WarpFactor9

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Rapid Red Premium SR AWD
Country flag
So I live in Florida and lately the temperature has been swinging from near 60 in the AM to 80 or higher during the day. While at work my Mach-e is sitting in the hot sun so I do a remote start before leaving the office. When I get in the car 5 min later I’m surprised to find that the AC is not on, or just barely on. I finally noticed that the outside temperature display is showing 65 - the temperature when I parked! It seems to take a good 10 minutes for it to update to the actual temperature (85) and then the AC jumps to fast cool mode. Similarly, in the AM when I start the car it thinks it’s 85 for a while and the AC comes on high while I actually probably need a little heat (hey, it’s Florida)! Not a major issue but I’m wondering what might cause a delay in the temperature sensor. Note that I currently have PowerUp 4.2.2.

Have any of you experienced this? Are there any known solutions or should I bring it to the dealership? Thanks for any info or advice!
Sponsored

Rich_Maine

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Toyota Prius Prime
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hi,

I have the opposite issue, I live in Maine! And since the first day of ownership, the outdoor temp has taken quite a while to update. Never experienced this is any other car I have owned.

No idea why, just another Sync failing.

Pibe38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium X
Country flag
I live in Florida too and actually noticed this the other day as well. It was in the 90s outside and the car show 75 until I drove for a while.

It’s happened to me twice so far.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Every Ford I‘ve owned in the last 10 years has behaved this way.
When you start the car, the temp initially displayed is the temperature it was when you last shut it off. It takes 10-15 minutes to catch up.

I’ve never had that cause an issue with the HVAC on remote start, though.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
So I live in Florida and lately the temperature has been swinging from near 60 in the AM to 80 or higher during the day. While at work my Mach-e is sitting in the hot sun so I do a remote start before leaving the office. When I get in the car 5 min later I’m surprised to find that the AC is not on, or just barely on. I finally noticed that the outside temperature display is showing 65 - the temperature when I parked! It seems to take a good 10 minutes for it to update to the actual temperature (85) and then the AC jumps to fast cool mode. Similarly, in the AM when I start the car it thinks it’s 85 for a while and the AC comes on high while I actually probably need a little heat (hey, it’s Florida)! Not a major issue but I’m wondering what might cause a delay in the temperature sensor. Note that I currently have PowerUp 4.2.2.

Have any of you experienced this? Are there any known solutions or should I bring it to the dealership? Thanks for any info or advice!
Normal. You have to drive above 20 mph for 90 seconds before it will update the outside temp. This is so the temp sensor in the front grille get a good "sample" of the outside air. When the car is stationary the heat from the pavement and the heat from the radiator/AC will make the sensor read higher than reality.

I see raw temp data on the scan tool, it's very erratic when the vehicle is stationary with the A/C running, I totally see why they added a filtering algorithm that prevents updates when the car is stopped.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I see raw temp data on the scan tool, it's very erratic when the vehicle is stationary with the A/C running, I totally see why they added a filtering algorithm that prevents updates when the car is stopped.
I get it as well, but if it fails to allow one to cool or heat their car via a remote start (in scenarios as described by the OP), then that's a problem. 😕

JimmyMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Car Scanner shows several ambient temperature readings, either there are more ambient sensors, or signal from one sensor is modulated in many ways.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I get it as well, but if it fails to allow one to cool or heat their car via a remote start (in scenarios as described by the OP), then that's a problem. 😕
I think the HVAC uses the non-filtered temp parameters. It was plenty warm for A/C to be on (above 32ºF) so it would have run either way. It should ramp A/C based on interior cabin temp and settings.

@WarpFactor9 I suggest verifying your remote start climate setting is set to "AUTO" instead of "Last setting". AUTO will be more powerful and cool down faster. Also, 5 minutes may not be enough time to cool the cabin after sitting in the hot sun, try waiting 10 minutes.

Tom L

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Clarity
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Normal. You have to drive above 20 mph for 90 seconds before it will update the outside temp. This is so the temp sensor in the front grille get a good "sample" of the outside air. When the car is stationary the heat from the pavement and the heat from the radiator/AC will make the sensor read higher than reality.

I have read all of Mach-Lee’s contributions to the forum and am astounded that one guy could know so frickin’ much about the MME and its attendant technology. Maybe Mach-Lee isn’t one guy. I have a theory it’s a consortium of highly qualified, customer-oriented job applicants that Ford didn’t hire.

OP
OP
WarpFactor9

WarpFactor9

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Rapid Red Premium SR AWD
Country flag

Thanks for the explanation- this actually makes sense. On my other car, an Acura, the outside temp must not have a built in delay and when I start it up in a similar situation it will initially say 110 degrees or something. I will try and set the remote start climate setting to Auto as someone suggested and see if that helps.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I have read all of Mach-Lee’s contributions to the forum and am astounded that one guy could know so frickin’ much about the MME and its attendant technology. Maybe Mach-Lee isn’t one guy. I have a theory it’s a consortium of highly qualified, customer-oriented job applicants that Ford didn’t hire.
Tom that's hilarious, I'm just one dude. Some of this info comes from tech bulletins or the service manual.
Sponsored