Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
I echo all the well wishes - glad you are both safe.

My take on your experience is the danger of using OPD. I never would have thought about it if you had not posted this. The danger will be especially acute for those of us who have driving ICE cars for years. It seems like if you are going to use OPD, you should still always put your foot on the brake pedal when stopped.

Wow. Imagine reacting quickly and accidentally pressing the accelerator pedal instead of the brake! Your experience has pretty much convinced me that I will not use OPD. Thank you for sharing it with us!
Yeah, I think I will change my habit to keeping my foot on the brake when stopped just like in an ICE car. I reacted correctly, but the thought that I might accidentally mash the accelerator in a crash is unnerving.

I would go with one of the ones your insurance recommends, makes paperwork easier. My 06 had to get the passenger door repainted and I ended up at a GM dealer after reading reviews ofthose listed by my insurance. They did a great job.
Oh No!! This sucks! I'm glad you both are okay, and the car can at least still drive properly. It will be interesting to see the repair process/timeline. Does Ford reccomend a body shop for the Mach-E, or does your insurance just give you a list of preferred shops?
Ford has website (https://collision.ford.com/find-a-certified-center) to find certified collision centers and so does my insurance. I ended up calling Ford dealers around me until I found a couple that had in-house collision centers. I know that once the broken parts are replaced the radar, cameras, etc. will all need to be configured properly so I wanted a Ford dealer. Once I found one, I called and instantly felt at ease. The person I talked to seemed just as sad about the car as I was. They immediately said they would be on top of it because parts availability could be an issue.

I informed my insurance who I chose, ad they have already issued them a check to get thing started ASAP. I take it it tomorrow morning.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Country flag
I can't remember, but it was either Carmax or Carvana that did an estimate on my trade that had an accident, it actually listed what they would have offered if it didn't have the accident. That would make my DV claim much easier! I didn't have that for when someone hit my Edge. I finally got the insurance company up to $1k Diminished value up from the $500 they offered. That offer I got on my car a few months ago took $3k off the price for the accident. And I think if I had that, it would have been actual real world numbers they could have used to justify the claim.

When I tried to find more ways to get a value, all the websites seem to be lawyers wanting to represent you to get more money, and of course take a cut.
Yeah, I've been trying to research diminished value and I get the same thing. And the car is so new, it is hard to even get trade in values. I also believe the fact that it is a more rare Grabber Blue First Edition should count for something.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Yeah, I've been trying to research diminished value and I get the same thing. And the car is so new, it is hard to even get trade in values. I also believe the fact that it is a more rare Grabber Blue First Edition should count for something.
The DV part was the one thing my insurance company wouldn't do at all. They told me If I wanted to, I could do it directly with the other insurance company. So you are all on your own.

One thing I kept seeing was this formula to calculate DV, 17c or something like that. I found a full formula for this, and presented it to them and they said they legally can't use that anymore. So it is basically just negotiations between you and the insurance company.

This is what I used to get them up from $500 to $1000.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rear ended in Hit & Run image

OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Country flag
The DV part was the one thing my insurance company wouldn't do at all. They told me If I wanted to, I could do it directly with the other insurance company. So you are all on your own.

One thing I kept seeing was this formula to calculate DV, 17c or something like that. I found a full formula for this, and presented it to them and they said they legally can't use that anymore. So it is basically just negotiations between you and the insurance company.

This is what I used to get them up from $500 to $1000.

Thanks. That is good to know. It is a shame it always has to be a fight.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Damn. Glad everyone is ok, and that you got the guy’s insurance PLUS a police report. If it were me I’d find the ritziest top of the line body shop in Denver to make sure you really get your car back to 100%. Too bad for this clown he hit a $60,000 car.

Brady33

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep GC
Country flag
That was actually my greatest fear when we all stopped. It's why I called 911 again after about 30 mins waiting. He seemed calm, not agitated, young, and resigned but I was super on edge since fleeing the scene is so erratic! So glad it all turned out so well! Whew.
Not to sterotype or anything, but did it appear he
Yeah, I think I will change my habit to keeping my foot on the brake when stopped just like in an ICE car. I reacted correctly, but the thought that I might accidentally mash the accelerator in a crash is unnerving.

Ford has website (https://collision.ford.com/find-a-certified-center) to find certified collision centers and so does my insurance. I ended up calling Ford dealers around me until I found a couple that had in-house collision centers. I know that once the broken parts are replaced the radar, cameras, etc. will all need to be configured properly so I wanted a Ford dealer. Once I found one, I called and instantly felt at ease. The person I talked to seemed just as sad about the car as I was. They immediately said they would be on top of it because parts availability could be an issue.

