Temp on Infotainment Screen (Opposite of other post)

DadzBoyz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mustang Mach-E GTPE (ordered), 20 Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Software Systems Integrator
Country flag
I've noticed this.
My wife has noticed this.
My sons (16 and 20, not little) have noticed this.
Other passengers notice this.

The temperature displayed at the top of my infotainment screen is WAAAAY off. On 92-94ish degree days, it's not unusually to see it display 106-110 degrees.
Are others seeing this?

The Facts:
  • I start it in the garage, where I have a thermometer, and the real temp is 94°. The car shows 107°.
    • For those that say "It initially shows the last temp" the last temp was 88 degrees when I drove it at night.
    • For those that say that the car has to acclimate, I had a Nissan, I still have a Mazda, a VW, and a Hyundai. They all show an accurate temp within a couple of degrees at start-up.
  • If I'm out and about, it may be sitting in the sun, but 110° ? Again, my other cars have not/do not do the same. The highest temp I've seen on any other car is 102° once..... Once. (Name that movie)
If the purpose of the temperature display is to show the people in the car what the current temperature is where they are, I think something may be wrong with that sensor on my car, and I can deal with that. I'll take it in for service.

If the purpose is to show a temperature that is different than what is applicable to people, but is applicable to battery performance... That can be valuable information, but it should be labeled for what it is and placed on the instrument panel screen or in a battery/charge screen in the infotainment. Putting it front and center on the infotainment screen is bad design.

People see a temperature and immediately see it as how it relates to them, not the battery. How do I know this?
- This has been true in every car that I've had that displays the temp (ICE, Hybrid).
- The countless people that have been in may car and noticed/commented/laughed at the ridiculous temperature that's displayed.
> "It's not THAT hot outside."
> "Something is wrong with your car. It's showing 109°."
> "Well, that's just wrong (laughing)."

Again, I may have a bad sensor and I can take it in for that.
If someone knows for a fact that this is normal and it's the temp affecting the battery, or something else, I'd like to know that too.

Prior forum thread on infotainment temp, for opposite reason (it's accurate but Android Auto is wrong):
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/why-is-the-temp-on-infotainment-screen-so-wrong.27354/
Sponsored

OP
OP
DadzBoyz

DadzBoyz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Yes. I read through a lot of them, but felt like stories and reasons were all over the place.
Why did I think that my thread would be any different?

Ummmmm. Yeah. You got me there.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Many topics on this already, you could have searched. It's not all over the place, it makes complete sense to me what's happening.

#1 - check that your temp sensor isn't covered with PPF film. There's a hole in the front bumper above the grille shutters with the probe centered in it, that needs to be open for airflow.
#2 - Temp does not read accurately when the vehicle is stationary, especially when the A/C is running. This is an EV thing due to the front end being closed off and not having a good spot to put the sensor anymore.
#3 - Temp when you first turn on the car is sort of an average since you last turned off your car. The sensor will warm up from the radiator heat after the car is shut off.
#4 - You have to drive faster than 20 mph for several minutes before the sensor will give a correct reading.

Drive on the highway at 40+ MPH for 5 minutes and then check the temp reading. If it reads somewhat accurate, then there isn't an issue with your sensor. It's just a design limitations due to having to put the sensor in a mostly closed area next to a hot radiator/condenser.

OP
OP
DadzBoyz

DadzBoyz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
There are many threads on this topic... Here are a few:
Yes. I read through a lot of them, but felt like stories and reasons were all over the place.
Thank you, Lee.
As I mentioned. I read through a lot of them.
Honestly, I'm not going to read through every bit of 10 threads with 4, 8, 10, 14 or however many pages. I don't have the time, patience, or attention span to do that.
However I will search the Forum, look at some threads and read through some pages hoping to find an answer, and I often do. For those times when I do not seen an answer in that reading (like on this subject/issue) I will:
  • Post a question relevant information sharing relevant facts
  • Share that I have dome some research and reading on the forum
  • Include thoughts from some of the reading I've done
  • Include links to a thread or two that I read
  • ... and hope that some nice friends might help out, as I am happy to do for other friends here as well.
I'll take your thoughts and suggestions under advisement and see it that helps. Thank you. ;)

OP
OP
DadzBoyz

DadzBoyz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
@MachLee ,
Somehow, as soon as I read your comment about PPF covering the sensor, that was the problem.
And...
Ford Mustang Mach-E Temp on Infotainment Screen (Opposite of other post) IMG_1884

I cut a hole for the sensor, but I think it's time to go see my PPF guy for this and a couple of other corners, etc. for him to fix.

