Self tire rotation

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
Ah, just googled and answered my own question. Looks like American and Discount are the same company (as is Tire Rack). There is an American Tire in my town. I usually get tires at Costco, but this is closer and if the prices and service are good, worth a try.
Sponsored

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
Ah, just googled and answered my own question. Looks like American and Discount are the same company (as is Tire Rack). There is an American Tire in my town. I usually get tires at Costco, but this is closer and if the prices and service are good, worth a try.
Well, I may have jumped the gun. There is an American Tire near me but it seems that's not the same as America's Tire, which is the company associated with Discount Tire and Tire Rack. The choice of name (America's vs Discount) depends on the region and whether they already had a Discount Tire there.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Well, I may have jumped the gun. There is an American Tire near me but it seems that's not the same as America's Tire, which is the company associated with Discount Tire and Tire Rack. The choice of name (America's vs Discount) depends on the region and whether they already had a Discount Tire there.
Yep, the name is important. America’s Tire is related to Discount Tire, based on region (we have America’s tire here). American Tire is not. Discount tire now owns Tire Rack, so pricing and selection are similar. 😊🐩

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
But they want to sell you 3 new tires. I was Controller for an independent tire dealer and know how ATD works. Have you ever collected on this warranty?

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
But they want to sell you 3 new tires. I was Controller for an independent tire dealer and know how ATD works. Have you ever collected on this warranty?
MANYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY TIMES.....SOMETIMES TWO TIRES AT ONCE. On one occasion my Ford fusion at the time came with cheap tires form ford. So when i bought the warranty they charged me the $25.00 but upgraded the tires to a much BETTER more expensive tire and brand. When i had to replace 2 tires I got the warranty to pay for the upgraded tires rather than the crap tires ford put on the car. Since then as soon as I leave the dealer with a new car I go directly to American tire and insure the tires as well as have them balance them so that i get the max use out of them. By doing this I have been able to get extra mileage out of my tires.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
MANYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY TIMES.....SOMETIMES TWO TIRES AT ONCE. On one occasion my Ford fusion at the time came with cheap tires form ford. So when i bought the warranty they charged me the $25.00 but upgraded the tires to a much BETTER more expensive tire and brand. When i had to replace 2 tires I got the warranty to pay for the upgraded tires rather than the crap tires ford put on the car. Since then as soon as I leave the dealer with a new car I go directly to American tire and insure the tires as well as have them balance them so that i get the max use out of them. By doing this I have been able to get extra mileage out of my tires.
You know your dealer far better then I would. I’m in CT and we have Town Fair Tire and TireRack, Sounds like American Tire’s extended warranty for $25 per tire is a good investment.

rhougey

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Prem RWD, 1968 Mustang, 2014 Ram 1500
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I lift the first corner and put a jack stand under it to hold it up. Where ever that wheel is being moved to, I jack that wheel. Take the old off and put the new on. Then keep keep going around the pattern. Once all four wheels are back on and snug, I remove the jack stand and final torque all lugs. Check torque again after 50 miles.
This is similar to what I do, using one 3 ton jack, my spare (instead of a jack stand), and a 2" tall urethane puck.

I generally start with the right rear and jack it up, remove the wheel, check rotor, pads, suspension, CV boots, etc, and stick the spare in it's place, spin down three lugnuts tight and lower it to the ground. Then I check tread depth and wear pattern of the tire and wash the back side of the wheel since I have it off. Then I move to the right front, left rear and left front in that order (using the wheel I just removed and all five lug nuts of course), and then back to the right rear, putting the left front tire in the place of the spare I installed earlier.

Once the entire car is back on the ground, I do a final torque of all four wheels, reprogram the TPMS sensors, and check the air pressure of my spare before I put it away. I accomplish all of this in less time that it would take me to drive to America's Tire and back and wait for them to do their free rotation. There is no reason to have the wheels rebalanced unless I've noticed a vibration (which I never have). My original tires lasted 48,000 miles (4/32" remaining), and I rotate every 7,500 miles.

The pano roof has not suffered.

Last edited:

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
This is similar to what I do, using one 3 ton jack, my spare, and a 2" tall urethane puck.

