Road tripping with the standard range battery?

Spin

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV 4 Hybrid, Toyota Tundra, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I am considering ordering a Select RWD. My wife and I drive from NY to FL in the fall and back again in the spring. The trip is about 1250 miles one way. We usually do it in 2 days. I am interested in hearing from anyone that has done a similar trip with the 68 kWh battery. Other than these 2 trips, the standard range battery is more than enough for our needs. I do have other vehicles I could take on this trip, but of course, I want to show off the Mach E to my neighbors in FL!!
Sponsored

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I doubt many SR trips have been taken yet as there haven't been that many SRs sold until very recently. Seems like all the initial reports were of ER AWD First Editions.

The SR RWD should definitely be road-trippable. It'll take a bit longer to charge, but I'd take a SR on a 1,250 mile trip tomorrow.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I am considering ordering a Select RWD. My wife and I drive from NY to FL in the fall and back again in the spring. The trip is about 1250 miles one way. We usually do it in 2 days. I am interested in hearing from anyone that has done a similar trip with the 68 kWh battery. Other than these 2 trips, the standard range battery is more than enough for our needs. I do have other vehicles I could take on this trip, but of course, I want to show off the Mach E to my neighbors in FL!!
Consider downloading one of the EV trip planners mentioned in the other threads like better route planner or Chargeway. Apps like Chargeway have options for all of the MME varients. Plan your trip with the extended range battery version "x", and a select trim, and look at the differences in number of stops and time for each stop. If the you are okay with the select plan, and it better fits your budget, then maybe a MME select with standard battery is a good option for your needs.

Since you asked the question, I remembered seeing this note in the MME manual FWIW. A trip two times a year might be less of an issue:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Road tripping with the standard range battery? Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 9.27.57 PM

Beyond that, it may just be something to try and see if a BEV fits your lifestyle and traveling patience. I can tell you that I sold my Chevy Bolt some years back after one bad trip of hundreds of miles. I think with faster charging and more fast charge stations now (not to mention less traveling for me), I am back for another try with MME.

It's a balance of EV fun (and the BEV cool factor) vs. ICE or PHEV, both of which are immensely easier to travel with, just a couple of minutes to fill up and go.

Last edited:

Marcel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Woodworker
Consider downloading one of the EV trip planners mentioned in the other threads like better route planner or Chargeway. Apps like Chargeway have options for all of the MME varients. Plan your trip with the extended range battery version "x", and a select trim, and look at the differences in number of stops and time for each stop. If the you are okay with the select plan, and it better fits your budget, then maybe a MME select with standard battery is a good option for your needs.

Since you asked the question, I remembered seeing this note in the MME manual FWIW. A trip two times a year might be less of an issue:
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 9.27.57 PM.png

Beyond that, it may just be something to try and see if a BEV fits your lifestyle and traveling patience. I can tell you that I sold my Chevy Bolt some years back after one bad trip of hundreds of miles. I think with faster charging and more fast charge stations now (not to mention less traveling for me), I am back for another try with MME.

It's a balance of EV fun (and the BEV cool factor) vs. ICE or PHEV, both of which are immensely easier to travel with, just a couple of minutes to fill up and go.
Oops, have not read this earlier, the ER charges with max 150(160 seen) and the SR charges with max 115 (not yet seen) Still degradation is worse for the SR battery???

On the plus side, the SR is more efficiënt

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
... Still degradation is worse for the SR battery??? ..
Anyone know why? The smaller battery is not just less of the same type cells?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Because there are fewer cells. If the cells in the SR and ER degrade the same amount, the overall percentage of degradation will be higher for the smaller battery. For example, if degradation kills 10kWh of usable capacity, that’s 14% or a SR battery but only 11% of an ER battery. It’s the same amount of degradation, but more pronounced for the SR.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 9.27.57 PM.png

Happily it's warrantied for degradation. They can suggest I stay at home and be a hermit, or spend a month crossing the country on L2 alone, but I'm going to be road tripping the crap out of this car, and I expect the battery to hold up to it. It's a Mustang and Mustangs are built for exploring the open road.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Still degradation is worse for the SR battery???
No. It's not degradation. The extra cells in the ER battery are wired in parallel so the current being pulled can be higher. Has nothing to do with degradation.

Yes, it is. As I mentioned it has nothing to do with degradation.

Because there are fewer cells. If the cells in the SR and ER degrade the same amount, the overall percentage of degradation will be higher for the smaller battery. For example, if degradation kills 10kWh of usable capacity, that’s 14% or a SR battery but only 11% of an ER battery. It’s the same amount of degradation, but more pronounced for the SR.
Each cell degrades a certain percentage with constant DCFC regardless of how many there are. It is not a function of a fixed amount of kwh degradation

Marcel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Woodworker
No. It's not degradation. The extra cells in the ER battery are wired in parallel so the current being pulled can be higher. Has nothing to do with degradation.

Yes, it is. As I mentioned it has nothing to do with degradation.

Each cell degrades a certain percentage with constant DCFC regardless of how many there are. It is not a function of a fixed amount of kwh degradation
Can you explain this warning? Specially the last sentence
Ford Mustang Mach-E Road tripping with the standard range battery? Schermafbeelding 2021-03-20 om 13.11.59

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
Main issue won't be charge time, the difference is not a big deal. The issue is you will have to stop more frequently to recharge, and will have to be more careful about DCFC locations and being aware of your limits.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Can you explain this warning? Specially the last sentence
Schermafbeelding 2021-03-20 om 13.11.59.jpg
That warning is for apartment dwellers who don't have consistent access to L2 charging. If you rely on DC charging all the time you have to charge more frequently: the ER will have to be charged 1/3 less often. It's not a case of wiring but number of charge cycles.

Road tripping 15 or 20 times a year is fine regardless of battery size

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
So, a year or two down the road, how many people do you think will be heard saying “I wish I had bought the smaller battery?”

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
So, a year or two down the road, how many people do you think will be heard saying “I wish I had bought the smaller battery?”
Most, probably. The obsession with long range EVs is largely psychological. The old Focus Electric worked for 90% of Americans that owned their own homes to charge at, but like 12 people bought it because everyone else saw the 76 mile range as terrifying.

I hope 300 truly is the peak we get to for the EV "Range Wars" and we stay at 300 and focus on making them cheaper and faster charging.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
that question - and the flip size of "I wish I had bought the larger battery" - are both going to be interesting to see.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I won’t say it because I will have the SR battery. Some people just don’t need to cart around the extra weight if they’re not going to use it. Assuming I ever stop working from home, my commute is 10 miles and I have free charging at work. The 25 miles of EV range in my Outlander has been enough to allow me to top off the gas tank once a year. I’ll probably plug in the MME at work once a week.
Sponsored