Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
I decided to take the trip from Bar Harbor to Augusta Maine via Route’s 1 and 3, to pick up an item I left at a family members house and see my true range. We were fully charged to start. Temp was 45 degrees F. I did not use climate but did have my heated seat and steering wheel on. Anyway, it showed 193 miles range on the “range o meter”. I drove 5 MPH over the limit and used the adaptive cruise 98% of the trip with stop and go. The majority of the trip was at 60 MPH. My Ford Pass app locked up on my phone so I did not get a ”My Journey” trend, Darnit. The return trip was the exact same route. While in Augusta I took my mother for a 10 mile spirited drive to show off my ride and the self parking feature. It warmed to 55F when I departed. I briefly stopped at a site on Route 3 in Augusta where my grandfather ran the Fort Western Texaco station in the 60’s. I still have his overalls that say “You can trust your car to the man who wears the star”. I thought that was fitting with a new EV.

The average for the trip on the trip meter was 3.7 Mi/kW. The trip was overall 195.7 miles. When I arrived home I had 18% battery and 34 miles showing. So 230 overall miles of range.

I am charging all day to get the true kWh but .18*68=55.76. That calcs to 3.5 Mi/kW. Here are some start and finish pics and a few highlights. I always take a picture of a new vehicle with the Verona Island bridge in the background.

Good to know it is true to range and if I had used climate I would probably have lost 10% and been in the 211 mile rated range.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Range Test today 50 degrees F, Mach E AWD Select......Rt 1&3, 230 Miles F763C25E-8011-406B-8724-4033EB5E4E9B
Ford Mustang Mach-E Range Test today 50 degrees F, Mach E AWD Select......Rt 1&3, 230 Miles A768E76F-A589-42D8-B381-9BB92FA98F67

Ford Mustang Mach-E Range Test today 50 degrees F, Mach E AWD Select......Rt 1&3, 230 Miles 820085CA-7992-4C98-97A8-C017E2CE50B1

Ford Mustang Mach-E Range Test today 50 degrees F, Mach E AWD Select......Rt 1&3, 230 Miles 56D7BF4A-0C99-4024-BB8E-ECD2900464DC

Ford Mustang Mach-E Range Test today 50 degrees F, Mach E AWD Select......Rt 1&3, 230 Miles 52F119F4-DFF9-4230-B8B4-ADBECFE20630

Ford Mustang Mach-E Range Test today 50 degrees F, Mach E AWD Select......Rt 1&3, 230 Miles 24900F50-F606-4466-8A60-EEF01F73EEF0

Last edited:

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Thanks for the report. Just curious, what is the Route 1 in the title referring to?

OP
OP
Nklem

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Thanks for the report. Just curious, what is the Route 1 in the title referring to?
Route 1 in Maine. That’s where is starts or ends....

ADowd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Select AWD Standard Range
Country flag
Hello,
I was just browsing for information on expected range, and I saw your post. It is so funny because my family and I were driving to and from Bar Harbor today too. Unfortunately we were in our Subaru because of range anxiety. We only picked up our new Select AWD standard range car on Friday, and the range at 100% says 170 miles. We didn't think we could make the round trip without an intermediate charge, which we weren't confident we could find in Bar Harbor. Can you tell me what your screen tells you for expected range at 100%? I am seriously wondering if our car is defective. We ordered it with the expectation that we would get at least 200 miles on a full charge. Thanks!

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Hello,
I was just browsing for information on expected range, and I saw your post. It is so funny because my family and I were driving to and from Bar Harbor today too. Unfortunately we were in our Subaru because of range anxiety. We only picked up our new Select AWD standard range car on Friday, and the range at 100% says 170 miles. We didn't think we could make the round trip without an intermediate charge, which we weren't confident we could find in Bar Harbor. Can you tell me what your screen tells you for expected range at 100%? I am seriously wondering if our car is defective. We ordered it with the expectation that we would get at least 200 miles on a full charge. Thanks!
Welcome to the forum. Use the built-in navigation to plan the trip. This will help you locate charging stations, and it's more trustworthy than the guessometer (the range remaining shown on the dash, which can be overly pessimistic).

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Hello,
It will. The estimated range is conservative. To find a charger the onboard nav or plugshare.com will help you find one. Planning a trip I suggest abetterrouteplanner.com.

more on the range estimator:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ulate-how-far-your-mach-e-can-really-go.6104/

OP
OP
Nklem

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Update from real Charging Data. Ford Pass says it took 58.16 kWh, my chargepoint point says 63.33. I have pretty much proven my Hyundai’s charger is 92% efficient. So 63.33*.92=58.26. So the Ford Pass ap and my ChargePoint are spot on. As well as the charger is confirmed at 92% efficient, at converting AC to DC. That’s a pretty standard efficiency.

So 195.7 Miles/58.26kWh=3.4M/kWh actual.

That equates to 114.6 MPGe

or as I like to put it in real numbers, if my car runs on mid grade ($3.31/gallon), and my Utility Power cost for that power was $10.75, it’s equivalent to a gas car that gets 197.5 Miles/($10.75/$3.31) Gallons) or

61 MPG With gas at $3.31/gallon. (BTW at $4/gallon, which will be soon enough, that equals 73.4 MPG)

That’s pretty awesome in a car as powerful and sweet as the Mach-E. Even better coming from a Ram truck that got 18 MPG on mid grade and did not go 0-60 in 5.2.

OP
OP
Nklem

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Hello,
Happy to help. You need the drive the battery down to 30% or less and let the computer calculate the new range when charging back to 100%. It needs to calibrate-the computers. Mine said 170 something when I picked it up last Saturday brand new from the dealer and it had only 14 miles. I have driven 791 miles as of today so now I am getting great charge range reported. After this charge it showed 226 miles of range on the dash At 48 F, Which is close to my trip today. I am sure it will be higher at 75F and less at 30F.

Great choice not bringing it to Bar Harbor. The closest DC fast charger is in Augusta, 95-106 miles away and there are only 4 level 2s (free) that you would have to fight over in Town. Maine is so behind on infrastructure. We need DC fast Charging in Bangor or Ellsworth to make the State EV worthy. I understand it’s coming but it was coming in 2019 when I bought my Hyundai too. We have one in Skowhegan and Farmington..Who the heck vacations in Skowhegan or Farmington, Maine? Just real poor decisions on locations.

best of luck with your Mach-E. Next time your in the area, send me a message. I would love to get a pic of a few on the top of Cadillac.

BTW I did not order the rain today.....I hope it did not spoil your trip.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nklem

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Hello,
By the way I tried to convince another Camden resident to go Mach E but he did not bite. He is a consultant of mine. They have 1 AWD select in black with tech left at Darlings....in Bangor.

ADowd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Select AWD Standard Range
Country flag
Thanks so much for all of this helpful information. I am very reassured to hear that your car was reading 170 miles on the range when you picked it up also. We will take your advice, drive down the charge level, and look forward to the next calculation (knowing it will still be conservative).

BTW, that Cadillac picture may have to wait some time. Acadia was packed despite the cold and rain.

Thanks again!

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
AA test - Audi eTron VS Mach E

Sponsored