Canchino77

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
Searched the forum but could not find this issue..... Got my car back from the dealer as they did some module reprogramming due to not receiving any updates. Now my sync screen brightness is having an issue. I have it set to the full brightness but now when I turn on the car, the sync screen is either at the dimmest brightness or is completely black. Each time requiring a reset. The brightness slider itself does not change the brightness no matter which direction I move it. I tried to grab a pic that shows the both the dash screen and the main sync screen for comparison. The camera make both of them brighter than they actually are, but is good for the comparison. Anyone seen this before? Hey but at least I have securialerts now lol......

Car.jpg
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Searched the forum but could not find this issue..... Got my car back from the dealer as they did some module reprogramming due to not receiving any updates. Now my sync screen brightness is having an issue. I have it set to the full brightness but now when I turn on the car, the sync screen is either at the dimmest brightness or is completely black. Each time requiring a reset. The brightness slider itself does not change the brightness no matter which direction I move it. I tried to grab a pic that shows the both the dash screen and the main sync screen for comparison. The camera make both of them brighter than they actually are, but is good for the comparison. Anyone seen this before? Hey but at least I have securialerts now lol......

Ford Mustang Mach-E Sync Screen Brightness Issue Car
I don't recall anyone reporting this issue.

Does the brightness level seem okay while it's fully dark outside? I'm wondering if there's something wrong with the sun load sensor or its data signal reaching the SYNC software. The sun load sensor is that little translucent dome at the front edge of your dash where the windshield meets the dash.

Maybe they did the SYNC update but neglected to do the prequisites first? (GWM is a prereq, not sure what else).

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag

Car.jpg
Hello, Brett! Send us a private message with your Mach-E’s VIN and dealership information. I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this screen issue. Thanks!

Last edited:

Keyk4

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E Sync Screen Brightness Issue Car
I have this issue now. It started after I received a message a few days ago that the 1.7.1 update failed to install and it would try again soon. Changing the brightness does nothing. Have to reset (sometimes more than once) to get it to not be dim. Even after it is somewhat normal you still can't adjust the brightness.

rockatansky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Infinite Blue Mach-E ER RWD
Country flag
I have this issue now. It started after I received a message a few days ago that the 1.7.1 update failed to install and it would try again soon. Changing the brightness does nothing. Have to reset (sometimes more than once) to get it to not be dim. Even after it is somewhat normal you still can't adjust the brightness.
Same issue here. Received message that 1.7.1 update failed and would be tried again later. Now, dim screen and display brightness slider does nothing.

OP
OP

Canchino77

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
Same issue here. Received message that 1.7.1 update failed and would be tried again later. Now, dim screen and display brightness slider does nothing.

@tfitzgex posted a temporary fix in another thread that worked for me. Adjusting the dash brightness level (using the buttons next to the headlight dial), changed my sync screen back to the desired brightness. The brightness slider also started working again.

rockatansky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@tfitzgex posted a temporary fix in another thread that worked for me. Adjusting the dash brightness level (using the buttons next to the headlight dial), changed my sync screen back to the desired brightness. The brightness slider also started working again.
Interesting. I'll give it a go, after work.

Hopefully, the issue is related to the disrupted update, and fixes permanently when the update finally applies.

OP
OP

Canchino77

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
Interesting. I'll give it a go, after work.

Hopefully, the issue is related to the disrupted update, and fixes permanently when the update finally applies.
I did the temp fix last night, and I got a notification just now that the update applied successfully. Not sure if related, but definitely seems like the root cause is an update not applied successfully.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I did the temp fix last night, and I got a notification just now that the update applied successfully. Not sure if related, but definitely seems like the root cause is an update not applied successfully.
Until you get that successful message, the update is only partially finished. In the meantime you're running with mismatched software on sync and it can cause issues like that until it's fully updated.

What sounds like is happening is either the base OS gets installed but the new config file gets skipped, or the new config gets applied first and causes weirdness with the older sync version. Once the update is complete, everything works as it should.

OP
OP

Canchino77

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
Until you get that successful message, the update is only partially finished. In the meantime you're running with mismatched software on sync and it can cause issues like that until it's fully updated.

What sounds like is happening is either the base OS gets installed but the new config file gets skipped, or the new config gets applied first and causes weirdness with the older sync version. Once the update is complete, everything works as it should.
That makes sense. It is weird that it took almost 2 weeks for the update fully install though. I also wonder what it showed on the dealer side to make them think it was complete.

loqutus

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium SR
Occupation
Professor
Country flag
Hey Brett, do you mind if I ask how you knew the car wasn't receiving updates? I suspect the same thing is happening to me, but I'm not sure how to convince the dealer to check this out.

OP
OP

Canchino77

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
Hey Brett, do you mind if I ask how you knew the car wasn't receiving updates? I suspect the same thing is happening to me, but I'm not sure how to convince the dealer to check this out.
Mainly from this forum. I knew there were features that were available that I did not have (i.e securialerts etc...). My situation was a little different because my car was having several issues, so there were looking at everything and there was no need for me to convince the dealer.

rockatansky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just to update.

The console brightness controls next to the headlight dial did brighten the main screen.

Additionally, I have since received the 1.7.1 update and the screen brightness controls are indeed fixed.

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
There is a known issue that if the update fails it can cause the screen brightness to act funky. Beyond fixing OTA, this error is being addressed for future updates