The ‘next-generation’ of CarPlay is launching this year; here’s everything we know

itsthenewdc

First Name
Damian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Line Producer
Country flag
It took years before CarPlay ended up actually being in vehicles people bought, and even longer for wireless CarPlay to be a thing. I’d be real surprised if Ford was actually an early adopter of this. I’d expect it to be more of a thing come 2025-2026 time frame. These types of big companies are SLOOOOWWWW to adopt anything.
Sponsored

notaek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
It took years before CarPlay ended up actually being in vehicles people bought, and even longer for wireless CarPlay to be a thing. I’d be real surprised if Ford was actually an early adopter of this. I’d expect it to be more of a thing come 2025-2026 time frame. These types of big companies are SLOOOOWWWW to adopt anything.
I’m optimistic on this. Over like 95% of new car owners want CarPlay in their car, it would be foolish not to support it.

Plus they hired Doug Field from Apple and Ford has been pushing updates to CarPlay since launch.

Also I think their is two things at play here:

1. CarPlay may get an update this year for all existing systems they will be mainly Nav and Audio features.

2. There will be a new CarPlay experience like Android Automotive where it’s fully integrated into the car for dash, HVAC and other vehicle controls.

Id bet money the current models will only get #1 and #2 is for the next gen and will require hardware upgrades.

We’ll find out in June, can’t wait!

Last edited:

Mach-DB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Yeah, you clearly didn't watch and listen to what they said in the Keynote. There was no mention of licenses or anything like you seem to think here. They said "....and car manufactures from around the world are excited to bring this new vision of CarPlay to customers...." while showing the slide with the list who are adopting it.

Source: (Apple Keynote trimmed to CarPlay segment.)

As for your other statement, I will make it quick. The CarPlay segment was 4 minutes long as it was a sneak peak and not a focused topic of the entire keynote. The keynotes are designed to be within 1 ½ hours. There is a ton of information that gets cut. I know this because I have worked for Apple directly with knowledge of how these operate, and a project I worked on was featured in a WWDC keynote in 2022. (eSIM deployment for MDM systems)

Now does that mean it's coming to for sure? No, because Ford could just say that older MMEs won't get the software update for it to have the API's talk. Will CarPlay 2.0 be better than the current version we have? Absolutely since it will give more data and better UI for larger displays. (This doesn't require any Ford updates as it's all on Apples side.)

CarPlay 2.0 isn't going to replace Sync4A, it's in addition to it. Remember, Sync4A still does all the work, it just hands off the data to CarPlay so the two systems talk to each other. The trick is to get all the API's in line to work seamlessly. This is already in action when it comes to the EV integration with the current CarPlay. So the sending of data back and forth is already fully functional. 2.0 Just adds a bunch more here. Believe it or not, in order to adopt CarPlay, automakers already have to give a good list of APIs over to Apple for control so that when Apple pushes an update, it doesn't break anything else with CarPlay functionality.

The data Apple stated as far as what US buyers expect isn't unrealistic. It's very much a driver in sales, and automakers know it. Dropping support would be a large mistake, and shareholders know it too.

As far as timing goes, it's going to be a long wait anyways. I really don't see any of it being pushed by Apple until iOS 17.2 or iOS 17.3. so it's got a long ways to go yet. I've heard rumblings that it's being tested on physical car hardware but who knows what that really is.

Very helpful, thanks.

Deleted member 16048

This is very true. The largest issue though at first launch was the hardware that was required to make it work. These new enhancements are more software based and/or hardware depending on how automakers current infotainment systems work. SYNCs software controls the HVAC, and talks to other systems already itself, and so a software update to allow CarPlays APIs to talk to the same data SYNC is pulling would all that really be needed (In theory). The trick is just keeping the lag down so that it's coming in at realtime. Really depends on how automakers configured and wrote the software for their systems.

So adoption this time around will hopefully be quicker... hopefully.

itsthenewdc

First Name
Damian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Line Producer
Country flag
This is very true. The largest issue though at first launch was the hardware that was required to make it work. These new enhancements are more software based and/or hardware depending on how automakers current infotainment systems work. SYNCs software controls the HVAC, and talks to other systems already itself, and so a software update to allow CarPlays APIs to talk to the same data SYNC is pulling would all that really be needed (In theory). The trick is just keeping the lag down so that it's coming in at realtime. Really depends on how automakers configured and wrote the software for their systems.

