Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E GT
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
SVS got me today. Mach-e GT built 3-23-22. Recall for 22s41/22v412 done about a month ago. I left for work this morning and didn't even charge it last night. The only thing I can think that I did differently this morning was that I turned on the max defrost when I got in the car and I forgot to turn it off. So that was blowing for about 5 mins. When I went to accelerate on the highway, about 1/2 throttle, the SVS light came on. So IMO do not accelerate with max defrost turned on. But I'm just guessing so maybe they aren't related. I was able to drop my son off at school and I let the car on while I ran him inside and was able to drive to my local Ford dealership.

image_6487327.JPG
Sponsored

machme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 GT
Country flag
SVS got me today. Mach-e GT built 3-23-22. Recall for 22s41/22v412 done about a month ago. I left for work this morning and didn't even charge it last night. The only thing I can think that I did differently this morning was that I turned on the max defrost when I got in the car and I forgot to turn it off. So that was blowing for about 5 mins. When I went to accelerate on the highway, about 1/2 throttle, the SVS light came on. So IMO do not accelerate with max defrost turned on. But I'm just guessing so maybe they aren't related. I was able to drop my son off at school and I let the car on while I ran him inside and was able to drive to my local Ford dealership.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Stop Safely Now (HVBJB): Mach-E Owners Biggest Fear - Facts and Info Thread image_6487327.JPG
Welcome to HVBJB replacement club. I joined last week. Waiting on their expert diagnosis and hopefully quick repair after that to get the new junction box

JasonGT

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E GT
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Welcome to HVBJB replacement club. I joined last week. Waiting on their expert diagnosis and hopefully quick repair after that to get the new junction box
So you've been waiting a week just for them to diagnose it? Seems like a long time. Is that the normal time frame for us MME owners?

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
So you've been waiting a week just for them to diagnose it? Seems like a long time. Is that the normal time frame for us MME owners?
A lot of dealerships are backed up for months. It's just a labor issue. We have to wait our turn like all the other people with any other type of car that have to wait.

It sucks, but just because we drive an EV doesn't make us special or privileged. Most dealers will diagnose a bit quicker. My HVBJB took 3-4 days for diagnosis. Some will do it on the spot and some will be smart and use PTS to remotely diagnose. But it's a wildcard for sure.

machme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 GT
Country flag
My situation is what @DevSecOps just described. I escalated to the service manager and he was very transparent with labour shortages and being backed up. Calling around my area gave similar responses with wait times. I hope you get a quick turnaround on the repairs.

WyldStallyn

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
I'm one of the lucky ones @DevSecOps mentioned. They looked at the codes in PTS, pulled up the right TSB, and let me know an hour later that the part is on order without me having to make the trip to the dealer. EV tech is booked solid for three weeks and I'll keep driving it with SVS until that day. They are reserving their demo Lightning for me to use during the repair.

So far so good although I'm sure I'd be looking at the situation differently if it wasn't drivable.

Mach_Enrique

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting; 2021 Mach E GT;2018 Subaru WRX STI
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
First time poster on this thread, but 2nd time with HVJB issue (had it pre-recall as covered here: https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...st-of-times-but-ford-stuck-the-landing.15805/).

My story this time has a little bit of a twist, which strangely correlates to OTA updates (which created duplicate installs of software applied at the dealer). Correlation is not causality I know, but wanted to share:

Since I got my GT back in April 2022 from the pre-recall HVJB failure noted above (and BECM replacement too), things had been going great! I was even almost over my "bricked car anxiety" by the time the recall updates came out. I was the first to catch my dealer's service center to get the recall update. Anxiety gone!

Part 1 ...August "false alarm"
Now in early August the OTA's started coming in for all the modules that took my July 2021 built GT finally up to 2.8.3 (the one where you get Apple Maps in CarPlay to do range and charger planning and get more games). Yay for me.

