Second meter for home charging?

buffasnow

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE, 85 Mustang GT (pasturized)
Country flag
I don't think I could get that past the inspector though. I put an addition on my house in 2005 (which is when I upgraded to 200 amp service), and the inspector at the time was a real harda$$ jerk. He's probably not still there, but I am pretty sure he was typical of the breed
Interesting. I have solar and just got a 240V ckt run to my garage.
Same inspector seemed waaay more critical of the work of the solar guys. Once he got the name of the outfit that did my 240V work, he opened the panel to see that the breaker was labeled , saw the cable was clipped to ceiling in the basement, then looked at the 14-50 outlet. Did not look inside the walls or garage ceiling, although it was a home run in metal-clad cable so maybe not much to look at. My perception was that he "trusted" the more recent outfit more. YMMV.
Sponsored

JonathanEzor

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT, Taurus, C-MAX Energi, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
PSEG-Long Island tells me that, if I want to qualify for its EV-focused lowest rate plan, I need to install a second meter pan, after which they will install the second meter for that plan. I'll probably do that once I get my Mach-E, and shift my existing EVSE Level 2 charger's exterior outlet to the new meter's service. {Jonathan}

abr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME FE RR, 2019 Fusion PHEV
Country flag
I think TOU actually penaizes solar users. We now pay more in CA for times when our solar panels are not providing power - 6 to 9 PM
My TOU ON Peak is 12-6pm and OFF Peak is 6pm-12pm (18 hours) and all weekends (Winter) so when I am generating most is at peak rates and using most at off peak rates. I think I qualified for that rate when I installed and since that rate is not open any longer.

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
My TOU ON Peak is 12-6pm and OFF Peak is 6pm-12pm (18 hours) and all weekends (Winter) so when I am generating most is at peak rates and using most at off peak rates. I think I qualified for that rate when I installed and since that rate is not open any longer.
That's really good. Not offered here. I was able to stay of TPU for now (solar) but will be forced into it sooner or later.

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
Natural Gas available for dryer, hot water, heater oven, stove etc;? ( assuming light use in your area)

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I think TOU actually penaizes solar users. We now pay more in CA for times when our solar panels are not providing power - 6 to 9 PM
Not sure how you can support that "penalizes" statement. I have had TOU and Solar for many years with no detriment. I set the time of charging in my connected juicebox charger and my car to start after 10 pm, goes until full to 90%. Lowest rate of the day. Your second statement is correct and is exactly the point of TOU. I charge during the lowest rate periods. Do not charge during the highest cost period. Make sense?

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
Not sure how you can support that "penalizes" statement. I have had TOU and Solar for many years with no detriment. I set the time of charging in my connected juicebox charger and my car to start after 10 pm, goes until full to 90%. Lowest rate of the day. Your second statement is correct and is exactly the point of TOU. I charge during the lowest rate periods. Do not charge during the highest cost period. Make sense?
Yes thanks. My only point is that my overall bill will go up with TOU since solar power is now worth less than it was before. Maybe I am missing something? I do understand pushing all you can to low TOU, but the refund I get for when I am pushing power to the grid would be less based on lower TOU rates.
Sponsored