Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I've found this to be a pretty common misconception at least in my friends and family circle (non are huge car aficionados, including myself). For most people, there's Tesla and then there's hybrid vehicles. When I told friends earlier that I was buying a Mustang EV they assumed it was a hybrid until I specifically told them it didn't use any gas. They were shocked!
the crazy part about this is that it just shows what guerrilla marketing and a fan base can do... it's not like the Leaf, Bolt, Volt, Kona, e-Tron, etc. etc. aren't out there. People just don't know (or care) about them.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
One nice thing about owning a MachE is that they will be fairly rare for about a year. I have yet to see another on the road.
I've seen one. I don't expect another random encounter for a long time.

shadowsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD + Ext Range
Country flag
the crazy part about this is that it just shows what guerrilla marketing and a fan base can do... it's not like the Leaf, Bolt, Volt, Kona, e-Tron, etc. etc. aren't out there. People just don't know (or care) about them.
I think Tesla has just done a great job of strangling the nascent EV market over the past few years. Their brand is ubiquitous in the EV world and has made pretty much every other EV through 2020 irrelevant. I do think the Mach-E is the first EV that will give them some serious competition, although reports of it being a "Tesla killer" are way off the mark and overblown.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
One nice thing about owning a MachE is that they will be fairly rare for about a year. I have yet to see another on the road.
That is completely location dependent.

I see at least one a week; followed one for a good 2 miles last week.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I think Tesla has just done a great job of strangling the nascent EV market over the past few years. Their brand is ubiquitous in the EV world and has made pretty much every other EV through 2020 irrelevant. I do think the Mach-E is the first EV that will give them some serious competition, although reports of it being a "Tesla killer" are way off the mark and overblown.
The biggest issue is production. Tesla sold 184k vehicles in Q1 2021 (182k of those Model3/Y). Ford sold 6k MachEs which is probably every car they had available. If Ford could produce more MachEs cars they could at least be much more competitive but Tesla is killing it right now.

Ixoye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB FE Mach e, ‘16 fusion energi, ‘14 Focus EV
Country flag
So far I have noticed almost 100% positive responses from female drivers.
On my trip back from Denver to Seattle, I had stopped at Walmart -EA station in Utah and a lady pulled her car (ICE) into one of the EV charging parking spots and walked by saying that the car sucked and isn't a mustang.

Not sure if she was just an EV hater (hence parking in the spot), or just a Mustang originalist. Either way it was the only negative feedback I have had in the 2200 miles driven so far.

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
That's when you wish for the bubble around the car on the screen to keep people from getting too close.
Yep, the blue bubble of happiness, like on the dash screen surrounding your car.

Ma9573

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Mach E CA Rte1
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Over the past week I've owned the car, I've had countless random people stop in parking lots, at red lights, at charging stations - all to ask questions and compliment the car and the color (infinite blue). Most seemed to already be aware of the Mach-E's existence but had never seen one in person before.

My favorite interaction so far was a pedestrian walking by me while I was stopped waiting for someone in front of me to parallel park. He asked me what kind of car this was, and I told him it's a Mustang SUV. His response: (widened eyes) "Holy sh** that's a Mustang???" ?
I love this car and have zero regrets, but if I were to buy another one, I'd get that Infinite Blue. If the customer cancelled one I'd seen on the lot when I bought my Shadow Black Route 1 was a Route 1 or RWD Ext I'd have it right now. I do love the black and it obviously turns a lot of heads, but man that Infinite Blue is my favorite of the non "flashy" colors. There's no doubt that Rapid Red and Grabber Blue are awesome, and too flashy for my wife to ever approve, but I could've gotten her on board with the Infinite Blue ?

After some negative feedback from my brother in law on their ID4 test drive, if we can be a little frugal over the next 6 months until my wife's X1 lease is up, we may go with another Mach E instead of a Bolt EUV or ID4. We're going to give every available crossover BEV a chance come September, can't increase our monthly payment much from the current $375, and ultimately the choice is hers... But man I love this Mach E, little quirks and all!

Ma9573

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Mach E CA Rte1
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
There's literally only 5 electric cars IMO that are unique enough to turn heads and get people talking. The 4 Teslas and the Mach E. The Taycan, Ipace and E-Tron look similar to the other models in their respective premium brands to blend in. The Kona and Niro are just versions of an ice car. The ID4, Bolt and Leaf are pretty pedestrian design-wise.

The Mach E design and usage of the Mustang name was brilliant, despite the small number of notamustang detractors.

GrumblesTheDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GB FE
Country flag
have someone doing some work at the house right now and he said "ok, I have to ask, why did you buy an electric Mustang?"

so I guess yay for awareness bad for... #NotAMustang?

I told him that I was looking for an EV (true), if they were willing to put the Mustang name on it, it is can't be too bad, right (true, and he laughed), and I've had a V8 in the past but at my age, it would just come across as a mid-life crisis car (true, and he laughed at that too).
Haha. I have used that line too - when I mention I got an electric Mustang, I often volunteer that it's not really a midlife crisis purchase, since it's much roomier than my original Prius and fits our car seats quite nicely!

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
There's literally only 5 electric cars IMO that are unique enough to turn heads and get people talking. The 4 Teslas and the Mach E. The Taycan, Ipace and E-Tron look similar to the other models in their respective premium brands to blend in. The Kona and Niro are just versions of an ice car. The ID4, Bolt and Leaf are pretty pedestrian design-wise.

The Mach E design and usage of the Mustang name was brilliant, despite the small number of notamustang detractors.
yeah, that's a fair point. (although I'd say the Leaf has a bit of the "weird EV egg shape" thing going on, but that's just my opinion :))

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Haha. I have used that line too - when I mention I got an electric Mustang, I often volunteer that it's not really a midlife crisis purchase, since it's much roomier than my original Prius and fits our car seats quite nicely!
when I truly buy a midlife crisis car, everyone will know it, because hard rock will be blaring out of the radio, potentially heard because the top will be down, but potentially hard to hear because of the 18.2L V16 or something. ?

MerryBrown

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Escape, Red Ford Mach-E on order
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
when I truly buy a midlife crisis car, everyone will know it, because hard rock will be blaring out of the radio, potentially heard because the top will be down, but potentially hard to hear because of the 18.2L V16 or something. ?
Oh this is absolutely my midlife crisis car! I just had to wait a few years past midlife to get it! ? and when I looked around me while I was joyriding a teeny tiny bit too fast, blaring the best tunes, I could, I noticed a bunch of us with a little snow on the roof or crinkles and smile lines driving the fancy fast fun cars.
Sponsored