barryvo

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Passat and Jeep Cherokee
Country flag
Not sure if you are serious or not, but I’ll go ahead and answer - the cooling system is just fine. Sandy thinks it would be nice it if used one or two fewer hoses, but there is nothing “horrible” about it at all. I’ve been monitoring temperature data on some long drives and the temperature control on the rear motor and the battery is excellent. Even on extended descents of steep roads the cooling is doing great.

If anything, the front motor coil seems to be the hardest part to keep cool since it only has a jacket cooler, and not an oil spray cooler. The front motor coil was the hottest component after an hour long regen off the Grand Mesa (largest flat top mountain in the world), but still didn’t get over 160F (limit of 248F).
I think the concerns are leaks along with too many hoses and connectors. The Ford engineers was great but indicated the rear engine and cooling systems require re-engineering and they needed to just something out to market.

We are torn because we want a EV but reliability is important to us. We have already accepted the phone as a key sucks and plan on getting an additional key fob.
Sponsored

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
I think the concerns are leaks along with too many hoses and connectors. The Ford engineers was great but indicated the rear engine and cooling systems require re-engineering and they needed to just something out to market.

We are torn because we want a EV but reliability is important to us. We have already accepted the phone as a key sucks and plan on getting an additional key fob.
What she said about the rear engine cooling is that early models showed a need for 2 pumps but real world data showed that 1 is perfectly fine. So, they would reengineer it based on that data. Nowhere was it said that the current design was faulty, bad or inefficient in any way

jennq

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S/3/Y, Mach e GTP, Canoo/Lightning/R1S Resy
Country flag
I'm so pleased with how the door handles work (when they do, i know, i know!) compared with the Tesla 3/Y ones. Those are so stupid (we own both of those cars) and almost impossible to open the door with one hand!

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
What she said about the rear engine cooling is that early models showed a need for 2 pumps but real world data showed that 1 is perfectly fine. So, they would reengineer it based on that data. Nowhere was it said that the current design was faulty, bad or inefficient in any way
Lol which is actually the opposite of a bad thing. So the current version essentially had a backup pump that isn't needed at this point now that they see the data.

Jonno21

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD Long Range Space White
Country flag
I think she took the right tone with Sandy. Ford is in an evolution and is leveraging proven design in some areas and new design in others. Her explanation of the 2 pumps being needed based on the initial models and then reducing this to 1 based on actual usage data seems to be the right path.

What I want to know is where can you get one of those Mach-E vests? Fall is coming and that would be nice.

Regarding the complaint about her saying "Right" would you prefer she said "F Yeah"? In my opion, this is a nothingburger. Move on, not worth the time or energy.
It could have been much worse. She could have said "like" every second or third word. I think "like" has now replaced "the" as the most common word in the English language. It makes me cringe every time I hear it when not in the correct context. Some people have even introduced it into the written language.:rolleyes:

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag

Of course time will tell, but at the moment I’m not worried about leaks. The temperature ranges we are talking about here are far smaller than the temperature ranges found in an internal combustion engine, and those are now generally leak free for 150k miles or more. Many cars are now coming with “lifetime” sealed coolant systems now. As a relatively low temp, low pressure system with no combustion products Ford would have had to really screw something up to make them leak prone.

Expect that every year improvements will be made, you just need to decide when it is good enough for your needs - if you always wonder what they will add next year then you’ll always be waiting.

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
Hey Ford; Cudos to you for having Ms. Dickson go to Sandy's place and field some tough questions. I felt like she was honest and not just trying to explain away his concerns. Seeing that Tesla has produced a car since 2009 and main stream since 2012; I really don't feel Ford is that far behind. Clean up the IT a little and were good.

Her only miss IMHO was when Sandy brought out the Mileage. She should have just laughed and said something like, "well we at Ford actually publish legitimate estimated ranges".

barryvo

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Passat and Jeep Cherokee
Country flag
Of course time will tell, but at the moment I’m not worried about leaks. The temperature ranges we are talking about here are far smaller than the temperature ranges found in an internal combustion engine, and those are now generally leak free for 150k miles or more. Many cars are now coming with “lifetime” sealed coolant systems now. As a relatively low temp, low pressure system with no combustion products Ford would have had to really screw something up to make them leak prone.