I informed my insurance who I chose, ad they have already issued them a check to get thing started ASAP. I take it it tomorrow morning.
Good Luck Buddy...hopefully it won't take long.

rgparham

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
acura mdx/rdx/4runner/ ford mach e awd premium
Country flag
That's awful! I am so glad you and Liv were not physically hurt during the hit and run.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
One word on body work for the Mach E - EXPENSIVE!

Final estimate $8760, approved by Allstate and work is underway. Full new front end bumper and air dam pieces, new left louvres, new left headlight (mounting clip broken inside), repainted wheel lip, front door, and side moldings. Hope to have Marlin back by the end of next week.

OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Country flag

Final estimate $8760, approved by Allstate and work is underway. Full new front end bumper and air dam pieces, new left louvres, new left headlight (mounting clip broken inside), repainted wheel lip, front door, and side moldings. Hope to have Marlin back by the end of next week.

IMG_8066.jpeg
We just dropped Blucifer off. Our estimate is $5500. I guess the rear bumper and taillights are cheaper than the front.

Now the race is on. Will I get it back in time for our "Wedding Anniversary Trip" at the beginning of May???

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
If it makes you feel any better, one of the Co-Pilot360 2.0 safety features is "Post-Collision Braking". I don't know if slamming the accelerator would override that, but at least there is something that will actively apply the brakes in a crash.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rear ended in Hit & Run 1617812456276

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/understanding-ford-s-post-collision-braking-system-149855.html

Also check out 1:12 at the first video here: https://www.ford.com/buy-site-wide-content/overlays/mach-e-overlays/feature-copilot360-technology/

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Today, I'm trying to figure out where to get it repaired.

My dealer doesn't do collision work (and most dealers around Denver don't). The place they recommended is sorta far away and they aren't part of the Ford Certified Collision Network.

Yes, Ford has a list of certified repair centers. But when I look at the list, there is no way to tell if they have experience with EVs or if they have a good paint shop, etc. And a lot of their listings are actually different locations for Caliber Collision (huge repair company). I've had good luck with them before, but they definitely operate on repairing lots and lots of cars.

My insurance also has a list of certified repair centers, but they also mostly list Caliber and similar chains.

Any advice? I'm worried about timeliness, quality of repairs, and quality of paint.
We just dropped Blucifer off. Our estimate is $5500. I guess the rear bumper and taillights are cheaper than the front.

Now the race is on. Will I get it back in time for our "Wedding Anniversary Trip" at the beginning of May???
Wow. That looked like more than $5k in damage. Good news.

Liv

First Name
Liv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1998 RAV4 Art Car
Occupation
BioCAD Engineer
Country flag

IMG_8066.jpeg
Oh nooo :( That's literally what my other car cost to buy! I hope you just got all the repairs out of the way in the beginning and there are no more ever for the rest of Marlin's long life time!
Wow. That looked like more than $5k in damage. Good news.
I know right?! I was surprised!

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Today, I'm trying to figure out where to get it repaired.

My dealer doesn't do collision work (and most dealers around Denver don't). The place they recommended is sorta far away and they aren't part of the Ford Certified Collision Network.

Yes, Ford has a list of certified repair centers. But when I look at the list, there is no way to tell if they have experience with EVs or if they have a good paint shop, etc. And a lot of their listings are actually different locations for Caliber Collision (huge repair company). I've had good luck with them before, but they definitely operate on repairing lots and lots of cars.

My insurance also has a list of certified repair centers, but they also mostly list Caliber and similar chains.

Any advice? I'm worried about timeliness, quality of repairs, and quality of paint.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rear ended in Hit & Run 1617812456276
When my Audi Q5 was hit at 5MPH, front bumper just got displaced slightly. No damage other than broken clips and paint. $3500. So this does not surprise me.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
When my Audi Q5 was hit at 5MPH, front bumper just got displaced slightly. No damage other than broken clips and paint. $3500. So this does not surprise me.
I'm sure the cost to replace / recalibrate all of the sensors in the front end plays into this. Replacing sheet metal is cheap because it's fast.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rear ended in Hit & Run 1617814204607

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I'm sure the cost to replace / recalibrate all of the sensors in the front end plays into this. Replacing sheet metal is cheap because it's fast.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rear ended in Hit & Run 1617814204607
Garrus!