Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You don't need a key for the valet.

When you activate Valet mode, it gives you an 8 digit code that looks like this:

12345-678​
The instructions tell them to use the first 5 digits on the door keypad to unlock the car, then use all 8 digits to start the car.

Just in case the valet doesn't write it down... it also sends a message to your Ford Pass app reminding you of the temporary code AND sends you an email with the temporary code.

When you walk out to get your car, you can remind the valet of the codes.

No valet key necessary.
Wow, so it actually does that?

When I first saw it had Valet Mode a year ago, that's what I figured it was. But then I read something later that said all Valet mode did was lock all personal info (contacts, driving history, etc) on the screen so a valet couldn't get to it.

So it really does unlock and drive the car? Cool. Does it self-expire? After how long?

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Wow, so it actually does that?

When I first saw it had Valet Mode a year ago, that's what I figured it was. But then I read something later that said all Valet mode did was lock all personal info (contacts, driving history, etc) on the screen so a valet couldn't get to it.

So it really does unlock and drive the car? Cool. Does it self-expire? After how long?
I don’t think it self expires . I could be wrong. It’s temp key though so May be it remembers until you turn off valet mode with your keys

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Does it self-expire? After how long?
According to the manual ... it stays in that mode until it is able to connect to Phone-as-a-Key or to a physical key fob. Then it auto-cancels the valet mode and switches over to using your key.

mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E '21, Premium Mach-E '22
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
This is interesting for non-Ford owners. It requires 2 original key fobs but you get an idea...

Guess they need to use something like this since we only start with 1 fob.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
FWIW, my dealer is a small one so they farm out making keys/fobs to a local guy that comes by once a week in a van with all the goodies. He tried to make a new fob for me yesterday and couldn't. He said "the software needed to be updated" to do it, so he's checking into it and will get back to me in a few days.

He wanted $200 for the fob including programming....

mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Looks like a programmer starts around $350 but easily go up to $1-2k range.

https://www.amazon.com/Programming-...mmer+2021&qid=1614276394&s=automotive&sr=1-36

If its $350, I would buy it, share it with all the Mach-e owners in SoCal, rather than forking out $400 per key. Have a meet up just to program the 2nd fob. What a pain. Even the various Ford part dept guys was surprised..."What! It only came with ONE fob? We've been giving out 2 for years."

Carlsbad9

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E First Edition
Occupation
Home Loan Broker
Country flag
Technically, yes. But it will look a little weird without the top loop that's attached to the key blank and there won't be any way to attach it to a keychain. I just ordered the fob portion in case that pricing is a mistake :)
Where did you order this from? My dealership says they haven't even been released yet to order.

1612919842156.png

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt; Porsche Boxster; Chevy Blazer; Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
FWIW, my dealer is a small one so they farm out making keys/fobs to a local guy that comes by once a week in a van with all the goodies. He tried to make a new fob for me yesterday and couldn't. He said "the software needed to be updated" to do it, so he's checking into it and will get back to me in a few days.

He wanted $200 for the fob including programming....
I called a non-dealership auto-locksmith to program my new fob. He said it’s the one vehicle he cannot program right now because it’s so new. Looks like I’ll have to call the local dealerships to get a programming quote.

FPLiptak

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Well, had to have my car delivered from out of state. Without my knowledge the dealership being thoughtful believed that my second fob had been lost in transit so they attempted for a few hours to program me a second fob with no success. Eventually they gave up and sent the car on its way with one fob and a promise to credit me for the lost one, who am I to argue. I think they tried to program a regular Mustang fob. I would love a second fob.
Spoke with my salesperson yesterday and he said that Ford will send a second keyfob to the owner after the sales is completed for no charge. I plan to get that in writing when we pick up the car on Friday (03/05/21). We shall see!

EDIT / UPDATE

Went to the dealership today and spoke with the salesman who had spoken to the Ford Rep and confirmed that ONLY ONE KEY is delivered with the car and NO ADDITIONAL KEY WILL BE SUPPLIED BY Ford.

This has to change. We ALL are owed a 2nd key at no cost.

I don't have a twitter account but it looks like it is time to get one and dally send a message to Ford that we deserve a 2nd key

Last edited:

mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Spoke with my salesperson yesterday and he said that Ford will send a second keyfob to the owner after the sales is completed for no charge. I plan to get that in writing when we pick up the car on Friday (03/05/21). We shall see!
I'll believe it when I get it in the mail but cross our fingers that this is legit and for all buyers. ?

It doesn't make send though...don't we have to get the fob programmed? Wouldn't it be easier if they just hand out 2 at the time of purchase?

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
No offense, but I find that very difficult to believe. We have forum members going on a month after purchase and none of them have reported this information and none have reported getting a FOB in the mail.

We also have evidence from Ford corporate that 1 FOB is intentional.

Now, that said, it is clear from this forum that the PaaK feature is very much broken so perhaps there has been a change of heart from Ford. We shall see.

On a related note, I take delivery today and will bring my second FOB with me to get programmed. I will report back results

mylittlepony

First Name
Dominick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE
Country flag
I went to my dealer's parts department today to ask about a spare key fob. His initial response was $250 for the key fob and $200 to program for a total of $450. I then asked if it would cost more to have another key fob made if I lost the only key fob that came with my Mach-E. He said he didn't know because his $450 quote is based on having one key fob to use for programming another key fob. He did not know that the Mach-E only comes with one key fob. He said he would do some research and that I should call him at the end of the week for a quote. If it cost anywhere near $400 for another key fob, I may pass and live with PaaK.
I emailed my dealer and asked about an extra fob and they quoted me $400 for another one.
Sponsored