Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
I just set up my new JuiceBox32 with a time of day setting to test it.

Although the FordPass Home location is set to max 90% SOC, the JuiceBox stopped charging at 82% SOC because it “reached maximum energy level”. When I turned off Time of Day it charged up to the 90%.

Attached are snapshots of my settings. What am I doing wrong?

C17F703A-FBD0-43F7-8F59-9000E761CEF6.png

652FF9AF-AA40-4428-837F-0A2EA3DB30D3.png

walla2

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Prem ER AWD, 2017 Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Clergy
Country flag
I've got a JuiceBox as well, albeit the 40A model. (Set in software to charge at 32A to go easy on the battery).

Just to double-check, you're looking at 82% SOC on the MME and not by the (completely useless) SOC indicators in the JuiceBox app, right? There's no communication of SOC between MME and the EVSE - JuiceBox tries to guess, and does a terrible job of it.

I've largely programmed all the time of day stuff into the MME; in fact, my utility isn't in JuiceBox's database. All in all, it just seemed to work better to let the car be the computer, and let the EVSE be the power supply. In hindsight, I probably should have bout a Grizzl-E or Clipper Creek Dumb EVSE... oh well.

Tim_C

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E FE GB
Country flag
You might want to check the settings on this screen, you can adjust the limiter arrows on the inside of the “dial”.

I think the JuiceBox also might accumulate the charge energy of multiple charge sessions. Since it’s not aware of energy being used, eventually you reach the 88kWh limit even though the car’s battery isn’t actually full.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Programming a JuiceBox EVSE FF90E856-DC21-4356-8146-1B8DCF43CD8B

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I'll assume it's not the obvious that you have the JuiceBox set to a low charging rate, and it didn't reach 90% charge during that 12 hour window?

Setting the JuiceBox for off-peak ensures that the car can't charge just because it wants to (hiccup), or because it wants to heat the battery.

OP
OP
ChuckA

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
I've got a JuiceBox as well, albeit the 40A model. (Set in software to charge at 32A to go easy on the battery).

Just to double-check, you're looking at 82% SOC on the MME and not by the (completely useless) SOC indicators in the JuiceBox app, right? There's no communication of SOC between MME and the EVSE - JuiceBox tries to guess, and does a terrible job of it.

I've largely programmed all the time of day stuff into the MME; in fact, my utility isn't in JuiceBox's database. All in all, it just seemed to work better to let the car be the computer, and let the EVSE be the power supply. In hindsight, I probably should have bout a Grizzl-E or Clipper Creek Dumb EVSE... oh well.
82% SOC on the MME.

In order to get the utility rebate in CT I had to buy one on a list of supported EVSE chargers. I chose JuiceBox because it had a 2’ pigtail. My 240v outlet was installed without a permit so I wanted to be safe. I would have run at 32A in any case. The mobile charger worked fine for 9 months but I wanted to keep it in the car trunk.

I don’t know if I need to program TOD in the JuiceBox so the utility can access the data. My guess is that the data is captured even if it’s programmed on the MME only.

OP
OP
ChuckA

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
I'll assume it's not the obvious that you have the JuiceBox set to a low charging rate, and it didn't reach 90% charge during that 12 hour window?

Setting the JuiceBox for off-peak ensures that the car can't charge just because it wants to (hiccup), or because it wants to heat the battery.
It reached 82% at midway in the charging window.

walla2

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Prem ER AWD, 2017 Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Clergy
Country flag
I don’t know if I need to program TOD in the JuiceBox so the utility can access the data. My guess is that the data is captured even if it’s programmed on the MME only.
Totally agree. Given JuiceBox doesn't have a way to "login to your utility provider" with a unique identifier or username and password - but rather, only a way to select the timing of your provider's TOU plan from the database - I'd be mighty surprised if the utility can access the data. (But I could be wrong! Wouldn't be the first time!). They'll be able to see it on the demand from your meter.

The provider just doesn't want you buying a "dumb EVSE" that isn't TOU programmable.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The JuiceBox does not accumulate charging sessions until it hits 88 (or 91) and then stop, at least not mine.

HOWEVER, if you go to the Added Energy screen, you can take your finger and move the current energy level to anything. If you moved that to some level, and then it went to charge, it may have stopped at the 88. Make sure that is set to zero.

Also, the utility company receives the data directly from JuiceBox.

OP
OP
ChuckA

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
Totally agree. Given JuiceBox doesn't have a way to "login to your utility provider" with a unique identifier or username and password - but rather, only a way to select the timing of your provider's TOU plan from the database - I'd be mighty surprised if the utility can access the data. (But I could be wrong! Wouldn't be the first time!). They'll be able to see it on the demand from your meter.

The provider just doesn't want you buying a "dumb EVSE" that isn't TOU programmable.
The JuiceBox is networked into my
WI-FI and the utility has the model number and 28 number ID. They can access the data.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The JuiceBox is networked into my
WI-FI and the utility has the model number and 28 number ID. They can access the data.
Your utility company can't access anything on your charger.

Juicebox (i.e. Enel X) provides them an interface to get the data. Without Enel X participating, your utility company can't get squat. Otherwise, you could give the serial number to anyone and they could access it. Nope.

OP
OP
ChuckA

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
Your utility company can't access anything on your charger.

Juicebox (i.e. Enel X) provides them an interface to get the data. Without Enel X participating, your utility company can't get squat. Otherwise, you could give the serial number to anyone and they could access it. Nope.
Thanks for the clarification. I guess that’’s why JuiceBox is a recommended EVSE by my utility for the rebate.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Bingo.

Mrn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMES
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
Anyone have experience with electrical installers in the Tucson area? I'm looking to have a 240v/50 amp outlet installation for the level 2 charger provided with the Mach-e put in my garage.

Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
ChuckA

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
Anyone have experience with electrical installers in the Tucson area? I'm looking to have a 240v/50 amp outlet installation for the level 2 charger provided with the Mach-e put in my garage.

Thanks in advance.
Here’s the specifications: make sure the 14-50 plug outlet is flush with the wall. Industrial grade recommended.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Programming a JuiceBox EVSE D44A43F3-7F6E-47B1-8209-FB75FB7C3B66

JRuggiero

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E GT
Country flag
I have a juicebox 40 and it charges when there is clean energy on the grid. I set what charge level the battery has when I plug in, what percent I want to charge to and what time I need it charged by. It knows the battery capacity and then figures out how many kw to transfer - only by you inputting the charge and vehicle settings. What I noticed is that there is no adjustment for any loss through the ac/dc converter at the vehicle charger. If my battery has 60% when I plug in, I tell the juicebox app that I plugged in with 55%. It’s set to charge to 90% and will usually fall between 89-91%.

Its not a perfect science, but you have to assume, the charger is losing +/- 7% between what it draws from the wall and what goes in the battery. So if you need 20% charge (18.2 kw), you need to tel the juicebox to give you 19.5 kw. The juicebox would need to give you 21.5%.

I’m not going to sit there and try to do the math every time I plug in, so I just tell the juicebox app I have 1-2% less charge when plugged in for every 10% I need to charge.
Sponsored

Last edited: