farrow32

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-E
Country flag
First, let me say I love my Ford Mach-E....I'm literally stopped in the street by pedestrians and drivers alike to admire the car! However, I'm in a battle with the Ford Service organization, because I bought the Extended Battery, and not once has it reached 270 miles on the range display. It says it's a 100% when it hits 213 miles. The highest it's every shown after several days of charging in a warm garage is 238. Service keeps talking about reduced range during the winter, which I totally understand...but why won't it reach 270, and why does it say 100% at 213 miles. Please help, this is extremely frustrating and I don't want to file suit, but I paid a lot for this car like all of us did, and I want every mile due to my long commute. Thank you
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Yup search, read....at least a dozen posts a day with the same question.

ElectrifyCLT

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT- Dark Matter Grey
Country flag
Tons and tons of threads on this. Do a search. The GOM (Guess-o-meter) is extremely conservative. It also adapts the "guess" to your driving. So the easier/harder you drive will change its guess. In addition to all the external factors (ambient temp, climate control usage, etc).

Most on the forum consider the GOM a good lower bound of what to expect.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
I was in Chicago a few weeks ago. It's normal for EV's to show lower than normal range in cold weather.

In the summer, my wife's meter showed 327 miles at 100%. Mine a bit less.

I suggest you search the forum.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Service keeps talking about reduced range during the winter, which I totally understand...but why won't it reach 270, and why does it say 100% at 213 miles.
"which I totally understand". What? If you understand it why are you asking this question?

It's not a Tesla - it tells you an estimated range based on a ton of factors. It is also conservative in that range. Search and read 1/1000 threads. You're getting no more miles per charge because it says 270. It's still whatever the car gets.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Here's a post written by @Mach-Lee on low range threads that you might find helpful:

Hello, it looks like you are new and might be complaining about your cold-weather range decrease without having referenced the numerous threads on this subject. Due to high volume of questions, this is a pre-written response to help alleviate your concerns. Remember to use the search function before creating a new thread, as forum members are fatigued with new users asking this same question over and over again almost daily.

TL;DR - Range decreases due to cold weather, the range display is a highly pessimistic guess not to be taken literally, and you might update your software if you want to see a higher number.

First, understand that some range loss in cold weather is normal due to the laws of physics. Chemical reactions in the battery are more sluggish, the air is more dense to push through causing more drag, and your heater takes more electricity to run than A/C. The colder it is, the less your range will be because of these factors.

Second, know that the range you see on your display is just a guess. It can be off 40% or more from reality on some software versions. Do not take the number literally or you will be upset, nothing is wrong with your car, it is not the true range. Unlike other brands like Tesla, Ford has made the reading extremely conservative and sensitive to cold temperatures on purpose, so that you don’t strand yourself in cold weather. Expect a sharp decrease in the reading below about 50ºF/10ºC that is greater than reality.

Third, be aware that software updates have been released that increase the accuracy of the range display in cold weather significantly. If you haven’t had software updates done at your dealer yet, you should consider doing so because you are missing out on a lot of improvements (CSP 21P22 released Nov 22, 2021). After the update, you may see up to 30% more range displayed even though your actual range is unchanged.

You can calculate your actual range yourself by simply noting the battery percentage before and after a trip greater than 20 miles. For example, if a 25 mile trip took 12% battery, 25/.12 = 208 mile range at full charge. Another method is to multiply your mi/kWh efficiency by your battery capacity, either 88 kWh for extended range or 68 kWh for standard range. For example, if you are getting 2.6 mi/kWh in an extended range, 2.6*88 = 229 miles of range. Please note that in cold weather, the actual capacity of the pack will temporarily decrease some, so 80/62 kWh may be a better capacity figure to use for an estimate in cold weather. Full capacity will return next summer with warmer temps.

The amount of actual range loss may vary due to many factors, but to provide a generic reference, a loss of 35% at 20ºF/-7ºC would be typical in average driving. This would equate to a range of approximately 176 mi / 137 mi for extended/standard packs. The percentage range drop compared to summer is also inversely proportional to the speed you drive due to the heater’s percentage of total energy use. If you drive in a city you may see a 40% drop in range, vs. a 25% drop driving on the interstate.

In summary, remember the range display is always a pessimistic guess, and your actual range will be greater than indicated. Remember to get those dealer updates done to increase your satisfaction. Parking in a garage, plugging in, and using departure times will help keep the battery warm and increase your actual range. Enjoy driving your electric car after gaining an understanding of normal cold weather range loss and the pessimistic guessing of the range display, affectionally called the GOM (Guess-O-Meter).

Thor2j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT , Ford Raptor
Country flag
First, let me say I love my Ford Mach-E....I'm literally stopped in the street by pedestrians and drivers alike to admire the car! However, I'm in a battle with the Ford Service organization, because I bought the Extended Battery, and not once has it reached 270 miles on the range display. It says it's a 100% when it hits 213 miles. The highest it's every shown after several days of charging in a warm garage is 238. Service keeps talking about reduced range during the winter, which I totally understand...but why won't it reach 270, and why does it say 100% at 213 miles. Please help, this is extremely frustrating and I don't want to file suit, but I paid a lot for this car like all of us did, and I want every mile due to my long commute. Thank you
Whats your trip meters saying you are averaging kw/hr???

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Yes it should. Your car is defective.
No....no I don't think you do.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Today's new "shrinkage" thread.

Range decreases when it is cold and the Guess-o-meter decreases even faster to be conservative. Read: https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ulate-how-far-your-mach-e-can-really-go.6104/

Then look around and see all the other threads being created on this issue. Usually a new thread every day now that weather is cold.

s7davis

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Alfa Romeo
Country flag
For starters if new here welcome.

2nd their are numerous posts on this matter it is Winter no matter where you at unless you in Austrailia then its Summer

3. What is your consumption rate meaning how many kw do you use per drive on average. Meaning are you at 2.6kw or 3.5 and so on so forth.

4. How do you drive your Mach E like a economy driver or a more spirited driver

5. Have you try pre conditioning the battery before leaving

6 If all else fails do not pay attention to the mileage only the battery percentage. The mileage is just an estimated guess not real accurate.

7 Battery percentage is a fuel gauge it will be more accurate on determining things. If it suits you better make data log

For example charge to 100% reset mileage and consumption. That way it will show you the 270. Then start doing a journal for about a week or 2 without reseting the trip computer see how it turns out. I think you will be surprised that even though it is not showing you 270 you are still getting that type of range or a little less. YOu will probably be getting around 240 or 250.

To recap reset computer will get it back to summer miles then log what it is at for about a week then after that week go on a small trip you know where you charge for 100% see what it says mileage is at then drive until you have to recharge like you would on a trip. Then log the mileage and your kw usage to what your battery percentage was at and low and behold the numbers should still be close to each other. You do lose about 20 - 30% in winter but still close to 230 miles maybe more.

Cm12

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
Have you tried putting a post-it note over the GOM? Then you can put however many miles you want. Problem solved!
Sponsored