GoosePond08

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
I'm one week in, and didn't want to commit to any "wind noise" since its been basically 40mph winds daily around here this past week. However, after riding between the Mach E, my previous car, and my wife's car all in the same couple day period. I can say without a doubt the Mach E has a considerable amount of noise that is worse than any sedan i've been in.

I didn't even want to say it, but its similar to the noise my Jeep Wrangler would have as far as wind sound inside the cabin. Which is pretty bad.

I don't visually see an alignment issue, but there is a gap that others have noticed. I just think its how the design was. I plan on trying on the of the solutions mentioned as soon as it warms back up again and this nasty wind dies down.
Sponsored

DaveQ

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E4X, HR-V, Insight, Maserati Levante S
Country flag
It actually looks like the passenger side windshield may be set too deep. If the roof were set too high, you'd think it would have a mating issue with the bodywork (which does not seem to be the case from this pic). I've actually thought the issue with most pictures I've seen was the windshield being seated incorrectly - pushed in too far/unevenly.
Correct, Driver-side portion of the windshield is flush with pano, passenger-side is below pano 1/4 inch or more. FYI... Field service engineer release my vehicle for sale with mention of a pending service bulletin. Finally, got to bring the car home after a week it was quarantined.

J Duce

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer Sport
Country flag
I just wanted to add I am currently driving a rental Range Rover sport and we hear the same wind noise we experienced in my Mach E, and it really has been similar to what I hear in my 2017 Explorer. I will definitely be more keen now with my MME.

SoriceConsulting

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sorice.com
Vehicles
2023 GTPE, Rapid Red
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
sockmeister, close up photos of how your windshield/roof meet would probably help a lot so others can see if there is a noticeable fit difference. I'm sure everyone would be grateful for your time!

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
This is very strange. We need an objective way to compare the noise. My car has no windnoise whatsoever. It's eerily quiet in there, actually, even at highway speeds.
You can download a free dB meter app from the App Store. That will give you an objective, impartial measure of noise levels in each environment.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
You can download a free dB meter app from the App Store. That will give you an objective, impartial measure of noise levels in each environment.
I've got a Google Pixel, but I'm sure there's the same app available. The problem is, unless we test everyone's car under the same conditions and with the same exact device and software, we're still gonna be comparing apples to cranberries. (Tired of saying apples to oranges!)

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
sockmeister, close up photos of how your windshield/roof meet would probably help a lot so others can see if there is a noticeable fit difference. I'm sure everyone would be grateful for your time!
I will be sure to when I get the car back. It's currently getting some PPF on the front bumper.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Because of structure, bandwidth, and low frequency aspect of wind noise, another way might be if there is some reference recording that we could all download and play. That way, you raise the volume knob gradually until the played sound about matches or masks the wind noise to your ear, then record the volume number. Might take several tries with some kind of average.

Possible complications include how to play the same audio file, about the same way, from different sources with different audio settings on the MME as well. Probably MME audio could be reset just for the test. Maybe the file could be played from a USB stick, or any phone if level is not an issue from different phones.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Because of structure, bandwidth, and low frequency aspect of wind noise, another way might be if there is some reference recording that we could all download and play. That way, you raise the volume knob gradually until the played sound about matches or masks the wind noise to your ear, then record the volume number. Might take several tries with some kind of average.

Possible complications include how to play the same audio file, about the same way, from different sources with different audio settings on the MME as well. Probably MME audio could be reset just for the test. Maybe the file could be played from a USB stick, or any phone if level is not an issue from different phones.
Don't forget that there different sound systems: Select and CA Rt1 Mach-E's don't get the B&O "treatment".

OP
OP
JSW

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt; Porsche Boxster; Chevy Blazer; Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
This is very strange. We need an objective way to compare the noise. My car has no windnoise whatsoever. It's eerily quiet in there, actually, even at highway speeds.
1. Not everyone has the problem - be grateful
2. If you have the problem, you know it. I couldn’t take a call without struggling to hear the other party, and they inevitably would ask about the background noise. It’s that bad.
3. The solution I posted in post #1 makes it tolerable (not a complete fix), until Ford (hopefully) resolves it.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
1. Not everyone has the problem - be grateful
2. If you have the problem, you know it. I couldn’t take a call without struggling to hear the other party, and they inevitably would ask about the background noise. It’s that bad.
3. The solution I posted in post #1 makes it tolerable (not a complete fix), until Ford (hopefully) resolves it.
The way you describe #2 definitely makes it sound like a serious defect which I understand we've already confirmed to be related to the pano roof and windshield intersection. (I might try your rubber cord fix anyway to see if it makes a difference for me, too.

Interestingly, and to help confirm this hypothesis (and at the request of @SoriceConsulting ), I'd like to share a pic of my apparently small and nearly flush roof gap.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Roof Wind Noise *Fixed* PXL_20210402_213840702

Ford Mustang Mach-E Roof Wind Noise *Fixed* PXL_20210402_213850086

Sasmf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Q7
Country flag
Drove a standard range Mache about a week and was thoroughly impressed, and I noticed no wind noise whatsoever and I’m a pretty anal car guy. Found a First Edition Mach E at another dealer and immediately put a deposit on it.

Well, went to go view the car and test drive it and immediately noticed that at anything above 35 mph there was significant wind noise. Went into the highway and at 65 plus it was ridiculous. It sounded like a small tornado. Went back to the dealer and look at the top of the windshield. The glass roof was at least 1/4 inch higher than the top of the windshield all the way across the top. I pointed it out to the dealer and he just shrugged saying he’s never heard anyone complain about it.

Massively disappointing as I really like the car otherwise. Took back my deposit and I’m now considering what to do now. Only way to buy one I think is to find one on the lot thats Built properly.

Reactions: JSW

smartino

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RR Mach E First Edition, 2017 Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Drove a standard range Mache about a week and was thoroughly impressed, and I noticed no wind noise whatsoever and I’m a pretty anal car guy. Found a First Edition Mach E at another dealer and immediately put a deposit on it.

Well, went to go view the car and test drive it and immediately noticed that at anything above 35 mph there was significant wind noise. Went into the highway and at 65 plus it was ridiculous. It sounded like a small tornado. Went back to the dealer and look at the top of the windshield. The glass roof was at least 1/4 inch higher than the top of the windshield all the way across the top. I pointed it out to the dealer and he just shrugged saying he’s never heard anyone complain about it.

Massively disappointing as I really like the car otherwise. Took back my deposit and I’m now considering what to do now. Only way to buy one I think is to find one on the lot thats Built properly.
Any chance you could compare the roof placement in relation to the windshield with the one you test drove and the one you put a deposit on? I think that would be an interesting comparison. The roof line on my FE is a fraction higher than the windshield and the wind noise at highway speeds is fine. About the same as most cars I have driven.
Sponsored