Thanks for the knowledge!

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
@MachLee ,
Somehow, as soon as I read your comment about PPF covering the sensor, that was the problem.
And...
IMG_1884.jpeg

I cut a hole for the sensor, but I think it's time to go see my PPF guy for this and a couple of other corners, etc. for him to fix.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Temp on Infotainment Screen (Opposite of other post) xhss9

My PPF installer did the same, I caught it before I left. Very common PPF problem with the Mach-E.

JamesStew71

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mustang mach e
Occupation
auto tech
Country flag
I've noticed this.
My wife has noticed this.
My sons (16 and 20, not little) have noticed this.
Other passengers notice this.

The temperature displayed at the top of my infotainment screen is WAAAAY off. On 92-94ish degree days, it's not unusually to see it display 106-110 degrees.
Are others seeing this?

The Facts:
  • I start it in the garage, where I have a thermometer, and the real temp is 94°. The car shows 107°.
    • For those that say "It initially shows the last temp" the last temp was 88 degrees when I drove it at night.
    • For those that say that the car has to acclimate, I had a Nissan, I still have a Mazda, a VW, and a Hyundai. They all show an accurate temp within a couple of degrees at start-up.
  • If I'm out and about, it may be sitting in the sun, but 110° ? Again, my other cars have not/do not do the same. The highest temp I've seen on any other car is 102° once..... Once. (Name that movie)
If the purpose of the temperature display is to show the people in the car what the current temperature is where they are, I think something may be wrong with that sensor on my car, and I can deal with that. I'll take it in for service.

If the purpose is to show a temperature that is different than what is applicable to people, but is applicable to battery performance... That can be valuable information, but it should be labeled for what it is and placed on the instrument panel screen or in a battery/charge screen in the infotainment. Putting it front and center on the infotainment screen is bad design.

People see a temperature and immediately see it as how it relates to them, not the battery. How do I know this?
- This has been true in every car that I've had that displays the temp (ICE, Hybrid).
- The countless people that have been in may car and noticed/commented/laughed at the ridiculous temperature that's displayed.
> "It's not THAT hot outside."
> "Something is wrong with your car. It's showing 109°."
> "Well, that's just wrong (laughing)."

Again, I may have a bad sensor and I can take it in for that.
If someone knows for a fact that this is normal and it's the temp affecting the battery, or something else, I'd like to know that too.

Prior forum thread on infotainment temp, for opposite reason (it's accurate but Android Auto is wrong):
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/why-is-the-temp-on-infotainment-screen-so-wrong.27354/
Yep, I would lime to know if they have ambient sensor in a bad position. Runs the hell outta the fans

JeffGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD ext range
Country flag
Not just an EV thing. My Audi also read quite high when I got in the car on warm days. But it takes the MME a bit longer to come down to expected/reasonable temps.

PA27

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME X
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I am with DadzBoyz, both in my temp sensor and, in the few weeks I’ve owned my MME, I have searched this site for this subject and others only to find old posts. On an ever evolving new product like this, nothing old necessarily applies. Thanks to those still helping us newbies.

AngryMan

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OLD 2021 Select , NEW 2023 GT...RED !
Occupation
Living the good life
Country flag
I am with DadzBoyz, both in my temp sensor and, in the few weeks I’ve owned my MME, I have searched this site for this subject and others only to find old posts. On an ever evolving new product like this, nothing old necessarily applies. Thanks to those still helping us newbies.
NAILED IT . Posts from 2+ years ago may or may not be relevant or even correct anymore .OTAs may have changed the equation and the replies from back then may no longer be accurate. 2+ years of "experimentation"and real life experience with out cars may give us a newer take on an old issue .
IF you don't want to answer the question posed then maybe sit out that thread . An answer is better than searching 5 threads and reading through 30 or so posts on each and coming away with no answers

EVCheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Premium RWD Std, Cyber Orange
Occupation
(No longer "MachNCheese"! Long live "EVCheese".)
Country flag
@MachLee ,
And...
Ford Mustang Mach-E Temp on Infotainment Screen (Opposite of other post) xhss9

Thank you for the photo. That helps.

EVCheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Premium RWD Std, Cyber Orange
Occupation
(No longer "MachNCheese"! Long live "EVCheese".)
Country flag
Yup, confirmed. I never would have thought to check for covered-up outside temperature sensor when I got PPF on the Mach-E. It's on the front just over the right louvers.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Temp on Infotainment Screen (Opposite of other post) IMG_1316
Sponsored