Then a strange thing happened on August 20th, I got an OTA update for the recall software! But wait a minute...I had it already applied at the dealer the first week it was out. Immediately after this "repeat" install of the recall software update, I started getting never before seen errors like "speed sign recognition" failures every 4-5 startups. I even had the driver display lock into the giant SoC graph and had to pull over once to re-start the car so I could see my ground speed, etc. Then it happened Aug. 22...on my way back from a short trip to the Colorado mountains*** on a Monday..."Service Vehicle Soon" appeared (with the Powertrain Malfunction and HV Battery warning in Ford Pass App).

I called my dealership service center while and talked to the service manager who was able to see all the error codes (while I was still on the road driving now to the dealership mind you). He said my car had a ton of error codes, most of which appeared "false" but bring it in and they would see if someone could look at it to diagnose. They got me a rental that day and I left my GT to wait. Fortunately, despite labor challenges, someone was able to diagnose the car and re-update software by Friday. All error codes cleared and did not come back. Given this seemed correlated to the "double" recall software update and I had a new HVJB put in 8,000 miles ago, I went on my merry way...just in time to make a Denver Mach-E meetup (hosted by @Mach-E VLOG ...Patrick and Liv rock!) that weekend.

Part 2...Today...new HVJB on order
So all has been again going well. I felt so good I made a trip this labor day weekend in my MachE up to the mountains. No issues. Then it happened...I got another OTA last night for BlueCruise (22-PU0727-VI-FXB) and also I see in my app it installed another OTA (22-PU0707-SHC-POPB). I thought...now wait...the dealership installed the latest BlueCruise back in late August...it appears I got another duplicate OTA after the dealership installed! So, as I was getting ready to drive to work, I thought "Damn, I was going to turn off the automatic updates after the last issue in August but forgot". Oh well, off I go to work. Then as I accelerated onto the highway (50% of a full throttle), I got the the "Service Vehicle Soon" with the Powertrain and HVB errors in the app.!!!

I had to get to work (was one of those days I just could not divert to the dealer in the a.m.). I parked and charged the car for the day. I contacted the dealer, they got me a rental and I headed over after work to drop it off. The car started no issue and I got to the dealer.

The service manager informed me when I got there Ford said he had to replace the HVJB and the part was back ordered. He also said the part was the same part number they used when they replaced the HVJB 8K miles ago when my car bricked on that ill-fated Kansas road trip last March. His facial expressions told me he did not like that they did not seem to have changed to an improved HVJB part with a different part number. So he will see what he can do to expedite the part and get an ETA. I am happy that a part was ordered even before I dropped the car off (I must say my service center is awesome with MachE's...I am fortunate). Likely it will be weeks, but hopefully he can get me scheduled for the repair to align with the part arrival. As I waited for my wife to get me and drop me at the rental car place, I did test drive their demo F150 Lightning...very cool way to pass a few minutes of waiting!

Both incidence of the SVS error were right after a "repeat" OTA, but also after a trip to the mountains (over Berthoud pass both times for local reference). Correlation or causality?

I love my MachE...even after driving it for one year I get a little giddy every time I have to drive it anywhere. I NEVER had that feeling with any other car in my life. I am trying to be a MachE die-hard enthusiast (I have conviced quite a few people there next car will be an EV) but things like this make it REALLY hard to be. @Ford Motor Company please solve this hardware problem (appreciate the software fix that saves me from a road side tow but please address root-cause). I have now gone over five weeks in my first year of ownership w/o my MachE and I desperately want to be a die-hard Mach-E enthusiast...please help me be.

