So many issues with Mach-E? A bit disappointed!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Bleeding edge? What is "bleeding" about this technology? Maybe only for Ford as many others do it for many years.
Yes, that constitutes bleeding edge. This is Ford's first ground-up electric vehicle. It represents the greatest degree of electronics and automation and dependence on these that Ford has produced. These are also the very first deliveries of this car.
Sponsored

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
The only issue on the list that i deem serious is the battery, power fault one. First of all it's freezing out there.Secondly it's a pandemic. No one wants to have to go through emergency service to get a car, jumped, towed to dealer, figure out how to get home, etc. I went from why is my car taking so long to get here, to I can wait a little bit longer to see if these are more widespread problems.

then there is the example of Tesla. The Tesla (even the Y) is not a new first run model anymore, and they seem to be having even more widespread issues, still! So time will tell, and I really think Ford will try harder in the long run.

Metal_Horses

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, 2022 Bronco 2D SAS, 1985.5 Mustang SVO
Country flag
Add me to the group that is 100% satisfied with their Mach-e. I had PaaK setup issues for the first day, but that somehow worked itself out.

Granted, only 3 days and 250 miles, but no issues as stated by others. No visible quality issues. It's a head turner and I really like everything about it.

I was able to grab an early build dealer stock, VIN 01952. Premium 4X, 30 days before my Premium 4 was to be delivered. I knew I was getting an early build and could face issues, but at the end of the day, it's a car and they'll fix it and work the bugs out.

Comparing years of Tesla builds to the first few thousand ME's is crazy. I think the whole "Quality" war is around the ridiculous Tesla quality issues like the roof flying off.

tomking29

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
With such a small numbers of delivery so far, there's already so many issues, seems the percentage is way too high?!
12v battery dead;
noise from the screen;
reduced speed on the road ( drive unit fail?)
PAAK not working properly;
charging speed on EA;

This really make me hesitate should I go with MME or should I wait, even after all the delay, Ford still have lots of HW and SW problems to be solved.
This post seems a bit cynical. I can totally understand the frustration of any issue for such a large purchase, but other than the 12v battery issue a couple buyers have shared I haven’t read about any major quality issues.

sldave84

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e GT
Country flag
With such a small numbers of delivery so far, there's already so many issues, seems the percentage is way too high?!
12v battery dead;
noise from the screen;
reduced speed on the road ( drive unit fail?)
PAAK not working properly;
charging speed on EA;

This really make me hesitate should I go with MME or should I wait, even after all the delay, Ford still have lots of HW and SW problems to be solved.
Every car will have some little issues. For me it is the wind noise, but I’m not seeing many that are enough to not want the vehicle or to ruin the experience. The small things take it from an A+ or A to an A or A- it’s still a fantastic car as others have pointed out

GoosePond08

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
Tesla is 12 years in Ford is what 3 months in. You can't compare Ford to Tesla that way(EV).
Ford has had plug in vehicles for a long time now...not sure where you got 3 months from?

GoosePond08

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
Yes, that constitutes bleeding edge. This is Ford's first ground-up electric vehicle. It represents the greatest degree of electronics and automation and dependence on these that Ford has produced. These are also the very first deliveries of this car.
Are we ignoring C Max and Fusion Plug In now?

I agree this is "newer" but it's not a new concept.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
We should not be trivializing this 12v issue until we know what's up. It's either potentially a HUGE issue, or a small batch of defects, or a relatively easy fix. Until we know more from Ford, it's a pretty huge issue, and yes one of us already got stranded in the snow due to this. Personally, I'm probably over reacting to it, but we don't really know yet.

I'm also sad for the car, that these problems have soured the launch somewhat. How they handle it from here will be key to avoiding the "bad quality tesla rap".

Last edited:

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag

More appropriate would be to bring up the Focus Electric which had very similar issues.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

True, not a new concept. However, the issue isn't in the concept, it's in the implementation.

We should not be trivializing this 12v issue until we know what's up. It's either potentially a HUGE issue, or a small batch of defects, or a relatively easy fix. Until we know more from Ford, it's a pretty huge issue, and yes one of us already got stranded in the snow due to this. Personally, I'm probably over reacting to it, but we don't really know yet.
Most of what we are seeing makes it look like there are two issues: a rather rapid electrical loss, possibly due to an electronic system not turning off, compounded with the system that charges the LVB off the HVB failing to keep the LVB charged. Everything else we are seeing look like symptoms of that problem.

It is likely a simple fix or a couple of fixes and related to a one or two source problems. The question is whether Ford knows what the problem is yet. Until the problem is identified, it can't be fixed. Even if it is just software, the bug has to be found and that package recoded.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Most of what we are seeing makes it look like there are two issues: a rather rapid electrical loss, possibly due to an electronic system not turning off, compounded with the system that charges the LVB off the HVB failing to keep the LVB charged.
Right. It really seems to be these two separate but related issues. Vampire drain is not all that uncommon, but the HVB failing to keep the LVB charged is surprising, and clearly not working as intended. The HVB is supposed to engage the DC to DC converter to charge the LVB as needed, even if the car is not plugged in.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Right. It really seems to be these two separate but related issues. Vampire drain is not all that uncommon, but the HVB failing to keep the LVB charged is surprising, and clearly not working as intended. The HVB is supposed to engage the DC to DC converter to charge the LVB as needed, even if the car is not plugged in.
huh? ?
Sponsored