BalsaDust

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium 4X, 2023 Leaf (wifes car)
Occupation
This, that, and everything
Country flag
Right from the horses mouth. Frunk automation is coming and cars built July forward will not have the divider
So glad my car has not been built yet, was not looking forward to removing that thing and plugging the leftover holes with the plastic rivets ;)

Tony
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I can't believe she didn't pounce on him when he said tesla was at 326 and the mache is at 270. I am positive she KNOWS the tesla is nowhere close to its EPA range and Mach E is.

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
The other thing Sandy brought up the I agreed with was the side mirrors. Totally agree that it's time we ditch them.

I'd be fine with ditching the little door handle too. I like them, I just think I'd like the look better without them. Losing side mirrors and those little finger handles would really streamline things.
Yes, but the mirrors are a regulatory issue. US vehicles can't have cameras yet. That will happen with time, as she says.

The little door handle is fine. Zero issue with aero and it's nicer than no handle on the back doors.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
I generally found the video to be positive.

The bit about the video that *really* bothered me ... comparing the Tesla Model Y Extended Range to the Mach-E. The Model Y Extended Range "claims" 326 miles. But real-world tests (Edmunds published this first ... but many other reviewers had similar results) found that it only got 291 miles. Meanwhile... the Extended Range AWD Mach-E predicts 270 miles range... but actually got 304 miles.

Point being... Elon Musk publishes VERY ambitious (unrealistic) numbers... while Ford (and it isn't just Ford ... many other BEV makers are similar) publish conservative estimates.

Basically Tesla's numbers are fiction ... and other BEV makers are a lot more realistic.

I am MAJORLY disappointed that Sandy fell for the propaganda instead of putting the cars to the test ... and then put Donna through the questions as if Ford has some catching-up to do (they don't ... they already beat Tesla on range... with their FIRST car ... compared to a car Tesla has been making for years and years).

Sandy Monroe lost major points with me for falling for that marking lie. I expect an engineer to be skeptical ... to know better ... and to put in the work to actually do a test (and he's a local guy ... so if I run into him ... I fully intend to drag him through the mud on it.)

HDer

First Name
Yi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
InfiniteBlueRt1, 07XterraManual
Country flag
I'm glad to see them increasing the range from model year to model year. It doesn't sound like there will be a dramatic jump, but maybe with a little less weight here and a little more efficient battery there they'll be able to squeeze out 5%, 10%.

She also acknowledged that they weren't as good at gaming the EPA range numbers this time around and it sounds like they're going to apply some of the same "optimizations" Tesla has done in the future.

One thing I wish they talked about but didn't is the charging curves. I'm really curious as to whether the charging curves are dictated by a lack of sensors, extreme conservativism given it's the first year, or actual battery chemistry. I'm really hoping it's #2, and we'll be able to get faster, more sustained, charging in an OTA. Although I'm sure the marketing department would rather sell it as a refresh feature rather than a OTA that everyone gets.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
So glad my car has not been built yet, was not looking forward to removing that thing and plugging the leftover holes with the plastic rivets ;)

Tony
Took me, like, 5 min to remove and replace the plastic rivets, Including the time to walk to the garbage can :cool:

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
Yes, but the mirrors are a regulatory issue. US vehicles can't have cameras yet. That will happen with time, as she says.

The little door handle is fine. Zero issue with aero and it's nicer than no handle on the back doors.
I'm aware of the regulatory issue, I just don't agree with it. I also know there is no aero issue with the little handle because the mirror cuts the wind around it anyway. Now, take that mirror away and replace with a small side camera and lose the door handle.......to me, that's just a sleeker look. I have no idea if it would add or subtract anything aero-wise. I just think I'd like the look and functionality better personally.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
This has been known for quite some time, as it was announced as part of Job 2. The user option of ordering the front license plate frame was the other change I recall.
Where is this “Job 2 announcement”? Source please.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
I can't believe she didn't pounce on him when he said tesla was at 326 and the mache is at 270. I am positive she KNOWS the tesla is nowhere close to its EPA range and Mach E is.
many things she could of pounced on but she held back you could see it in her body posture and face. Sandy was kinda pushing his points and she more of just let him vent and played along. Sometimes it's better to keep the cat in the bag.

But your right tim she and everyone else knows that tesla= over-promise. 2 more year and the BEV market is going to be flooded.

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
I suspect range increases will just be coming from software tweaks and using more of the battery buffer. Age old case of start conservative then give it an increase as it also allows for marketing to make the mach-e appear current without having to make any drastic changes. We Probably wont see any major changes to the platform until the mid life refresh.
Yeah I'm curious how they would do it otherwise. I can't imagine in 2022 they'd already be installing different batteries or different motors in the cars. Maybe I'm wrong but if that's the answer then they'd be admitting to the fact that the batteries/motors installed in 2022 aren't the best ones since they know 2023 will have better range already.

samev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium SR RWD
Country flag
The Mach-E can improve in a lot of ways if some of the tried-and-true methods are jettisoned for future revisions. Nothing stopping Ford from adopting best practices in the EV industry (from Tesla & others) other than corporate bureaucracy.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I can. She stuck to info about what Ford is doing and will do, and avoided making negative comments about Tesla. I think that’s the better approach for her to take.

I’m sorry Sandy is buying the 326 mile line.

barryvo

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Passat and Jeep Cherokee
Country flag
I just watched the video and have a RWD MME on order. I'm torn if I should get the vehicle or wait based on the horrible review of the rear motor and cooling system. My options are to wait for the 2022 which could fix these issues or keep the 2021 and change to AWD to have a decent motor in case the rear one goes out. We live in Las Vegas and do not plan on driving in snow and ice conditions. I would have to cancel soon and re-order after 9/27. We do not need to vehicle right away and risking not getting the $7,500 tax credit on a 2022 is not a deal killer.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
I just watched the video and have a RWD MME on order. I'm torn if I should get the vehicle or wait based on the horrible review of the rear motor and cooling system. My options are to wait for the 2022 which could fix these issues or keep the 2021 and change to AWD to have a decent motor in case the rear one goes out. We live in Las Vegas and do not plan on driving in snow and ice conditions. I would have to cancel soon and re-order after 9/27. We do not need to vehicle right away and risking not getting the $7,500 tax credit on a 2022 is not a deal killer.
Not sure if you are serious or not, but I’ll go ahead and answer - the cooling system is just fine. Sandy thinks it would be nice it if used one or two fewer hoses, but there is nothing “horrible” about it at all. I’ve been monitoring temperature data on some long drives and the temperature control on the rear motor and the battery is excellent. Even on extended descents of steep roads the cooling is doing great.

If anything, the front motor coil seems to be the hardest part to keep cool since it only has a jacket cooler, and not an oil spray cooler. The front motor coil was the hottest component after an hour long regen off the Grand Mesa (largest flat top mountain in the world), but still didn’t get over 160F (limit of 248F).
Sponsored