*** Quick foot note from the August Colorado Mountain Trip that made my day I have to share. I had to DCFC for 15 minutes to make sure I could get home, which I did in Granby Colorado while I ate breakfast. As I moved my car from the charger to park next to it (I needed to run into the store for cold beverages), the Tesla Model S driver who just pulled in to the spot I vacated asked me how I liked my MachE. I said I loved it...best car I ever owned. I braced myself for the cult-of-Elon answer and said "how do you like your Model S"? He said he HATED it!!! He proceeded to point to all the build quality issues (panel gaps, etc.) plus other complaints and proceeded to gush about how Ford knew how to build quality cars and pointed to how awesome the MachE looked (especially the even/perfect gaps). I said have a nice day, picked my jaw up off the ground, and went and got my beverages.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
First time poster on this thread, but 2nd time with HVJB issue (had it pre-recall as covered here: https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...st-of-times-but-ford-stuck-the-landing.15805/).

My story this time has a little bit of a twist, which strangely correlates to OTA updates (which created duplicate installs of software applied at the dealer). Correlation is not causality I know, but wanted to share:

Since I got my GT back in April 2022 from the pre-recall HVJB failure noted above (and BECM replacement too), things had been going great! I was even almost over my "bricked car anxiety" by the time the recall updates came out. I was the first to catch my dealer's service center to get the recall update. Anxiety gone!

Now in early August the OTA's started coming in for all the modules that took my July 2021 built GT finally up to 2.8.3 (the one where you get Apple Maps in CarPlay to do range and charger planning and get more games). Yay for me.

Then a strange thing happened on August 20th, I got an OTA update for the recall software! But wait a minute...I had it already applied at the dealer the first week it was out. Immediately after this "repeat" install of the recall software update, I started getting never before seen errors like "speed sign recognition" failures every 4-5 startups. I even had the driver display lock into the giant SoC graph and had to pull over once to re-start the car so I could see my ground speed, etc. Then it happened Aug. 22...on my way back from a short trip to the Colorado mountains*** on a Monday..."Service Vehicle Soon" appeared (with the Powertrain Malfunction and HV Battery warning in Ford Pass App).

I called my dealership service center while and talked to the service manager who was able to see all the error codes (while I was still on the road driving now to the dealership mind you). He said my car had a ton of error codes, most of which appeared "false" but bring it in and they would see if someone could look at it to diagnose. They got me a rental that day and I left my GT to wait. Fortunately, despite labor challenges, someone was able to diagnose the car and re-update software by Friday. All error codes cleared and did not come back. Given this seemed correlated to the "double" recall software update and I had a new HVJB put in 8,000 miles ago, I went on my merry way...just in time to make a Denver Mach-E meetup (hosted by @Mach-E VLOG ...Patrick and Liv rock!) that weekend.

So all has been again going well. I felt so good I made a trip this labor day weekend in my MachE up to the mountains. No issues. Then it happened...I got another OTA last night for BlueCruise (22-PU0727-VI-FXB) and also I see in my app it installed another OTA (22-PU0707-SHC-POPB). I thought...now wait...the dealership installed the latest BlueCruise back in late August...it appears I got another duplicate OTA after the dealership installed! So, as I was getting ready to drive to work, I thought "Damn, I was going to turn off the automatic updates after the last issue in August but forgot". Oh well, off I go to work. Then as I accelerated onto the highway (50% of a full throttle), I got the the "Service Vehicle Soon" with the Powertrain and HVB errors in the app.!!!

I had to get to work (was one of those days I just could not divert to the dealer in the a.m.). I parked and charged the car for the day. I contacted the dealer, they got me a rental and I headed over after work to drop it off. The car started no issue and I got to the dealer.

The service manager informed me when I got there Ford said he had to replace the HVJB and the part was back ordered. He also said the part was the same part number they used when they replaced the HVJB 8K miles ago when my car bricked on that ill-fated Kansas road trip last March. His facial expressions told me he did not like that they did not seem to have changed to an improved HVJB part with a different part number. So he will see what he can do to expedite the part and get an ETA. I am happy that a part was ordered even before I dropped the car off (I must say my service center is awesome with MachE's...I am fortunate). Likely it will be weeks, but hopefully he can get me scheduled for the repair to align with the part arrival. As I waited for my wife to get me and drop me at the rental car place, I did test drive their demo F150 Lightning...very cool way to pass a few minutes of waiting!

Both incidence of the SVS error were right after a "repeat" OTA, but also after a trip to the mountains (over Berthoud pass both times for local reference). Correlation or causality?

I love my MachE...even after driving it for one year I get a little giddy every time I have to drive it anywhere. I NEVER had that feeling with any other car in my life. I am trying to be a MachE die-hard enthusiast (I have conviced quite a few people there next car will be an EV) but things like this make it REALLY hard to be. @Ford Motor Company please solve this hardware problem (appreciate the software fix that saves me from a road side tow but please address root-cause). I have now gone over five weeks in my first year of ownership w/o my MachE and I desperately want to be a die-hard Mach-E enthusiast...please help me be.

*** Quick foot note from the August Colorado Mountain Trip that made my day I have to share. I had to DCFC for 15 minutes to make sure I could get home, which I did in Granby Colorado while I ate breakfast. As I moved my car from the charger to park next to it (I needed to run into the store for cold beverages), the Tesla Model S driver who just pulled in to the spot I vacated asked me how I liked my MachE. I said I loved it...best car I ever owned. I braced myself for the cult-of-Elon answer and said "how do you like your Model S"? He said he HATED it!!! He proceeded to point to all the build quality issues (panel gaps, etc.) plus other complaints and proceeded to gush about how Ford knew how to build quality cars and pointed to how awesome the MachE looked (especially the even/perfect gaps). I said have a nice day, picked my jaw up off the ground, and went and got my beverages.
Twice sucks I'm sure ... I'm sorry you have to go through this again!

I'll be sweet and to the point:
  1. The part number - don't worry about it so much. A lot of the systems show the old part, but when they get it, it should be the new one.
  2. I don't think it had to do with what you saw as a repeat OTA. If you send me your VIN I can look to see if they even installed the recall the first time and/or if they missed one of the modules. Originally, when the recall came out it was 1 less update and then they added another module later.
  3. Be sure to call Ford and start a case with the BEV team. This should help expedite the HVBJB to the dealership.
  4. More and more we are seeing people with the software "not-a-fix" leaving people completely stranded with SSN. So you are one of the lucky ones who at least got to limp to a dealer.

Last edited:

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag

I think I can explain what actually happened:

If the dealer updated your car around the July 7-13th timeframe, a server glitch prevented the recall software from actually being installed. This would have been corrected by the recall OTA you got on Aug 20th. You did not actually have the recall software installed until Aug 20th. After that point in time, the car was able to detect a failing HVBJB for the first time. That's why you got the SVS message shortly after the recall OTA was installed.

When you brought your car to the dealer on Aug 22nd, they likely just cleared the codes and sent you on your way. They did not fix the problem. They should have replaced the HVBJB at this time per the TSB. You continued to drive for several weeks until overheating the contactors again going up the mountain. The car again detected the fault and set a SVS error. Hopefully this time they actually replace your HVBJB instead of just clearing the codes.

To recap, your HVBJB has probably been failing for months, you didn't actually get the software to detect that until Aug 20th, and it's overheated twice now going up mountains (which seems to really kill them if they're marginal). It needs to be replaced. As Todd explained, don't worry, you will get the updated part because they only send out revised parts now even if you order the old number. I've personally confirmed this as well.

The OTA update for BlueCruise is a bugfix that also updates the map expiration dates. That would have nothing to do with your HVBJB failing. It's just a coincidence. It has poorly written release notes that make people think it's a duplicate update rather than a bugfix.

Last edited:

JasonGT

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E GT
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
My situation is what @DevSecOps just described. I escalated to the service manager and he was very transparent with labour shortages and being backed up. Calling around my area gave similar responses with wait times. I hope you get a quick turnaround on the repairs.
I guess I'm very lucky. The service dept called me and said they diagnosed it today, it is the HVBJB and they have a contactor in stock. They said they should be able to start working on it today.

I didn't even try to escalate the repair or contact ford. I was expecting to hear back from them in a few weeks. Lucky me.

machme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 GT
Country flag
I guess I'm very lucky. The service dept called me and said they diagnosed it today, it is the HVBJB and they have a contactor in stock. They said they should be able to start working on it today.

I didn't even try to escalate the repair or contact ford. I was expecting to hear back from them in a few weeks. Lucky me.
Outstanding! Glad your repairs are happening quickly.

HSVMWCS

First Name
Milton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
A lot of dealerships are backed up for months. It's just a labor issue. We have to wait our turn like all the other people with any other type of car that have to wait.

It sucks, but just because we drive an EV doesn't make us special or privileged. Most dealers will diagnose a bit quicker. My HVBJB took 3-4 days for diagnosis. Some will do it on the spot and some will be smart and use PTS to remotely diagnose. But it's a wildcard for sure.
I was not that lucky. My MME went back to its Ford dealership on August 17 due to turtle mode. At first, my Ford dealership refused to provide a loaner car, just like when they worked on my windshield/sunroof recall. I had to call Ford to get a rental car and request additional assistance. The local Ford dealership finally agreed to provide a loaner in late October. Before then, Ford would let me reimburse my car rental costs.

The inspection of my MME started on August 30. The damage was determined to be internal on September 2. A battery tray was ordered on September 9. According to the local service representative, their last MME battery issue was similar and took them several months. Hopefully I would be luckier this time.

CharlesGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GTPE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I got the SVS as well. The service department was able to diagnose in the same day that I needed a new HVJB. The problem in my case appears to be that the part is not available and they cannot even give me an estimate as to when it would be. It’s been almost a week now, and despite calling Ford Customer service and their parts manager, it seems to be that the part is just not available. They say the new part number is LK9Z10C666B.

I really appreciate the information on this forum, the dealership seem particularly uninformed.

I read earlier on this forum that there was a new part number staring with N and I was able to find various Ford dealerships online that supply parts showing that new part number, saying it superceded the L part number, and even with a nice picture clearly showing the HVJB. But I also read later on the forum that Ford was changing part numbers and therefore, I’m assuming the dealership does have the latest number, with the “B” indicating this is the latest version of part.

So, then I google the new part number LK9Z10C666B and I can find various “OEM parts direct” sites that say I could add to cart right now. They even say it supersedes the “A” part, but with no other indication at all that this is the right part. I it is the right part, I’m trying to understand how I could buy it by the dealership can’t get a hold of it? And I find the fact that nobody is even willing to guess an estimate particularly difficult.

Is anybody able to verify the latest part number and/or comment on if they’ve actually got it replaced?

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I got the SVS as well. The service department was able to diagnose in the same day that I needed a new HVJB. The problem in my case appears to be that the part is not available and they cannot even give me an estimate as to when it would be. It’s been almost a week now, and despite calling Ford Customer service and their parts manager, it seems to be that the part is just not available. They say the new part number is LK9Z10C666B.

I really appreciate the information on this forum, the dealership seem particularly uninformed.

I read earlier on this forum that there was a new part number staring with N and I was able to find various Ford dealerships online that supply parts showing that new part number, saying it superceded the L part number, and even with a nice picture clearly showing the HVJB. But I also read later on the forum that Ford was changing part numbers and therefore, I’m assuming the dealership does have the latest number, with the “B” indicating this is the latest version of part.

So, then I google the new part number LK9Z10C666B and I can find various “OEM parts direct” sites that say I could add to cart right now. They even say it supersedes the “A” part, but with no other indication at all that this is the right part. I it is the right part, I’m trying to understand how I could buy it by the dealership can’t get a hold of it? And I find the fact that nobody is even willing to guess an estimate particularly difficult.

Is anybody able to verify the latest part number and/or comment on if they’ve actually got it replaced?
LK9Z-10C666-B is correct for the GTPE as of last week. Don't hold me to what it will be tomorrow or Tuesday, but that's correct as of now.
Sponsored