Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
not closer in terms of performance.
I was thinking more in terms of everyday functionality. I came from an escape to the Mustang and yes, the Mustang is a LOT more fun, but when it comes to carrying people and things, the two are roughly equivalent, except for the Frunk on the Mustang, which is a huge advantage!

roamtheworld

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
The study is only looking at cars (not SUVs or trucks), so the 32 MPG is pretty accurate. If they were looking at the nationwide average of all vehicles on the road today, it would be closer to 25 MPG.
The #1-3 best selling vehicles for the past decade has been trucks! I know Toyota RAV4, and Honda CRVs are in the top 5 over that same time but I do not think the vast majority of vehicles in the past 12 years are getting 25-32MPG.

roamtheworld

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
yeah I don't think there's an easy 1:1 replacement for the MME or BEVs in general. I made this post a few weeks ago asking what car people would have if EVs didn't exist and the answers were all over the place:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...-would-you-have-instead-of-your-mach-e.25018/
We owned multiple SUVs (Expedition, CX-9, LR4, and Toyota Tacoma) and wanted to downsize since are kids are now teens and get better/cheaper gas milage. When the prices started creeping up in the spring of last year we decided that an EV would be a good purchase. We had looked some for EVs but not really. We first thought Tesla but didn't like the looks then my wife saw a MME and that started the process. I would not replace the MME with a ICE in the same size today except maybe a Volvo.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Consider yourself lucky and blessed. In the northeast, there's no such thing as "offpeak" rates. We pay 24 cents/kwh all year long.
I pay 6 cents/kwh off peak in Arizona. I have friends in Ca that pay much more, but then again their gas prices are much higher than ours also.

But then again, my electric company is requesting a 23% rate increase. Sleepy Joe stated that the IRA would reduce everyone's energy costs by $1800 per year, what a joke.

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag
The #1-3 best selling vehicles for the past decade has been trucks! I know Toyota RAV4, and Honda CRVs are in the top 5 over that same time but I do not think the vast majority of vehicles in the past 12 years are getting 25-32MPG.
What part of 'They are not looking at SUVs & trucks' are you not getting?

moparguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Miata, Mach E Select, Fusion
Country flag
My current consumption is sitting at 2.7 mi/kWh
Below are my rates, I need 37 kWh to do 100 miles, so it cost me $17 on the cheapest rate in summer and $19 in winter, so the study is not flawed.

In comparison, my Ford Fusion get me 24/25 mpg, gas is $4.09 per gallon and it cost $16.36 to do the 100 miles, we also have a Prius in the house that gets us 45 mpg, so it cost $9 for that very same 100 miles.

In San Diego, EA rate is 34 cents per kWh if you pay $4 membership fee, which a lot of people relay on that network to charge, it will cost me $12.58 to charge.

So electricity rates are not cheap, a lot of people are buying EVs without thinking of the consequences.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Per Study, ICE fueling costs fall below price of EV charging TOU-DR.JPG

Below is our EV friendly plan, EV-TOU5 , $16 monthly fee to get 15 cents at night, but check the rate on other times! up to 81 cents per kWh.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Per Study, ICE fueling costs fall below price of EV charging V TOU5.JPG

moparguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Miata, Mach E Select, Fusion
Country flag
With gas at $4 a gallon, and a car (midsize hybrid SUV) that typically gets 25 MPG for a tank, I'm paying 16 cents a miles. Or $16 to go 100 miles.

With off-peak electricity rates at roughly 33 cents a kWh, and getting roughly 3 miles per kWh, I'm paying about 12 cents per mile to drive the Mach-E, or $12 for 100 miles.

I'd have to get a car that gets at least 34 MPG before the Mach-E is more expensive to drive.

Cheapest Mach E though is $51k, a Toyota Rav4 XLE hybrid, will cost you $37k, will give you nearly 40mpg so ....

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I will add here that I think when you also consider purchase price versus the purchase price on a similar ICE, the numbers are likely in favor of getting the ICE for a lot of people simply because of the lower cost to buy.

But even before EVs, this was also true with hybrids. You were not going to 'save' buying a Prius compared to say an ICE Camry if you were planning to buy a new car, drive it for 10,000 miles a year, then trade it in after three years for something new.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
You know what's frustrating? Having sky-high electricity prices AND having over 75% of it sourced from natural gas. That's the case here in Massachusetts. You buy an EV and then you come to realize you're not saving money on fuel and you're still running on primarily fossil fuel.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Electric Vehicle Charge 0.00064
Looks like you could save by switching to Geico.
Or lying and saying you don't have an EV. The nonsense is real.

chuckles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 RWD Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I love how these articles are always Ca power prices
And the worst prices. California PG&E customer with their EV time-of-use plan here: charging from midnight through 3pm (!!) means $0.25/kW. 100 miles at 3.16 mi/kW (what ABRP thinks of my highway driving via the ODB dongle) = $7.91.

If you _only_ charged via Electrify America, without a membership, it'd be $0.43/kW, which is $13.58.

Gas around here costs $4.60. My Honda CIVIC gets 32 mpg: $14.38 for 100 miles.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Looks like you could save by switching to Geico.
Or lying and saying you don't have an EV. The nonsense is real.
I don't even what that fee is (they have no idea that I own an EV). I think fees like this fund programs that they advertise as if it were pure generosity and goodwill.
Sponsored