Porsche says One-Pedal is not the most effecient

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
there's always that one guy that comes here about once a year claiming 1pedal is the greatest thing ever invented.
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Because if the brake pads are wearing that means energy is being use to generate heat and not being put back in the battery.
And the same is true for 1PD as well.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
I am exhausted ...calisthenics
Same.
BTW I think the MME brakes drag more than they should. I drive a LOT in 1pd and drive very damn well, lifting off well in advance rolling/coasting to a stop as best I can. BUT ALL 4 of my wheels are covered in brake dust. So to me the blended brakes of the MME kick in far faster than they should in order to make this incredible amount of brake dust in 200 miles. I've driven my MME almost 1000 miles. But cleaned the brake dust from the wheels 5 times. 5! times in 41 days of possible driving. I don't beat on the car, call it what it is HVJB-splosion fear. So it's not like the front brakes need to kick in for much but damn.

hawkeye3point1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White ER RWD, Born on 12 Aug. '21
Country flag
BTW I think the MME brakes drag more than they should.
If your rotors are shiny, the caliper sliders may be getting sticky. Another ill effect of reduced brake use. If they are not, pads will shed dust more. I don't notice much dust myself. Living in the NE is hard on anything metallic, so I make it a habit to brake in neutral every time I drive. I also press hard on the brake pedal while stopped now and then to keep those calipers moving freely and to promote equal wear on the rear pads. Often the rear inner pads wear faster than the outers because normally braking rarely compresses the rear calipers enough to put much pressure on the outers.

Creegz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E California Route 1
Country flag
Hold on here...the argument has devolved from one-pedal driving being less efficient than two-pedal driving simply because some people are not delicate enough with the brake pedal?

When I run the car in engage or whisper modes and apply the brake, it is much less aggressive than the resistance braking in unbridled mode. I don't stab at the brake if I don't need to. I trail brake even coming to a stop; I don't want that jolt when it stops, so I avoid that.

With that being said, if I begin to touch the brakes with zero accelerator input, does that not engage the motors regen until a specific threshold of the brake pedal is applied?

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Hold on here...the argument has devolved from one-pedal driving being less efficient than two-pedal driving simply because some people are not delicate enough with the brake pedal?

When I run the car in engage or whisper modes and apply the brake, it is much less aggressive than the resistance braking in unbridled mode. I don't stab at the brake if I don't need to. I trail brake even coming to a stop; I don't want that jolt when it stops, so I avoid that.

With that being said, if I begin to touch the brakes with zero accelerator input, does that not engage the motors regen until a specific threshold of the brake pedal is applied?
Yes, that is correct. Which is what we have been trying to explain to Norm.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag

Yes and no.

They’re all equal**

**unless the driver isn’t as smooth in whatever mode.

To your question in the last paragraph, yup, that’s how it works.

Old_Norm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Select EAWD, 2023 Maverick Lariat LUX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes, that is correct. Which is what we have been trying to explain to Norm.
Explain what? I never said that using the brake pedal did not cause regenerative braking. I merely said all things being equal 1PD would result in more energy going back to the battery than 2PD. I have no problem with people disagreeing with me but at least be factual.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Welp, I give up. I knew I should've hit the Ignore button several pages back 😂
This isn’t the first thread on this subject. They always end up in mud up to the axles, and all for the same reasons.

Old_Norm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This isn’t the first thread on this subject. They always end up in mud up to the axles, and all for the same reasons.
Ok, let's clear some mud away. Everyone opposing my point of view has done so with opinions or anecdotes. Here is some real research for discussion.

Attachments

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Explain what? I never said that using the brake pedal did not cause regenerative braking. I merely said all things being equal 1PD would result in more energy going back to the battery than 2PD. I have no problem with people disagreeing with me but at least be factual.
It is a fact that you can press the brake pedal and no friction braking is used. You have provided zero facts to dispute that fact. And since that fact is the most important fact, I really don't understand why this is still a debate.

Old_Norm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It is a fact that you can press the brake pedal and no friction braking is used. You have provided zero facts to dispute that fact. And since that fact is the most important fact, I really don't understand why this is still a debate.
Calm down. Where did I ever say you could not press the brake pedal without engaging the brake pads. Making stuff up is no way to go through life son (apologies to Dean Wormer).

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Calm down. Where did I ever say you could not press the brake pedal without engaging the brake pads. Making stuff up is no way to go through life son (apologies to Dean Wormer).
You've said 1PD is more efficient because it doesn't use friction braking. If you drive the same way with 2PD, no friction braking will be used either. Exactly the same efficiency will be achieved. Again, it seems like this should be obvious but you keep arguing about it and making absolutely no sense.

Old_Norm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So you admit that I never said you couldn't use the brake pedal without engaging the brake pads. Thank you. You said, "If you drive the same way with 2PD, no friction braking will be used either." So with 2PD how do you stop the car with no friction braking?
Sponsored