Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Mach-GT performance 255 driving range worked for 5 charges and now charges 100% to 216 miles on the 7th charge - 45 days I’ve had the car.

I’ve read technical articles range should decrease 2% a year. Note, have also read the newbie bashing about cold weather reduces ford Mach-e performance but do not see these comments with Tesla forums. I live in Houston and actually coldest had been 48 deg but actually was 73 deg when lost my range.

Why does Ford get a pass? I’ve called ford and they state, “That’s to be expected.” Actually, no.
if I try and sell my car now will need to identify range only 216- loss of value! Tesla cars second hand a few years old still have their range.

I’ve gone to my dealer and the state they don’t know much about “these new EVs!”

Any technical comments based on technical knowledge would be appreciated.
thanks
Actually, yes.
Sponsored

A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium 4X
Country flag
Look at your power consumption and how many miles/kwh you are getting. Could be you are driving super aggressively or high speed on highway leading to poor estimated range. Multiply the xx mi/kwh by 91 and thats your true range. Can look at where all the power has gone there as well
Like - ambient temperature loss?

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
Was waiting last night in the car for about 30 minutes w/ eHeat running at about 23c. Not blasting, not super hot, just comfortable. Seats off, steering heat off. Outside air temp was 3c.

I watched the GOM decrease from 101km, to 99km, to 98km.

Outside was cold, and I was running a 5kWh heater to stay warm.

So there ya go...

roamtheworld

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Funny how some have Zero worries about ICE vehicles not reporting correct mileage during cold, heat, wind, snow or rain. https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/atv.shtml
"Only about 12%–30% of the energy from the fuel you put in a conventional vehicle is used to move it down the road, depending on the drive cycle."
Who cares when you have a gas station on every corner to just fill it back up.

When you have an extremely efficient EV it matters.
https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/atv-ev.shtml
"An EV electric drive system is only responsible for a 15% to 20% energy loss compared to 64% to 75% for a gasoline engine." and "EVs are 60% to 73% efficient, depending upon drive cycle."

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I went on a short trip to a friend’s parents’ place over the weekend, about 83 miles each way. The Guess-O-Meter in my car read 241 miles when I left at 100%. On the way over there, I averaged 3.1 Mi/KWh. Temperature was in the mid to high 60s. On the way back home, I averaged 2.6 Mi/KWh. Temperature was in time mid to low 50s. Speed was mostly kept around 70 (ACC set to 72). There were pockets of traffic on both legs. Peak speed was 82. When I arrived home, I had 41% usable capacity reported. 59% used for 166 miles. That extrapolates to over 280 real miles for 100% of battery on a GT-PE that had a GOM that was estimating 240. 🤷‍♂️🐩

The GOM only tries to take a stab at estimating range based on several factors including recent driving history and current temperature. Real-world range can vary greatly based on these same factors. Please do not confuse the range estimate with range. 😊🐩

EDIT: My car was EPA rated at 260, so the extrapolation is a little surprising to me. I always assumed I would get worse real-world range than rated, especially on a freeway trip. 🤔🐩

Last edited:

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Was waiting last night in the car for about 30 minutes w/ eHeat running at about 23c. Not blasting, not super hot, just comfortable. Seats off, steering heat off. Outside air temp was 3c.

I watched the GOM decrease from 101km, to 99km, to 98km.

Outside was cold, and I was running a 5kWh heater to stay warm.

So there ya go...
Will you please stop using logic thought and reason, it has no place on the internet.

Funny how some have Zero worries about ICE vehicles not reporting correct mileage during cold, heat, wind, snow or rain. https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/atv.shtml
"Only about 12%–30% of the energy from the fuel you put in a conventional vehicle is used to move it down the road, depending on the drive cycle."
Who cares when you have a gas station on every corner to just fill it back up.

When you have an extremely efficient EV it matters.
https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/atv-ev.shtml
"An EV electric drive system is only responsible for a 15% to 20% energy loss compared to 64% to 75% for a gasoline engine." and "EVs are 60% to 73% efficient, depending upon drive cycle."
There is a reason for this. Besides nearly everyone clueless about cold weather causing longer warmups (less efficient), most don't even know what winter gas is or how it results in lower MPG, then the cold air lowers it more.

