Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I've used a bunch of different nav systems over the years - most have been slow to update (or never to update) their navigation maps. I noticed today that a goofy, local double roundabout that was only recently completed is already showing (correctly) on my Sync 4a nav display. If this is a sign of things to come, then Ford\Garmin are on the right track.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Sync 4 Maps are being updated quickly 20210518_073850
Sponsored

Last edited:

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
For Sync 3 they release new maps once a year around March. Current version is NA20 which just came out. It is always 2 versions behind the current model year. So 2021 vehicles get NA19 with a free upgrade to NA20. I wonder if the MME is updating its maps?

When was that roundabout added?

OP
OP
Mopey

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
When was that roundabout added?
The roundabouts were completed a few months ago. It showed up correctly in Sync 4 within the last few weeks.
The construction icon reflects separate work that started 3 weeks ago.

Last edited:

MParkour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 RR Mustang GT 2017 Tacoma 2021 RR MME FE
Country flag
Well im not sure how fast they are updating. On my Phoenix trip this last weekend the new Charger in Quartzsite which went online April 23 was not on the map and my car wanted me to go to a different L2 charger down the road. Thanks to EA and plugshare I knew it was open so that saved me over an hour of charging.

SpacePony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e Preimum AWD Ext. Battery
Country flag
Well im not sure how fast they are updating. On my Phoenix trip this last weekend the new Charger in Quartzsite which went online April 23 was not on the map and my car wanted me to go to a different L2 charger down the road. Thanks to EA and plugshare I knew it was open so that saved me over an hour of charging.
Road networks and points of interest are two different types of data. Roads are planned in advance and often sent to map providers before they’re completed. The points of interest are almost always lagging behind when they open, as it can take months for them to be added into the map data.

imstriker

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 Infinite Blue
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Maps do seem pretty current. POI seem laughably out of date. There are some businesses it shows which have been out of business for many years.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I haven't seen anything official, but I have a feeling that the map updates are going to be part of the connected services and it will constantly update with new info. If the car is going to use this data for calculating range and where to charge, it needs to be as current as possible.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I would like for the POI icons to be modernized and updated. For example, why isn’t there a “house” icon? I’d like to use a house icon for my home. Also, why are all POI icons blue? Some colors would be helpful.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
That is impressive. Now If they update the maps in FordPass just as quick it will be great... looks like both use different map software... abd the app can’t locate my car at home correctly but the sync system does

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
The Ford Nav took me to a store that had been closed and turned into a gym two years ago.

Eric_C_Boston

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
I got the impression there are several layers of map information. A description of Ford Connected Services when I bought the car said map information for routes and areas you drive would be updated wirelessly. The map information is cached so a cellular connection is not needed. I found this information about the full map being updated yearly and your home area quarterly.
https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/sync/sync-4a/navigation-map-updates-for-sync-4a/

I did notice a world base map and scores of other map files listed in the navigation. From what I understand about mapping data, it is usually broken down into "tiles". A tile covers an area and the nav software seamlessly stitches the tiles together to generate a map display. It would make sense to replace the tiles around your home area every quarter as it is a smaller download of data you use regularly. The whole North America map is a lot of data so that could be downloaded once a year over a few months.

There are two roundabouts near me put in years apart, the newer one within a year ago. When I got the car the older roundabout showed up, but the newer one was missing. The map was showing the old five way intersection. About a week or so after I got the car the newer roundabout was there.

Since updates tend to occur overnight, I wonder if planned routes would get map updates, or if I stay away from home for several days the map for that area would be updated.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I've used a bunch of different nav systems over the years - most have been slow to update (or never to update) their navigation maps. I noticed today that a goofy, local double roundabout that was only recently completed is already showing (correctly) on my Sync 4a nav display. If this is a sign of things to come, then Ford\Garmin are on the right track.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Sync 4 Maps are being updated quickly 20210518_073850
nope, you're clearly wrong, because others on here have insisted we'll never see any OTAs, and on-board nav never gets updated in any car, and nobody at Ford has any idea how to do anything related to Sync in any way whatsoever.

so this is clearly a figment of your imagination.

?

SpacePony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e Preimum AWD Ext. Battery
Country flag
nope, you're clearly wrong, because others on here have insisted we'll never see any OTAs, and on-board nav never gets updated in any car, and nobody at Ford has any idea how to do anything related to Sync in any way whatsoever.
Ford doesn’t make their own navigation, no automaker does. They hire that out to one of several companies that make navigation systems. Ford uses TeleNav and Garmin. At some point, Someone else posted that they’d seen a huge Garmin logo flash on startup, and I have seen it at least once too.
Sponsored