First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium X-R Batt RWD Carbonized Gray
Country flag
My question is this:

Why does it take 10 days to assemble a Mach-E?

If you search for "how long does it take to build a car" The responses come back at between 18 & 48 hours..

Example:

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/how-long-does-it-take-to-assemble-a-pickup-truck/

I am not trying to be stupid here, I really am asking for opinions.

According to insideevs, there were about 6410 Mach-E cars produced between October and December. If we can assume a very modest increase in production to 3600 units for January, then the total is near 10,000 units for delivery to dealers.

https://insideevs.com/news/464723/ford-mustang-mache-production-exceeded-3000-month/

I understand that for the first few thousand vehicles that Ford would keep the the production line slow to work out any kinks in the manufacturing processes. But cars have been rolling off the line since October. Shouldn't things be running fairly smoothly by now with a real increase in the monthly volume of cars produced?

Just curious on how this all works.....

Jim
Sponsored

Peugfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Linc MKX, 2021 MME Prem 4EX Infinite Blue
Country flag
My question is this:

If you search for "how long does it take to build a car" The responses come back at between 18 & 48 hours..

Example:

According to insideevs, there were about 6410 Mach-E cars produced between October and December. If we can assume a very modest increase in production to 3600 units for January, then the total is near 10,000 units for delivery to dealers.

https://insideevs.com/news/464723/ford-mustang-mache-production-exceeded-3000-month/

I understand that for the first few thousand vehicles that Ford would keep the the production line slow to work out any kinks in the manufacturing processes. But cars have been rolling off the line since October. Shouldn't things be running fairly smoothly by now with a real increase in the monthly volume of cars produced?

Jim
Fords published numbers said they built 4250 Mach E's in Jan. Depends if you count time for sub assemblies and time between stages. There is building the battery packs, dash sub assembly, stamping out body shell and welding, painting the body, etc. Final run down the assembly line is likely done in a day.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
My question is this:

Example:

Jim
I have seen several VV outputs in here showing 3 days from body/paint to produced. That seems to fit in between 18 and 48 hours. A lot of the supply and logistics chain issues may be beyond Ford's control. It appears that things are picking up lately. I seem to remember somebody in here saying that the bottleneck is the incoming resources preventing them from doing something like adding another shift.

Jim_I

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium X-R Batt RWD Carbonized Gray
Country flag
I guess I just have a misunderstanding of what Ford means by "Sent to plant for production". I would have thought the sub-assemblies would be all complete except for stamping and painting of body panels, and that my car was heading down the assembly line.

I also thought that many/most of those sub-assemblies were done by outside contractors, like battery packs, dashboards, drive motor, transmission, seats, wiring harness, etc....

Would be interesting to know just how many are done in-house vs outside.

And I wonder exactly how many parts there are in the assemble of a Mach-E?

Jim

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
I guess I just have a misunderstanding of what Ford means by "Sent to plant for production". I would have thought the sub-assemblies would be all complete except for stamping and painting of body panels, and that my car was heading down the assembly line.

I also thought that many/most of those sub-assemblies were done by outside contractors, like battery packs, dashboards, drive motor, transmission, seats, wiring harness, etc....

Would be interesting to know just how many are done in-house vs outside.

And I wonder exactly how many parts there are in the assemble of a Mach-E?

Jim
Sent to plant means that Ford sent the order to the factory. You get a build week, a VIN, and a build day assigned. The actual build starts with a body shell put together and painted. The body is put on the chassis/battery assembly, and it starts down the line - this is the "trim" phase. When it is all put together and rolls of the line and a final QA, that is "produced". It then gets released and shipped this - is "in transit". Most of the sub-assemblies are put together and ready.

57 Cohibas

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 Cabriolet, Mach E Premium SR RWD ordered
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Sent to plant means that Ford sent the order to the factory. You get a build week, a VIN, and a build day assigned.
I received an email from Ford saying "Your vehicle is scheduled to be built the week of April 19, 2021." Is this the same as my order being sent to the factory? If so, where is the assigned VIN shown?

The Reservations & Orders section of my Ford Account has no intermediate status between SCHEDULED FOR PRODUCTION and BUILT.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I received an email from Ford saying "Your vehicle is scheduled to be built the week of April 19, 2021." Is this the same as my order being sent to the factory? If so, where is the assigned VIN shown?

The Reservations & Orders section of my Ford Account has no intermediate status between SCHEDULED FOR PRODUCTION and BUILT.
Not quite the same.

About a week or so before that date, you’re order will be sent to the factory snd you’ll also be able to get your window sticker at the Ford website. Closer to that date, you’ll also get a beginning of build date. The car will finish a week or so after that date.

You should be able to get your VIN from your dealer though.
Sponsored

Last edited: