Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
You must compare apples with apples, so if you take the phase shift of 120 degrees into account you also have to use the 400 Volt (the max amplitude between 2 shifted phases instead of 230V. So 3^1/2*400*16A=11kWh but in short you can take 3*230*16=11kWh. Either way around :)
Now I understand our miscommunication! In the US, we always refer to the phase-to-phase voltage when talking about 3 phase loads.

Having said that, I also should have known what you meant, since I used to design equipment for use in Europe - always 400V!
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Last edited:

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
It is only correct when you know how to do the math?
It’s not entirely my fault that we Americans tend to think the entire world revolves around us. Once I saw that we are talking about Europe, I should have added “… in the USA”.

prdude

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White w/Gray MME Prem ER RWD, 01 Miata
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
Anyone know if I get an MME and trickle charge at night with a 120v connection will it make that noise? That could be a deal-breaker... my garage shares a wall with a neighbor's bedroom (the joy of duplexes). Thanks!
You should not experience this level of cooling fan noise, when L1 charging. The power going through the on-board charger module should be well below the threshold that triggers max fan speed.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Soooo... I got TSB 21-2091 done last week. After that my car is incredibly loud while charging. This is completely new behavior since that update. I've never had the fans kick up like that charging at home in my garage.

Waps61

First Name
Waps
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD SR
Country flag
Soooo... I got TSB 21-2091 done last week. After that my car is incredibly loud while charging. This is completely new behavior since that update. I've never had the fans kick up like that charging at home in my garage.
So what is TSB 21-2091 about than? Any changes in the UI, functionality or is it all invisible for the user and is the noise gone?

EDIT: TSB 21-2091 is for the 12V battery drain issue. So how does this relate to the loud noise problem?

Last edited:

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
So what is TSB 21-2091 about than? Any changes in the UI, functionality or is it all invisible for the user and is the noise gone?

EDIT: TSB 21-2091 is for the 12V battery drain issue. So how does this relate to the loud noise problem?
It updates Several modules related to charging. (SOBDM, BECM, SOBDMB, SOBDMC, ABS) After the update it seems to run the cooling much stronger than it did before the update.

Just my observations, No idea what the actual changes are. When I first brought home my car from the dealer and plugged it in, I could hear the car inside the house. In the garage it was louder than an ICE vehicle at idle. Kinda crazy.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
My car has always been loud when charging. The other day I turned off the (60A) breaker, turned it back on, then I was able to change the settings on my Chargepoint home flex to tell it I had a 50A breaker. My charging is MUCH quieter now, I see it is charging at a rate of 9.6kW rather than 11.1 kW like it was before. I will leave it this way until such time that I might be in a hurry to complete a charge.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Some 2021 Mustang Mach-E vehicles built on or before 11.08.2021 (build code MG) may exhibit a strong fan noise whilst charging in level 3. Noise occurs when charging current is approximately 10.5 kW or above.
Ford Mustang Mach-E REALLY loud when charging 1629377493968

Ford Mustang Mach-E REALLY loud when charging 1629377476482
Ford Mustang Mach-E REALLY loud when charging 1629377454500

bp99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME eAWD, 21 MME CA Route 1 (sold)
Country flag
Mine was making very loud noise when charging with the mobile charger and a 110 outlet. Now, I can't even charge with level 1 or 2 (charge fault error). My guess is the unexpected loud noise at low charge rates is a sign that something is going to fail and need replacement. At least level 3 DC Fast Charging still works since I have to wait over a month to get in to the service department. Then who knows how long until they get whatever part needs replacing.

My first experience with Ford service is not that great. With my past BMW and Audi cars, if the car had a critical issue, they had priority appointments available no matter how busy they were. Not being able to charge an electric car seems like they should be squeezing you in before people having scheduled maintenance.

ShadowCVL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, GMC Sierra, MME Premium
Occupation
IT and Electronics
Country flag
Seems like the more wattage the car can draw the louder it is, which makes sense, heat and fast charging is what kills batteries the easiest.

When my car is outside or still warm and i plug it in the AC kicks on too, I assume to cool the batteries, you can feel some serious air moving from the louvers.

However when my car is cool and/or in the garage it just sounds like a large AC to DC transformer, which it is. It also charges faster in that state, im guessing because its not using extra current to cool.

For reference, 50 amp breaker, chargepoint set at 40 amp draw.

Also, if the charge is above 90 it slows down and really kicks the cooling on high.
Sponsored