Scheduled departure vs. Remote start

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
Based on how my battery indicator is responding, I think I already know the answer to this question, but perhaps more knowledgeable people than me can explain what the car is doing differently. Apologies if this has been previously discussed/answered, I searched but couldn't find anything.

I stopped using the scheduled departure times because my schedule varies a little bit week to week and it was getting annoying to go into the app and change it, or was just forgetting and the car would get ready for no drive.

Instead, I've been using remote start from the Apple Watch like 5-10 min before I need to leave. Car is still connected to the wall and previously completed 90% charge overnight (my max setting).

However, remote start does not seem to draw its power from the wall, but instead gets the car ready using just its battery? When I get into drive, the display already says ~88% (down from expected 90%). This seems to happen consistently for every drive when remote start is used, not just once.

I know the recommendation is for a scheduled departure time to use wall power for warming the cabin / battery to drive, but why wouldn't remote start use the wall power to get ready the same way?
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
It should be using wall power. Are you using a smart charger so you can see how much power it's drawing when you remote start?

OP
OP
bshaw

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It should be using wall power. Are you using a smart charger so you can see how much power it's drawing when you remote start?
I have the Grizzl-e classic (40A), which has no smart capabilities. I do notice the LED on the Grizzl-e is flashing green after I do remote start, so the car must be asking for some amount of power, just can't tell how much.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I have the Grizzl-e classic (40A), which has no smart capabilities. I do notice the LED on the Grizzl-e is flashing green after I do remote start, so the car must be asking for some amount of power, just can't tell how much.
I've gotta say, although people keep saying that there's no reason to get a smart charger since all of the scheduling can be done in the car, reasons like this keep popping up. Not sure how else you can really tell unless you have any sort of whole-house power monitoring.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Based on how my battery indicator is responding, I think I already know the answer to this question, but perhaps more knowledgeable people than me can explain what the car is doing differently. Apologies if this has been previously discussed/answered, I searched but couldn't find anything.

I stopped using the scheduled departure times because my schedule varies a little bit week to week and it was getting annoying to go into the app and change it, or was just forgetting and the car would get ready for no drive.

Instead, I've been using remote start from the Apple Watch like 5-10 min before I need to leave. Car is still connected to the wall and previously completed 90% charge overnight (my max setting).

However, remote start does not seem to draw its power from the wall, but instead gets the car ready using just its battery? When I get into drive, the display already says ~88% (down from expected 90%). This seems to happen consistently for every drive when remote start is used, not just once.

I know the recommendation is for a scheduled departure time to use wall power for warming the cabin / battery to drive, but why wouldn't remote start use the wall power to get ready the same way?
Don't update FordPass on your phone though (unless you are using shortcuts on the watch to start the car) they disabled Apple Watch capability in the latest version.

americanflannel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
I do not write menu descriptions for a living
Country flag
If you are using charge time windows, you could be outside your charging time (it just completely shuts down the power coming in when the window is over). The whole thing is a little screwy right now - my car for example doesn't care about my max charge settings and just keeps charging past 90%.

OP
OP
bshaw

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Don't update FordPass on your phone though (unless you are using shortcuts on the watch to start the car) they disabled Apple Watch capability in the latest version.
I've been holding back my iPhone app update on FordPass to keep the version that still has Apple Watch working. I plan to keep that until the app update says the watch feature is back.
Fortunately, I saw that on another thread before the update hit my phone.
I suppose they did need to fix the "A start engine request has been sent to [Mach-e]" confirmation message, because that just makes no sense for the MME remote start.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Here is my last session with remote start. I plugged in after dropping off child #1 it shoots up to 9 kW. Then using remote start it draws around 2 to 3 kW. These times are all within the charging window set in the car.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Scheduled departure vs. Remote start 00E41222-55F3-420B-980E-C6A4953AD03C

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
I didn't know you could remote start while plugged in. I always get an error when I try that.

I do notice that even with scheduled departure times and the vehicle plugged in, I sometimes drop 1-2% from the peak.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I've been holding back my iPhone app update on FordPass to keep the version that still has Apple Watch working. I plan to keep that until the app update says the watch feature is back.
Fortunately, I saw that on another thread before the update hit my phone.
I suppose they did need to fix the "A start engine request has been sent to [Mach-e]" confirmation message, because that just makes no sense for the MME remote start.
You may also want to consider this - using Siri Shortcuts with FordPass. I found this awhile ago, and now daily at 5:05 (in case I forget) I have made a shortcut to run that reminds me on my watch to start the shortcut (M-F) that starts the car, and loads up Waze on my phone to drive home. It's actually a lot cleaner than using FordPass. I don't know if the new version of FordPass breaks this, as I have also not updated.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/fordpass-siri-shortcuts.8200/

balthisar

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Expedition; 2021 Mach E Premium AWD Extended
Occupation
Engineer@FoMoCo
Country flag
Last time I remote started while plugged in, it actually took my charge from 90% to 93%. I have it limited to 90%, so I'm not sure if it's a bug, or a feature.

RobbH

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME FE - Grabber Blue
Country flag
You may also want to consider this - using Siri Shortcuts with FordPass. I found this awhile ago, and now daily at 5:05 (in case I forget) I have made a shortcut to run that reminds me on my watch to start the shortcut (M-F) that starts the car, and loads up Waze on my phone to drive home. It's actually a lot cleaner than using FordPass. I don't know if the new version of FordPass breaks this, as I have also not updated.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/fordpass-siri-shortcuts.8200/
I really hope Ford bakes these shortcuts into a future FordPass update! Seems like the work is mostly done and having it "officially" included would be an amazing feature to have.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I really hope Ford bakes these shortcuts into a future FordPass update! Seems like the work is mostly done and having it "officially" included would be an amazing feature to have.
The only bad thing is the guy who figured it out did it for another Ford, and it doesn't have shortcuts for features that are unique to the Mach E. I sent him a message on twitter asking if he ever planned on updating them for the Mach E and have not heard back.

SteveJo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, Job 1 Mach-e/X
Country flag
Is there a way to use the shortcuts functionality to start the car using the Apple Watch? I can't figure out how to do that, esp. now that FordPass not recognized by watch OS.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Is there a way to use the shortcuts functionality to start the car using the Apple Watch? I can't figure out how to do that, esp. now that FordPass not recognized by watch OS.
Yes, that is what I have done.
Sponsored