Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
  • Banned
Has anyone ever seen this many? What the hell? Forget about being slower than a 2.0T Accord with this many bars, I'm pretty sure the thing was slower than a Prius. I took a video of 0-60 which seemed like it was 8 seconds or so but need to figure out if I can edit a timer into it to see for sure.

Ford Mustang Mach-E So so so many power bars crop.JPG
Sponsored

OP
OP

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
  • Banned
The bars. The power bars. Look at the picture.

ElectrifyCLT

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT- Dark Matter Grey
Country flag
I see that many after a long 80+ highway stint or after a DCFC session at EA. Dialing it back to more normal highway speeds or letting the pack cool off after a charge sees them disappear for me.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
The bars. The power bars. Look at the picture.
Non-GT Mach-Es don't have the power meter, so most people wouldn't even know where to look in the picture for "bars". I knew where to look and still had to zoom in to see the bars you're talking about.

Was it cold outside?

OP
OP

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
  • Banned
Geez the notion that the cooling on this thing isn't good enough to do a steady state 79 mph without severely throttling the performance really makes me wonder if Ford just designed a really garbage cooling solution. Which some people have reported based on a physical analysis I guess, something about plastic between the cooling channels acting as an insulator or something? I can't remember what the thought was.

Do any other EVs limit power so severely in this situation? I've never heard of it if so. I just timed the 0-60 and it was about 8.2 seconds. I was doing 79 mph on I-5 for a while and then got off on a two lane highway and was doing 45-65 for about 20 minutes and still had the bars and still had the total lack of power.

OP
OP

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
  • Banned
Non-GT Mach-Es don't have the power meter, so most people wouldn't even know where to look in the picture for "bars". I knew where to look and still had to zoom in to see the bars you're talking about.

Was it cold outside?
It was 52.

Yeah, I know, Ford made the performance gauge in their GT Performance Edition about 3 pixels tall and hid it in the corner.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I've seen one other forum member report that. If it's not after a DCFC then you shouldn't see full bars. Something is wrong.

I travel I5 monthly and I normally go 85-90 mph for hours at a time and the most I've seen is 3-4 bars. In fact I'll be taking family home today and I'll be on I-5 for 3 hours.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
That's exactly what I saw driving home with the car brand new after DCFC. It would go away roughly 15 mins after driving on the highway again at 75mph. Did it all but the first time I charged.

I honestly don't think the battery was getting too hot I think they have this dumb algorithm for current in/out and how much it will limit and for how long. It's really not a huge amount of logic on battery temp more so just total use of power.

Xenotet

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 Ford Focus ST, ‘21 Toyota Venza Ltd
Occupation
Chemical Engineer
Country flag
This happened to me after a multi-leg trip home after Christmas about 4 hours total at 70-80 mph. SOC was down to 24% when I got home and decided to go pickup a pizza. The whole 6.5 mile round trip was limited to 50% power

OP
OP

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
I've seen one other forum member report that. If it's not after a DCFC then you shouldn't see full bars. Something is wrong.

I travel I5 monthly and I normally go 85-90 mph for hours at a time and the most I've seen is 3-4 bars. In fact I'll be taking family home today and I'll be on I-5 for 3 hours.
It was after DCFC but it stayed that way the rest of the day basically. They never went away (until I stopped for the day). I understand if it happened for like 30 minutes after DCFC but they stayed for hours. I guess its normal for the car but I'd never seen anyone mention anything this bad with other EV's and I didn't really expect the bars to stay around all day.

And the amount of the loss of power was surprising. I got beat to 0-40 mph by an F-150. An F-150 that wasn't racing. Literally ~8.2 seconds to 60. I kinda would expect 5 or 6 seconds but 8? Jeezum crow that's slow.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Without getting yelled at by the OP, can someone tell us uninformed what the issue is? I’m a non-GT MME owner. I get it there is a power issue if some sort.
All the MME's have limited power after certain things like hard acceleration or DCFC. With the GT models there's a power bar that illustrates this. On the Non-GT models it still happens but it's not illustrated in the cluster.

If you look at his picture under the % of charge you'll see a lightning bolt. To the very far right there's bars that show limited power. It's very hard to see in his example, but they are there.

Here's the other post reporting the same issue and an example of a single power limit bar that's more visible: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/cold-weather-acceleration.12228/post-299021

Here's a video I took of the limiter in action: https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...tery-power-to-limit-heating.10416/post-261084

OP
OP

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
GTs have a tiny "power bar" in the lower left corner (the fact that it's tiny and in the lower left corner is another issue) and when the GT lowers the power output of the motors due to being too hot or you going too fast or you having recently fast charged it grays out part of the bar which if you look closely you can see on the right side of the power bar. The green circled part is where it shows if you're regenning, the blue part is available power, the red part shows how much power isn't available.

Ford Mustang Mach-E So so so many power bars 1640969530778

It really irks me that they made it so tiny. It's the equivalent of putting a 1 inch tachometer for a manual ICE Mustang down by the light switch.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
It really irks me that they made it so tiny.
Could be worse. I haven’t seen any indication that Ford plans to add it to non-GT models at all. We currently can’t even tell if the car is consuming power or generating power. I’d be thrilled to get the tiny power meter at this point.
Sponsored