I generally start with the right rear and jack it up, remove the wheel, check rotor, pads, suspension, CV boots, etc, and stick the spare in it's place, spin down three lugnuts tight and lower it to the ground. Then I check tread depth and wear pattern of the tire and wash the back side of the wheel since I have it off. Then I move to the right front, left rear and left front in that order (using the wheel I just removed and all five lug nuts of course), and then back to the right rear, putting the left front tire in the place of the spare I installed earlier.

Once the entire car is back on the ground, I do a final torque of all four wheels, reprogram the TPMS sensors, and check the air pressure of my spare before I put it away. I accomplish all of this in less time that it would take me to drive to America's Tire and back and wait for them to do their free rotation. There is no reason to have the wheels rebalanced unless I've noticed a vibration (which I never have). My original tires lasted 48,000 miles (4/32" remaining), and I rotate every 7,500 miles.

The pano roof has not suffered.
What’s a “spare”?

Auto Motive

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mustang mach e GT performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It’s not about money.
Great to hear. Best way to rotate is buying 2 electric scissor jacks. This way you dont require jacks. Its safe since tire only has to be a inch or so off ground. Google it. Here is one at $78. When younger I did everything myself!

VEVOR is a leading brand
Electric Jack Electric Car Jack 3 Ton 6600 LBS Scissor Car Jack 12V Impact Wrench

wkf94025

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350s, F450, 911 Turbo, 911 GT3, M2 Halftrack
Occupation
real estate
Country flag
Just reading tire rotation threads on this forum for the first time. My GTPE has its original P-Zero's on it. The tires have "Outside" labeled on them, but not rotational information. So it would seem to me that same-side rotation or fronts-diagonal-to-rear rotation would be acceptable. Fronts are getting near tread bars, and backs have quite a bit left, so it's time, or beyond time. I have a pair of 3-ton floor jacks, and also a 2-post lift, though the lift is an hour away, though a gorgeous winding hour away. Decisions....
Not sure my torque wrench is up to 150ft-lbs.
For those that have reset TPMS, is that in the screen menus somewhere?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Just reading tire rotation threads on this forum for the first time. My GTPE has its original P-Zero's on it. The tires have "Outside" labeled on them, but not rotational information. So it would seem to me that same-side rotation or fronts-diagonal-to-rear rotation would be acceptable. Fronts are getting near tread bars, and backs have quite a bit left, so it's time, or beyond time. I have a pair of 3-ton floor jacks, and also a 2-post lift, though the lift is an hour away, though a gorgeous winding hour away. Decisions....
Not sure my torque wrench is up to 150ft-lbs.
For those that have reset TPMS, is that in the screen menus somewhere?
I have been rotating my tires every 3500 miles (give or take). X-pattern rotation is fine since the tires are not rotation specific. 😊🐩

I have several torque wrenches meant for different uses. The thing to remember is that like our batteries, torque wrenches don’t like being near either end of their ranges. So if 150 is at the end of your wrench’s range you should consider borrowing or renting one that has a window that goes to 180-200. 🤔🐩

The TPMS will self-reset in a 30 or so minute drive. You can also force reset it by putting the car in accessory mode and cycling the hazard flashers 3 times on and off, then following the instructions on the dash. 😊🐩

wkf94025

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350s, F450, 911 Turbo, 911 GT3, M2 Halftrack
Occupation
real estate
Country flag
Doubt I will taking my 2022 Mach-E GTPE to the mountains/snow before current P Zero's (factory originals) are shot. Is there a minimum temperature at which these can be driven? Tire Rack's web site lists the PZ4 as a "Max Performance Summer" tire and talks about warranty not applicable below 45*F. Nighttime lows here are often below 45*F, though rarely below 35*F, and typical driving temps in the mid 40's-80's range. Shoulder shrug regarding the few thousand miles left in these P Zero's?

Pirelli's "Noise Reducing Tire Technology" sounds nice from the description. Any downsides?

Tire Rack has 2020 production in this P Zero for $164/tire versus $362/tire for latest model of the same spec. Big difference. Pretty sure 3 year old rubber is not at risk of serious under-performance / failure. Any expert opinions out there on the price spread and material science difference?
Sponsored