Expect that every year improvements will be made, you just need to decide when it is good enough for your needs - if you always wonder what they will add next year then you’ll always be waiting.
We are on the fence but so far are keeping the 2021. I have friends getting a Kia coming out in 2022 because it fast charges must faster than the MME. We don't plan on taking many if any long trips, so 45 min to charge is not a deal breaker for us. I do think the idea of a 10 min charge up to 80 percent would be cool though.

The MME on order is RWD but we might change to AWD.

iankellogg

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus ES 300h, Red Mach E XR AWD
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
I'm far more interested in how they continue to support the first model year users. Tesla for all its faults at least continuously improves their older models. I haven't see anything that suggests ford is going to do anything to improve performance or reliability.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
In fact, in things like cooling systems, redundancy is not a bad thing. It sounds like future cars will lose this redundancy. The weight difference is trivial in a car this heavy.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yeah I'm curious how they would do it otherwise. I can't imagine in 2022 they'd already be installing different batteries or different motors in the cars. Maybe I'm wrong but if that's the answer then they'd be admitting to the fact that the batteries/motors installed in 2022 aren't the best ones since they know 2023 will have better range already.
They will not. She let Sandy slide on Tesla's bogus EPA numbers; look here or on youtube for impartial direct realworld comparisons of the Y and Mach E (edmunds.com, alex on autos, etc). The Y is nowhere near reaching its EPA range; Tesla takes advantage of a loophole in testing that comes up with optimistic range numbers.

Tesla's ONLY range advantage is the aerodynamics of the Tesla and the overuse of aluminum frames; the drag coefficient is much better on the teslas but the Mach E went for style. In reality THAT is the only real difference in performance.

I’m sorry Sandy is buying the 326 mile line.
It's pathetic but the vast majority simply look at the number and accept it as fact.

I just watched the video and have a RWD MME on order. I'm torn if I should get the vehicle or wait based on the horrible review of the rear motor and cooling system. My options are to wait for the 2022 which could fix these issues or keep the 2021 and change to AWD to have a decent motor in case the rear one goes out. We live in Las Vegas and do not plan on driving in snow and ice conditions. I would have to cancel soon and re-order after 9/27. We do not need to vehicle right away and risking not getting the $7,500 tax credit on a 2022 is not a deal killer.
No, there are not issues. She said over and over that they reused the cooling designs from their previous EV's that have had no issues with the cooling system. As others have said the component design may be less elegant but it is very proven - the hoses and connection points are overkill but that doesn't mean there's a problem. Certainly they can redesign it for fewer connection points but the coolant in an EV is low pressure so not nearly as prone to blowout or leaks.

Again, there are more connection points than strictly necessary, but they are heavier duty than they need to be and have been proven on Ford's previous EV's.

Exactly. If anything Tesla tends to cut too many corners

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
The Ordering Guide lists all the options.
Thanks. Could you please point out where it says the Front Trunk Dividers are removed in Job 2 and where the remote Front Trunk Release is enabled in Job 2?
Ordering Guide said:
JOB 2 ORDER GUIDE UPDATES – Effective on all vehicles built on or after Job#2 (07/05/2021 – Subject to change)
  • ● Added: GT Series (400A) with GT Performance Edition (60P) availability
  • ● Added: 19” Summer Tires (225/55R19) (TFM) to Premium (300A)
  • ● Deleted: Ford Co-Pilot360TM Active 2.0 Prep Package and Active Drive Assist Prep Kit
  • ● Added: Ford Co-Pilot360TM Active 2.0 and BlueCruise (hands- free driving)5
  • ● Added: Cyber Orange Metallic Tri-Coat (SB) and Dark Matter Gray Metallic (HY) exterior paints
  • ● Deleted: Infinite Blue Metallic Tinted Clearcoat (A3) and Carbonized Gray Metallic (M7) exterior paints

OP
OP
ericNdfw

ericNdfw

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ericsmalling.com
Vehicles
`21 MME Prem 4X w/GTPE wheels,`22 Hyundai Palisade