Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Edge Sport
Occupation
Fraud Analyst
Country flag
Ok, this is from DAErik, a Tesla focused YouTuber. He has really great content. He recently did a road trip charging cost video. I was really shocked. Let's discuss.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Pirelli73

Pirelli73

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Edge Sport
Occupation
Fraud Analyst
Country flag
So I did a few trips that I would normally do and the cost isn't bad at all. From Georgia to Orlando would only be $24.00. So I'm going to say that it would depend on where you are in the country and the availability of charges on your route. I believe the Electrify America network Is really good and I'm sure they will be making more charges before the release.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
A Better Route Planner is using the highest possible rate per minute for EA instead of the member rates. If you are a member the costs per minute will be lower. You could probably reduce the Mach-E cost estimate by about 30% from what they show in the clip (EA costs do vary by state so just for rough estimate purposes). If Ford and EA offer a special program for Mach-E we could see even lower rates per minute.

FordPass network will consolidate the other charging networks so only one payment method is needed. And since EA is rolling out the 'plug and charge' functionality you won't have to mess with payments while charging. Just plug in and the payment is handled behind the scenes like Tesla's is.

Last edited:

mark360

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 AWD(OLD), Ford Raptor
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
I believe Ford has negotiated with EA for a special rate (probably an EA member for life buying a Mach E which sees 30% cheaper rates) and their ford pass app is a handoff service that will likely be free or require a yearly subscription, similar to the Tesla model 3 premium subscription.

All speculation at this point.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
On the clip you can back into the $0.99 per minute rates by looking at the charge time and costs.

What has been said so far is the FordPass will consolidate the charging networks so only one payment method is required. No FordPass pricing has been disclosed that I'm aware of. But I'm hopeful that Ford and EA will have a special rate program set up for us.

If you review the EA website there are membership charging rates which are lower than $0.99 per minute.

We've had quite the chat about Tesla vs Mach-E charging over here:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...r-kwh-are-now-while-electrify-america-is.269/

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
While CA enforcing charging by the kwh rather than time is good, as with everything chargers will still be grand fathered in to time based nonsense and will be for a very long time.

When it comes to long journeys only tesla gets it, the rest haven't got a clue and it is embarrassing, sure it will get better in time . Would it be interesting to do one of my regular long trips in the mach-e sure but as it stands it won't be fun, will take twice as long and be more expensive than taking either focus.

Until that situation improves, the mach-e will be limited to commuting and local errands duties only for me.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The I-70 route through Utah they used is kinda deceiving, because there's no non-Tesla charger around the direct midpoint from Grand Junction to Richfield (Tesla has one in Green River). So you have to do a 30-mile detour (each way) off of I-70 to Moab, and use a super-slow charger to boot. When EA finally puts a charger in Green River (which is a no-brainer), then it won't be nearly as bad.

My main road trip is Denver to Las Vegas, so I've been checking that route out thoroughly on ABRP.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ok, this is from DAErik, a Tesla focused YouTuber. He has really great content. He recently did a road trip charging cost video. I was really shocked. Let's discuss.
Frankly, cost is down at #3 or #4 on my list of road trip considerations. Number of stops and charging times are both above the fuel cost (unless of course the cost were really outrageous).

That's why I'm leaving the BEV at home and taking the ICE for road trips. The BEV will simply be designated our around-home car. If all goes according to plan, we'll do 100% of our charging at home in our garage.

mark360

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 AWD(OLD), Ford Raptor
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
Ford may even have a free year charging through EA. Three years would be outstanding.

Mach Dad

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, 2014 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I've read before that Ford is going to give Mach E owners a 2 year subscription to EAs network. Not free charging but you get the members pricing.
Sponsored