OP
OP

Tamadrummer88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Camry XLE Hybrid
Country flag
Well like you I live in Austin. To be more exact I live on the north side of the metro and I got the Premium Ext range AWD.
Reason for the extend range is like you I do go to Houston and DFW a few times a year and the extended range can get me safely to the south side of Houston with a very heathy amount of range to spare compared to the standard range where I will be coming in kind of tight on range. Same with DFW is I can get to where I need to go from my home in the Austin area with healthy amount of range left to spare so if I am tight on time I do not need to stop for a quick charge top off and then have enough range to get to a DC fast charger afterwards.

Now I will say while I have lived in Texas my entire life heated seats are a must have for me because those handful of days a year you want them YOU REALLY want them and the others they are just really nice to have. Heat steering wheel is also a really nice for those very few cold days but I find myself at least on my wife car over they years I do not use it nearly as often as heat seats but it was something I REALLY wanted when I was getting my Mach E.

I know I have zero regrets getting the extend range AWD. Extend range was a must and it was not much more to get AWD so zero regrets for me and still loving the car 1500 miles later.

Also if the glass roof is a worry it has not caused the car to be any hotter nor has the sun gotten in my eyes from it.
Lastly avoid Covert Ford and go to any of the others.
Thanks for that, I have an F150 Lightning reservation with Leif Johnson Ford that I may convert into a MME order later.
Sponsored

deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag
Either way, I may just order a Premium SR and call it done. Also, I’m patient when ordering a car, it just saves me more time to save for a down payment and pay down more of my current vehicle. My mentality is “when it comes, it comes”. No need to pester the dealer every three days asking where it is.
My current ride was a new model year. I waited 6 months to buy although I knew I'd buy it before that (trim was still questionable but only 2 choices really). For some reason, it wasn't selling but the dealers weren't cutting prices. Eventually, because I kept digging I found a place that sold online. I had emailed all the local dealers (5) and not one response. This place, clear as could be, order it online, pick it up, out in 30 minutes (it took me an hour but almost no BS). And the pricing, $2K to $3K less than what I might have gotten locally with a several hour long battle.

I had a choice of 30+ cars to pick from. The first one's off the manufacturing line had a fair amount of visible panel gaps (known problem) so the night before I went through their inventory and picked out the newer cars (don't remember how I did that). My panels were good, at least compared to some I saw on the lot.

Waiting 6 months saved me $5K off sticker and got me a better built car.

Unfortunately, I think that could be a bad strategy with the MME. Trade-In's are high, interest rates are low, the MME's price is sure to rise, maybe we'll lose the Ford Options rebate (maybe even Ford options) and who knows with Federal and state rebates. If you are set on a EV, this is a good one, and it might make sense to pull the trigger.

Toolworker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Kona EV
Country flag
Nobody's mentioned the projector vs. reflector headlamps. My aging eyes need all the light they can get.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
My wife has the Premium AWD with the larger battery. Apparently she must have gotten an update last night. Previously her max charge was 250. Today it is 308. When we bought it, the max rate was 270. 308 is huge for AWD. I cannot wait until tonight when I do my FE. My last update took me form 230 to 275.

I just wish when you look at updates that there would be a date and time of the update. I never get a message on my ford app. I only know by checking in the car itself. However it never states time or date just says bug fixes.

oadesign

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
oaddesign.com
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Interactive Design Director
Country flag
Nobody's mentioned the projector vs. reflector headlamps. My aging eyes need all the light they can get.
That headlights distinction makes the Premium a 2021 Top Safety Pick by the IIHS.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Have a Select SR RWD.

Here in Florida around town I get better than 4m/kw. I like not having the sun on me and mine. Hardly ever go over 150 between charge sessions at home.

Best car I have ever owned even without the comfort gadgets.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Extended range is a decision that requires more money, but 6, 7, 10 years from now 400 and 500 miles will be the norm. 200 mile cars sitting on the car lot will be the poor cousins. It's ER for me both for the convenience of range when I need it and the resale value when I'm 74.

And AWD to keep the right foot happy.

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Country flag
My wife has the Premium AWD with the larger battery. Apparently she must have gotten an update last night. Previously her max charge was 250. Today it is 308. When we bought it, the max rate was 270. 308 is huge for AWD. I cannot wait until tonight when I do my FE. My last update took me form 230 to 275.

I just wish when you look at updates that there would be a date and time of the update. I never get a message on my ford app. I only know by checking in the car itself. However it never states time or date just says bug fixes.
The algorithm definitely adjusts the guessometer with more time and driving patterns. Saw a similar uptick effect for me after about 1 month of driving and after the weather warmed up.

Toolworker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Kona EV
Country flag
That headlights distinction makes the Premium a 2021 Top Safety Pick by the IIHS.
And it is unfortunately pretty much the only feature not added to the Standard with the Comfort Package. I don't want the panoramic roof, but this rules out a Standard + Comfort for me.

jkinneberg

Extended range is a decision that requires more money, but 6, 7, 10 years from now 400 and 500 miles will be the norm. 200 mile cars sitting on the car lot will be the poor cousins. It's ER for me both for the convenience of range when I need it and the resale value when I'm 74.

And AWD to keep the right foot happy.
Not sure I totally agree. There will be battery different sizes made to manage the cost or vechiles. Like everything cost will be the major factor in product development to maximize # of units sold.

battery technology will be a balance between cheapest material that can take amperage or charging the fastest.

to minimize battery size aka cost; while minimize time to charge to allow for the most range with the least impact of time and cost.

most 2nd household cars are going to be good at 250 mile range. Only primary vehicles are going to be long range; 500 mile+ models.
As people are going to want to make most destinations without charging on road trips.

OP
OP

Tamadrummer88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Camry XLE Hybrid
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Select standard range RWD vs Premium extended range RWD 1643574775156

Hey @Tamadrummer88 what did you end up going with?
I haven’t been on this forum in MONTHS lol. Only replying since I got the email notification you mentioned me.

On 12/31 I ended up getting a 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime SE. I put a deposit down at the beginning of December and was able to pick it up for MSRP and $1200 of accessories. Was looking at one for a while and determined that the RAV4 Prime fits my lifestyle and needs and that I’m not ready for a full BEV yet. Really like it and plan to keep it for a very long time. This forum has been a great resource and I look forward to the future of Ford EVs.

PVQ

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach E Select
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Country flag
Select AWD SR in Northeast PA and very happy with my choice!
Sponsored