Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
I have been a juicebox 32 for about three years now with zero issues. Have to ask....is the box grounded? My understanding is the car will not charge on ungrounded chargers.....
Sponsored

exact33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Fusion
Country flag
I just got mine and it worked (although I did not install the juicebox app)

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Missing a lot of information. What happens when you plug it in? It should indicate charging has started. It hasn't but the EVSE and the MME are communicating. After 10-15 seconds the EVSE should shut off and indicate it's not charging.

If that is happening then my guess is that you've somehow set time of day charging. If it's not then my guess is there is something wrong with the EVSE. If it starts charging and faults then my guess is there is a second GFCI on the circuit. (The EVSE should indicate a fault).

06VistaGT

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach E, '06 Mustang GT, '06 Explorer, '15 CRV
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
Mine has worked fine with the mme. I agree that it would be helpful to know exactly what happens when you plug in.

For me, I hear distinct clicks from the car and the juicebox a second or two after plugging in. Then the car starts "buzzing". Charger light blinks green, I think (car is in the shop, so cannot test right now) to indicate charging has started. Note that I haven't set up any charging schedules yet. Plug in and unplug to start/stop charging.

OP
OP

Sundevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Played with it some more just now.

First I set the car to charge when plugged instead of on a schedule. Turned off all schedules on the juicebox as well. Confirmed the juicebox was online and in standby (all white led bar, status screen in app shows 60 Hz 243 volts). Plugged in, car detects the plug but doesn't charge. The status light on the port is solid white, with two sections. Inside the car I don't see any warning etc, just the note that it is plugged in. As far as it being grounded, this is a plug in box and the Ford mobile charger works using the same 240V outlet so I would assume it is.
That other 50 page thread did note some people in illinois thought it was because they were getting too high voltage out of their outlet. With the juicebox reading 243 volts for me I guess it could be related but I would expect the Ford mobile charger wouldn't work either if that was the case. Didn't have an issue charging with that.

Pcspilot

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E First Edition, 2014 Toyota RAV4 EV
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
I’ve got a JuiceBox 40 plug-in that I’ve been using for 3 years with a RAV4 EV. It’s working great with the Mach-E. Milwaukee area.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
I have a Juicebox 40 that I have been using for 3 years without issue. It is from before Enel bought Juicebox. It works on the Mach-E and on my wife's LEAF. I did buy a Chargepoint 6 months ago, so the Juicebox is now dedicated to the LEAF.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
That other 50 page thread did note some people in illinois thought it was because they were getting too high voltage out of their outlet. With the juicebox reading 243 volts for me I guess it could be related but I would expect the Ford mobile charger wouldn't work either if that was the case. Didn't have an issue charging with that.
243V is not at all high. Nominal voltage could be as high as 252 and still be within ANSI utility specs. The Illinois people suspecting high voltage were reporting numbers like 257V.
And you are correct in that the EVSE just sends the line voltage to the car. Your car should be seeing the same voltage from the Juicebox as the Mobile Charger.

Jim_I

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium X-R Batt RWD Carbonized Gray
Country flag
Did you set up the Juicebox app to tell it what kind of car it will attach to?

On the page that shows the EVSE status, on the top right of the screen are three lines. Tap on those and you will get a screen to set up your vehicle. Name it and pick it from a list of vehicles. Make sure you put in the correct battery size, driving range, and charging rate (9.8 kw for a Juicebox Pro 40).

Worth a try....

Jim

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
The issue in Illinois turned out to be a problem with the power grid in the area. If you were to put a scope on AC power you would normally see a sine-wave as the voltage swings from high to low and back again. In Illinois they were getting chopped off "dirty" power and this tricked the car into thinking that it didn't have reliable power and couldn't charge.

When I talked to Ron at the Mustang event he said it was a very easy fix (via software) once they knew what they were dealing with. This area in Illinois seems to be the only place in the country where the power grid has these problems.

For those in Illinois, it's my understanding that the cars wouldn't charge on any charger connected to that same power grid. They would charge at the dealers... but the dealers have triple-phase (industrial) power ... not the same as what a homeowner gets.

This Juicebox issue sounds like a calibration problem. The EVSE and car both "talk" to each other via the Proximity Pin and Control Pilot Pin on the J1772 connector (the thinnest connectors on the J1772 plug). They do this by supplying low-voltage, cycling it high/low at a specific clock rate & duty cycle, and the car applies resistance to the voltage to indicate when it wants to pull power.

It's possible either the car isn't recognizing what the JuiceBox is trying to do... or it is, and it responds by applying the resistance, but the JuiceBox isn't responding by switching on the 240v power.

Either way ... since other chargers work (including newer JuiceBox chargers) ... it makes me suspect something is a little out of spec with your slightly older model. I would contact them to find out if there might possibly be a software update available.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Try to find a free public L2 charger nearby when you have time. See if your MME charges from that one. If do, it’s added ammunition that your Juicebox EVSE is the culprit. If it doesn’t charge off a public L2 charger then it’s time for a trip to the dealer. I’d suspect your own evse first though.

OP
OP

Sundevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Thanks everyone for the replies, I'll try to contact enel x via phone tomorrow, already sent an online request.

I did also try adding the car to the juicebox app, first thing I did when I got the car. So didn't work with it added then tried deleting to see if that would help but nothing either.

JayDoc

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey , BMW 320i
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
I'm having trouble getting my mach e to charge with my juicebox 40. Only got the car last weekend, had the juicebox installed late last year when I thought the home charger tax credit would expire. When I plug it in it doesn't start charging, Ford pass usually just says plugged in not charging. Works fine with the Ford mobile charger. Anyone have a similar issue?
I also bought a Juicebox 40 but only a few months ago. Couldn't control some of the feature via wifi so contacted support. Very quick answer to my problems.

OP
OP

Sundevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Enel X responded to my online support request. They are replacing the juicebox.

harrysiii

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GTPE DMG; '18 Pacifica Limited
Country flag
How are things going with JuiceBox lately for everyone? After watching/reading some reviews I was leaning towards them, but want to make sure they're making a solid product. I really want all the wifi features of whichever I buy (GOOD app!). Thanks!
Sponsored