Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Government
Country flag
Last month I took my car in for a TSB regarding brake shudder. The pads were replaced and all was fine. About two weeks later the same problem returned and I took the Mach-E in for another go at a repair. This time they resurfaced the rotors, and I was told I should use 1-pedal to save the life of the brakes.

I thought what the tech wrote was a bit interesting regarding needing to use 1-pedal... What do you guys think?

IMG_20211029_163158893.jpg
Sponsored

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I disagree about the one pedal comment. If you drive in Engaged, you will see through the Brake Coach that it is impossible to avoid regen even with 1PD off.

He mentions lack of brake pad lubrication. I think you had posted about a trip to Death Valley in the summer. Could the high temperatures have caused some of it to burn off? Maybe the issue was it needed some more grease?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Last month I took my car in for a TSB regarding brake shudder. The pads were replaced and all was fine. About two weeks later the same problem returned and I took the Mach-E in for another go at a repair. This time they resurfaced the rotors, and I was told I should use 1-pedal to save the life of the brakes.

I thought what the tech wrote was a bit interesting regarding needing to use 1-pedal... What do you guys think?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Second Attempt at Brake Repair IMG_20211029_163158893
That tech doesn't understand how the brake system works.

OP
OP
DanCoon

DanCoon

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Government
Country flag
I disagree about the one pedal comment. If you drive in Engaged, you will see through the Brake Coach that it is impossible to avoid regen even with 1PD off.

He mentions lack of brake pad lubrication. I think you had posted about a trip to Death Valley in the summer. Could the high temperatures have caused some of it to burn off? Maybe the issue was it needed some more grease?
Perhaps, although I think that kind of grease should be good through at least 500 degrees. I know they didn't resuraface the rotors last time so perhaps they should have done both the first time.

Reactions: ARK

OP
OP
DanCoon

DanCoon

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Government
Country flag
That tech doesn't understand how the brake system works.
Haha yeah and I thought it was fu
1 - Was this Elk Grove Ford? I'm not a fan of them so just curious.
2 - Was this the TSB: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10200734-0001.pdf
3 - Are the brakes vegan too? ?
Yes, and yes. Haha! ? I agree Elk Grove Ford leaves a lot to be desired, but they are 3 miles away from my house. I usually take my cars to Folsom Lake Ford when they are out of warrantee because they get fixed the first time there.

Peaceowl

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I was reading just recently in the Etron forum about similar problems. With the Volvo also. Perhaps they all need sturdier brake pads given all the weight. Not something I look forward to.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I was reading just recently in the Etron forum about similar problems. With the Volvo also. Perhaps they all need sturdier brake pads given all the weight. Not something I look forward to.
The issue appears to be related to the friction material used to form the brake pads themselves. There are a variety of compounds for different purposes. Some are anti-squeak because people don't like how that sounds. Others are low dust because people like pretty wheels. Others are heavy duty (for trucks hauling at GCVWR often), etc etc. In all cases, there is some lubrication properties in the pad to keep them from wanting to bond with the rotors. I don't think we get our pads hot enough to activate the anti-bonding agent (sometimes called lubrication).

If I remember correctly, the TSB wants the tech to install a different brake pad formula as part of the warranty work. I have considered swapping the pads myself, just to see if the new part number is less "grabby" at slow speeds.

Peaceowl

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Would be great to not have to worry about it. Thanks for the info .

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I agree Elk Grove Ford leaves a lot to be desired, but they are 3 miles away from my house. I usually take my cars to Folsom Lake Ford when they are out of warrantee because they get fixed the first time there.
Maybe you're already aware, but Folsom Lake Ford can do warranty work on your car, too.
Sponsored