SM 49810 - Buzz Noise From The Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC)

Do you notice your IPC buzz?

• Total voters

gafear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I notice that it gets louder in Max brightness, but to be honest not enough to change.

I'm still impressed that Ford is calling it "normal". Feels like an attempt to save money instead of fixing / recalling

Chudsaviet

First Name
Timofei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 EV6 First Edition AWD, 2014 Leaf
Occupation
Software
Country flag
I notice that it gets louder in Max brightness, but to be honest not enough to change.

I'm still impressed that Ford is calling it "normal". Feels like an attempt to save money instead of fixing / recalling
Yes it is. That's how automakers were always working - they evaluate cost of fixing vs lawsuits/loss of reputation.
Yes, @Ford Motor Company , I'm talking about you. We need a fix for this problem.

gafear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER
Country flag
@Ford Motor Company - seriously, are you not going to give an official solution for this issue? See the number of people complaining in this thread, this is not "normal"

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
SSM 49810 - 2021 Mustang Mach-E - 21 May 2021 - Buzz Noise From The Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC)

Some 2021 Mustang Mach-E vehicles may exhibit a buzzing noise from the IPC that changes with the brightness setting. This is a normal operating characteristic of the vehicle and replacement of the IPC and/or other parts is not recommended. If compared to like vehicles some variation may be noted and should be considered normal.

END SSM

So this is a big F-U from ford and we're not going to get these replaced. Not surprised. I'm sure they'll fix the problem but then won't warranty any of us older vehicles. Stupid. This is an annoyance for me. I've learned to live with it but I was hoping for a fix.

On second thought I did notice how they have not said DO NOT replace the IPC meaning they will still possibly warranty it, but they don't want to.
Good afternoon. Can you send us a private message with your VIN and some more details on the buzzing noise you are hearing? We would like to look into this on our end for you!

gafear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Good afternoon. Can you send us a private message with your VIN and some more details on the buzzing noise you are hearing? We would like to look into this on our end for you!

Ford - there are a few videos in this thread detailing the noise
(e.g., )

Given that there is an SSM out, Ford is aware of the noise but instead of fixing it is giving its customer a big F*U

AzCoronaDog

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Porsche 911 Cabriolet, '21 MME, '17 Yukon XL
Country flag
Do all builds have this issue or mainly early ones?
Mine was supposedly built the week of 6/6/21, and we do not have any buzzing from the IPC.
I wear hearing aids, so not surprising that I don't hear anything, but this is my wife's daily driver, and she can hear a mouse fart from 100 yards away!
Seriously, she is very, very sensitive to any strange noises, especially in vehicles. She has saved me a lot of money over the years with her uncanny ability as an early warning system for things beginning to fail.
I mentioned to her that this might be an issue before we got the MME, so I know she has been paying attention too.

For those with the issue, it obviously can be fixed, but don't expect Ford to volunteer to do it for free. Keep the pressure up!

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Well I sent the PM anyways, but I'm pretty sure Ford is VERY aware of the issue considering this SSM.

Mine was supposedly built the week of 6/6/21, and we do not have any buzzing from the IPC.
I wear hearing aids, so not surprising that I don't hear anything, but this is my wife's daily driver, and she can hear a mouse fart from 100 yards away!
This is encouraging that the issue has been resolved...now hopefully we can get replacement IPCs.

Reactions: ARK

gafear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Well I sent the PM anyways, but I'm pretty sure Ford is VERY aware of the issue considering this SSM.

This is encouraging that the issue has been resolved...now hopefully we can get replacement IPCs.

Let us know if you hear back..

Chudsaviet

First Name
Timofei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 EV6 First Edition AWD, 2014 Leaf
Occupation
Software
Country flag
For me, the interaction with your representative ended up nowhere. I explained the problem, he understood it, redirected me to a dealership.
Finally, he said "I need to involve higher resources to fix this problem" and dissapeared. He doesn't answer my emails anymore.
I visited two different dealerships. They confirmed the noise exists, but SSM 49810 says 'its normal'. They won't fix anything.
@Ford Motor Company , I'm very annoyed customer now.

@breeves002 , I wouldn't hope for too much if you give them your VIN and contacts. They opened a case for me, but resolved nothing. Still, please go ahead with the case. At least it will be one more official complaint.

Last edited:

ERIC8585

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Select Rapid Red
Country flag
Seriously, she is very, very sensitive to any strange noises, especially in vehicles. She has saved me a lot of money over the years with her uncanny ability as an early warning system for things beginning to fail.
I mentioned to her that this might be an issue before we got the MME, so I know she has been paying attention too.

For those with the issue, it obviously can be fixed, but don't expect Ford to volunteer to do it for free. Keep the pressure up!
How do you know she can hear those frequencies though?

AzCoronaDog

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How do you know she can hear those frequencies though?
She has excellent hearing across the spectrum, so I am reasonably certain she would have complained if it made the noise others are experiencing.
Since reading this thread, I am going to have her listen to the dash very closely when she gets home, and also see what I can hear with my hearing aids turned way up.

AzCoronaDog

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Last night I finally found time to listen for the screen noise.
It is very quiet where I live and even quieter in my garage where the MME parks.
I turned the MME on, turned off the radio and then fumbled my way into turning off the HVAC. There was still a very low fan noise, but it did not seem to be coming from either screen. I tried turning the brightness up and down but no change.
I turned it off, but the screens stay on for awhile, and even the quiet fan noise was gone. Tried the brightness again, still no sound. Totally quiet to me, even with my hearing aids turned all the way up.
Did the supplier fix it? Did software fix it? Am I just lucky? Who knows, but I am very happy that I don't have it!

TestDrive7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Hey all. New to this forum. Coming from a Tesla Model 3, just test drove a MachE. Need a bigger car for the family. I IMMEDIATELY noticed the whine from the driver display when I turned the car on.

I'm in my mid 30s so still hear high pitched whines like this. I got into a 2nd Mach E and sat in dealership lot and heard the same loud whine! Hey Ford, guess what? This is a deal breaker for me! I am not buying this car! I was so excited for this car, and now I don't know what to do.

I hope this issue gets resolved.

ERIC8585

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Select Rapid Red
Country flag
Hey all. New to this forum. Coming from a Tesla Model 3, just test drove a MachE. Need a bigger car for the family. I IMMEDIATELY noticed the whine from the driver display when I turned the car on.

I'm in my mid 30s so still hear high pitched whines like this. I got into a 2nd Mach E and sat in dealership lot and heard the same loud whine! Hey Ford, guess what? This is a deal breaker for me! I am not buying this car! I was so excited for this car, and now I don't know what to do.

I hope this issue gets resolved.
It's not that bad if you don't focus on it.
Sponsored