But the biggest reason is that ICE vehicles project range using past driving data, NOT including WEATHER. Therefore, I get say 500 miles of range on a full tank, then the next fill I get 475 miles, then the next fill I get 450 miles, then... They don't notice it. But the Mach-E is like the old guy farting in the room, the range drop is immediately noticed.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Another confused person due to Teslas tactics of just straight up lying about estimated range. It is frustrating because people genuinely believe their Teslas have the full range even in the cold. It's wild to me people don't notice that it actually doesn't go as far.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I understand that you are upset that your new car is broken. You are jumping to a false conclusion based on a tiny amount of information. Your car is fine; what is broken is the dealership that doesn't bother to learn anything about EVs.

As for Tesla: they lie to their customers who then end up trusting that incorrect range and can end up stranded because there wasn't a charging stop close enough. So, the real question is why TESLA "gets a pass".

For more reading, start with these 2 sticky threads:
1669642635087.png
How DARE you! Elon Musk would NEVER lie to anyone, especially a customer. Elon Musk (who freely bestows his blessings upon the world), is the epitome of openness, integrity, and absolute honesty!
😀😀😀😀
Ok, I’ve got to go vomit 🤮 now 😀😀😀

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Another confused person due to Teslas tactics of just straight up lying about estimated range. It is frustrating because people genuinely believe their Teslas have the full range even in the cold. It's wild to me people don't notice that it actually doesn't go as far.
So does Tesla just leave people stranded when they've got 50 miles left on their GOM?

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
So does Tesla just leave people stranded when they've got 50 miles left on their GOM?
I think the car will warn you you're not going to make it (with nav destination) because that does the normal GoM calculations. It's funny it'll say 326mi to empty then you put a destination in 270 miles away and it adds a charger stop because it knows you won't make it.

A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium 4X
Country flag
No, it just loses more than a mile from the GOM for every mile driven. It might say 300 miles / 100%, then 130 miles later you're down to 150 miles / 50% and then another 60 miles later you're down to 75 miles / 25% and you really only have 60 miles range left.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
No, it just loses more than a mile from the GOM for every mile driven. It might say 300 miles / 100%, then 130 miles later you're down to 150 miles / 50% and then another 60 miles later you're down to 75 miles / 25% and you really only have 60 miles range left.
So it's Tesla/Elon's classic overpromise, underdeliver, got it

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-e Premium standard range awd
Occupation
USPS Letter Carrier
Country flag
I understand that you are upset that your new car is broken. You are jumping to a false conclusion based on a tiny amount of information. Your car is fine; what is broken is the dealership that doesn't bother to learn anything about EVs.

As for Tesla: they lie to their customers who then end up trusting that incorrect range and can end up stranded because there wasn't a charging stop close enough. So, the real question is why TESLA "gets a pass".

For more reading, start with these 2 sticky threads:
1669642635087.png
Trust me! Tesla doesn’t get a pass! Sure there are fan boys, but it can get bad over there with people worried, way overly worried, about total displayed range when they charge to 100%. It doesn’t seem they need it anyway, and 80% charge is better for your battery in my opinion. It’s obsessing over lost range that only affects them by being displayed.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
As one drives, the GOM drops more quickly (to reflect the ACTUAL mi/kwh) - so you start your trip thinking you can go 300 miles but 100 or so miles into it you realize you only have another 75 to 100 miles before you're stuck. Assuming you look at the GOM in time you need to find a closer charger than the one you thought you could make. If you either don't notice it or there isn't a supercharger in range you have to find an alternative or you do get stuck

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
yes... its really disappointing to see lying work.

Tesla has had another impact in peoples thinking... many (most?) seem to think regen only works on 1 pedal driving (because that is how Teslas work). Virtually all hybrids and EV's (other than Tesla) use blended braking which maximizes regen before the friction brakes are used.
Sponsored