Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I do not believe this is correct at all. The paid service is simply to give you a Wifi Cellular Hotspot inside your car. This has nothing to do with the car's connectivity, only for if you want to be able to have folks connect to Wifi from within your car. You could purchase a hotspot from any cell carrier you'd like, at any price, to achieve the same goal.

The car's connected services are part of the FordPass program, and you will receive 3 years (pretty sure it's 3 years, I could be wrong here) of this service with the purchase of your car. This is what allows your car to download OTAs, map info, charger info, etc.

This is exactly like it is on a multitude of cars on the roads now, like my Hyundai Veloster. I received 3 years of BlueLink free with purchase - this lets me check the status of the car, lock the doors, remote start, etc, from any internet connected device, because the car itself is "connected". I do not, however, have Wifi hotspot from within my car, as I don't need or would ever pay for such a feature.

I will note that some OTA's may require the car be connected to Wifi due to their size. If you don't/can't garage your car near Wifi - you could simply use your phone as a hotspot (assuming you have unlimited/enough data on your cell phone's plan) and connect your Mach-E to your phone's hotspot to download the OTA.
Correct.
Sponsored

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
Near perfect BEV weather. But is it perfect shipping weather?

Weather is lovely in that part of Mexico right now. High of 72°, low of 50°.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
Anyone have any idea of what the Wifi hotspot plans look like - pricing and data limits? Appears they are using AT&T.
1 gig is $10 per month
2 gigs is $15 per month
unlimited is $20 per month or $200 up front and save $40

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
The way the fordpass works in my current ford edge is that modem is always activated. That is how I am able to unlock/lock/start my car from the app any time from anywhere. Its always connected to Ford.

For the hotspot part, I can go to ATT and either setup a new plan for $20 a month or I can add it to whatever ATT plan I already have. On my unlimited plan it would only be $10 a month to add it last I checked.

But that modem is connected to Ford even if you don't opt for the internet plan.

balthisar

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Expedition; 2021 Mach E Premium AWD Extended
Occupation
Engineer@FoMoCo
Country flag
Hmmm... inspired by the "color showing up" as mentioned upthread, I just tried activating my FordPass once again.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Preview: FordPass App Activated with User’s Mach-E VIN IMG_4136.PNG
Ford Mustang Mach-E Preview: FordPass App Activated with User’s Mach-E VIN IMG_4131.PNG
Ford Mustang Mach-E Preview: FordPass App Activated with User’s Mach-E VIN IMG_4132.PNG
Ford Mustang Mach-E Preview: FordPass App Activated with User’s Mach-E VIN IMG_4134.PNG

Don't worry about that "recall" bit; that's for my Explorer.

With 31 miles on the odometer, I guess they've been using my car to go to Vips for lunch.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Seems pretty strange to me, and those 31 miles? ?

Some things you don't (or do) want to know.

Hmmm... inspired by the "color showing up" as mentioned upthread, I just tried activating my FordPass once again.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Preview: FordPass App Activated with User’s Mach-E VIN IMG_4134.PNG

With 31 miles on the odometer, I guess they've been using my car to go to Vips for lunch.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag

mine shows the color and says to activate go to vehicle details. I go there and there is zip. What am I doing wrong???

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Looks like yours is parked in that northeast lot at the plant.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Must be a Michigan thing. :D Or that the car is being used for joy rides, or he has another ford already, no idea. I would be more concerned if mine was accessible, had 31 miles on it and it was at the krispy kreme. ;)

mine shows the color and says to activate go to vehicle details. I go there and there is zip. What am I doing wrong???

Last edited:

balthisar

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Expedition; 2021 Mach E Premium AWD Extended
Occupation
Engineer@FoMoCo
Country flag
I'm not worried about the extra miles. Some cars are selected for extra testing, and mine is the one that someone else posted that was built back on 31-October. It's probably been on the test track a few times. Hopefully that doesn't induce any squeaks and rattles and bits falling off (sigh, like my Explorer).

Or it's being used for joyrides.

JBB_JD

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME FE, 22 Escape Hy, 20 Fusion Hy, 20 Escape
Country flag
My F-Pace came with AT&T as the only option. I used it for free for ~6 months. Since then, I use my Verizon cell as hotspot or WiFi when in the garage. Jag just started doing OTA updates last year so I have only gotten 1 but I have never missed AT&T. I would only consider AT&T if I were already a customer or lived somewhere that only their towers existed. With wireless charging and unlimited Verizon, I think I will be all set. My build date is this week so I hope to get alerts soon. Next question - can I watch Netflix, Disney+ or YouTubeTV on that massive screen?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Not currently.
The videos in the owner's manual might just be links to the videos on YouTube. If so, then it plays those fine....

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I'm not worried about the extra miles. Some cars are selected for extra testing, and mine is the one that someone else posted that was built back on 31-October. It's probably been on the test track a few times. Hopefully that doesn't induce any squeaks and rattles and bits falling off (sigh, like my Explorer).

Or it's being used for joyrides.
Or drug runs?
Sponsored