That darn plug door!

Astro19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E select
Country flag
I did it again. Like the third time. In the mornings I struggle to get the mind working and have forgotten to shut the plug door to the charger.

Then I wake up as my garage smashes my charge door. First two times no damage miraculously. The third... The gloss protector flew off. I slid it back on but a piece is broken.

Anybody else done this?
Sponsored

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Three times? Dude.....

You either have a very narrow garage door or you're in need of a mirror so you can see the clearance on both sides or an alarm system, curb feelers, parking attendant...

Or.... just close the door.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Oof, post of photo, I'm sure most of us aren't sure what part you're referring to. To me, it is the same as getting gas at a pump, it feels pretty muscle memory like to take off the charger and close it. Even if I put the charger away first, when I turn back to my car, I instantly see the charge door open.

GuliblGuy

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black 2021 Premium 4X Mach E
Country flag
Three times? Dude.....

You either have a very narrow garage door or you're in need of a mirror so you can see the clearance on both sides or an alarm system, curb feelers, parking attendant...

Or.... just close the door.
Also... It flashes a message saying that the charge port door is open...

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
You really need to start backing into the garage when you get home. If you’re this asleep when you leave the house, driving out forward will be safer in a lot of ways.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Once I unplugged the charger and my wife snuck in the driver seat... Somehow she didn't notice the big red alarm box until after down the road... luckily didn't hit the garage backing out.

Glen Boise

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You could just make a note card, that you place on the dash or windshield, reminding you to check to see that the charge port is closed when you prepare to charge.
Or, you could just start closing the door, just after unplugging, then hang up the charger handle and cable. The charger plug handle and cable are not that heavy or awkward after all.

ArthurH

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD EX; Rapid Red
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Ford should prevent the car from going into gear when the charge port door is open - simple software fix that only impacts those at risk of damage.
Except that I have seen my wife's charger door pop out in the middle of driving. The theory is the heat affecting the plastics in the mechanism. I'd hate to see the system affecting the driving capabilities due to Ford's own design flaws.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Ford should prevent the car from going into gear when the charge port door is open - simple software fix that only impacts those at risk of damage.
Yeah. Thought about this, but a bad sensor (or a damaged door) would prevent you from driving at all. Same reason you can still drive with the doors open, etc.

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT 2023 Rivian R1S
Country flag
Yeah. Thought about this, but a bad sensor (or a damaged door) would prevent you from driving at all. Same reason you can still drive with the doors open, etc.
My Honda Ridgeline won’t go into gear with the driver door open. Maybe a thing going forward.

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT 2023 Rivian R1S
Country flag
No thank you! I don't want to be stuck because of a faulty sensor.
Ok, I can see that point, not that aren’t 100 other sensors that will brick the car.

So now I need to throw anyone that doesn't note the existing warning under the bus but I’m a polite guy. Or maybe Ford can add a audible signal for those in a hurry and miss the current alert.

My point is there is a free fix to what has not been an isolated occurrence.
Sponsored