Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e
Occupation
Sales Executive
Country flag
Has anyone tried to use a Tesla converter to get access to more ev chargers for the MME? Is it worth it?
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
search on "teslatap". You can only use it at "destination" chargers, which are Level 2 240VAC chargers (similar to what you'd put in your garage). There is no adapter for Tesla "Superchargers", which are DC Fast chargers

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Yes ... people have. I have a Tesla Tap adapter which, unfortunately ... showed up a day late.

Keep in mind these only work with Tesla Level 2 chargers (destination chargers) and not at DC chargers (Tesla SuperChargers).

My partner and I had to drive my in-laws to an out-of-state funeral. We looked for hotels with Level 2 chargers and found two options.

One hotel had two J1772 chargers. The other had two J1772 *and* two Tesla destination chargers. We picked the latter thinking that a Tesla (far more of them) could be tying up a J1772 ... but would be unlikely to do so if they had their own charger. So the odds that all four chargers would be occupied was a lot less.

Unfortunately that hotel had a wiring problem where two chargers that were meant to have their own breakers were actually sharing the *same* breaker. So you couldn't charge two cars at the same time. There was another car charging and as soon as we plugged in, we popped the breaker and the LED indicators went out on both stations.

We notified the front desk. They sent someone to reset the breakers but they just popped again (and noted that the panel actually had a separate breaker for *each* station...they were not supposed to be wired to share the breaker.) BUT... there was nobody using the Tesla charger. Had I had an adapter... I would have been fine.

Ultimately I was able to charge because the other car was a plug-in hybrid (small battery pack) so they were full in about an hour. I just had to wait it out to plug in and then my car charged overnight.

I do recommend getting one. The Mach-E will pull up to 48 amps on Level 2 stations so you want an adapter that can handle at least that much.

I bought the 80 amp version of the Tesla Tap ... but that's just me future-proofing the purchase. I.e. if I had an F-150 Lighting... it actually can pull 80 amps (and a Tesla destination charger can provide that much if they wire the station for it. Some Tesla's could pull 80 amps while charging.)

jimbobiii

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue ER AWD MME, Model 3
Country flag
I use a Tesla tap for our home charger (wife has Model 3) and it works great. It’s rated for more than the Lectron and should handle more circumstances?

Eric_C_Boston

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
I have the original UMC-J1772 50A "Tesla Tap". It works great. I did have a problem at a motel that had two Tesla Destination Chargers and a ClipperCreek Level 2 J1772 Charger. I had a problem with the J1772 Charger, so I tried a Destination Charger with the same result. It turns out the ClipperCreek did not like having the charger plug inserted with the Mach E off. I did not have a problem with the Clippercreek when the car was in Accessory mode when I plugged in.

I had an interesting email exchange with the Tesla Tap support person. Tesla Destination Chargers have a Tesla mode and a J1772 mode. The J1772 mode can be disabled. The instructions for the Tesla Tap says to plug in the adapter to the Destination Charger and wait at least 30 seconds before plugging the adapter in the car. This action causes a timeout that allows J1772 mode even if it is disabled.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Based on the announcement that Tesla will be allowing CCS EVs to use their superchargers by the end of the year, they should be releasing an official adapter for us to purchase by then ?
One free with every cybertruck. :p

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I had an interesting email exchange with the Tesla Tap support person. Tesla Destination Chargers have a Tesla mode and a J1772 mode. The J1772 mode can be disabled. The instructions for the Tesla Tap says to plug in the adapter to the Destination Charger and wait at least 30 seconds before plugging the adapter in the car. This action causes a timeout that allows J1772 mode even if it is disabled.
Good info, thanks for posting.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Based on the announcement that Tesla will be allowing CCS EVs to use their superchargers by the end of the year, they should be releasing an official adapter for us to purchase by then ?
I'll finally have a worthy use case for redeeming my Tesla referral "loot box" points. ? ? ?

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME SR RWD, 23 MME GTPE
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag
Has anyone tried to use a Tesla converter to get access to more ev chargers for the MME? Is it worth it?
Whether it is worth it or not is highly dependent on how frequently you take road trips and what the charging infrastructure looks like at your destinations. They are pricy.

Jd43325

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Nitro
Country flag
If I was to buy a tesla tap now would it be able to use the full function of the tesla superchargers when they become available?

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
If I was to buy a tesla tap now would it be able to use the full function of the tesla superchargers when they become available?
No, the current adapters only adapt the Level 2 charging pins - the DCFC part isn't even there. If/when Tesla opens up the superchargers it will require a totally new type of adapter (Supercharger -> CCS).

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
and Teslas will have full level 5 automation by the end of 2019.
Sponsored