So adoption this time around will hopefully be quicker... hopefully.
I am definitely crossing my fingers for it to be quicker this time around. Like you said, it being more software-based should expedite it 🤞🏻

Xadion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium RWD SR - Plat Graphite
Country flag
Mmmm if it would do the insturmnent panel I would be so happy but I doubt Ford will do it for current cars sadly

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I doubt it's that high, the mix here in the states is around 50/50. Outside of the states it favored Android maybe 70/30 and mostly because iphones are expensive.

Here is another note and if someone mentioned it already I missed it sorry.

The version of car play is a full integration within the car. If ford were to adopt it it would replace sync 4, however they have already announced their replacement for sync 4 is android automotive. They did also announce that 2023 is going to be the first year for some vehicles to have Android automotive. Neither of these is backwards compatible with our current Mach E cars and won't be an option for us.

You could head over to the Polestar forums to get some feedback on Android automotive I am fairly certain you can run the current car play screen projection version on it. Google has been far kinder in it's support for Apple products than apple has given to Google.

Here is something I saw showing off Android Automotive 2.0 that will come on the new Polestar 3

I think AA 2.0 looks like sync 4

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2022/0...polestar-3-is-more-smartphone-like-than-ever/

2-1.jpg
Adjust that mix for income (and people buying $50k+ cars) and I bet $100 that MME owners with iPhones are closer to 90% than 50%. In the US, by and large Android phones are owned by lower income people. And the stats back that up.

Ford Mustang Mach-E The ‘next-generation’ of CarPlay is launching this year; here’s everything we know {filename}

Last edited:

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Adjust that mix for income (and people buying $50k+ cars) and I bet $100 that MME owners with iPhones are closer to 90% than 50%. In the US, by and large Android phones are owned by lower income people. And the stats back that up.

Ford Mustang Mach-E The ‘next-generation’ of CarPlay is launching this year; here’s everything we know {filename}
I think I take that bet, although I agree most people who own a MME probably are iphone users I highly doubt is 90%.

This is going to be extremely hard to prove

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Remember, Apple controls all of CarPlay and its UI and APIs. If the car talks to CarPlay with these APIs, it can use them. So my educated guess is that we will see a better CarPlay experience on current models without Ford doing anything. (Split screen and better UI on the large display.)
I think your guess is right. And I’d be totally fine with that. While almost everyone in this thread is geeking out about whether CarPlay is gonna take over their IPC (no way in hell) - I’m excited that we might actually get a major CarPlay UI refresh this year.

Maybe give us a better split screen with less wasted space, and LOSE THE ROUNDED CORNERS. I’m a simple man with simple hopes and dreams…

ThatGuyLando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CR1
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
If Ford has to write even a single line of code to support it, they will find a way to screw it up.

Electric Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag

That's because android phones cover all price points unlike Apple devices that are not budget friendly so of course the numbers will be skewed. Also, I'm willing to bet that high income iPhone users are more likely to buy a real Tesla instead of the "Wal-Mart Tesla" as kids are calling the Mach-E these days. iPhone users are also skewed towards being female and the female uptake on electric cars is pretty low.

MachEnthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
Software PM
Country flag
I doubt we'll see any of the advanced integrations in existing MMEs. Also, hasn't Ford already announced Android Automotive OS as their future platform? Would they be really motivated to provide a fully integrated Carplay experience within Android Auto OS?

You're right that the "split screen view" Carplay format is nicer in those mockups. The changes are so small and easy, and I hope they roll those out soon. The nav window is taller, and the "next turn" guidance is moved inside of it. They make space for another meaningful app (weather and/or music) and everything is good.
I think they've already said that this requires a different generation of hardware and won't be an OTA update. At least I'm pretty sure I read that when they announced this last year.

Edit: Actually they basically confirm this in the article here. If you want any of this you need to buy a new Mach-E.

waltermorel

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD ER
Country flag
Yes, i read that too and should be available from 2024 MachE versions only

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I think they've already said that this requires a different generation of hardware and won't be an OTA update. At least I'm pretty sure I read that when they announced this last year.

Edit: Actually they basically confirm this in the article here. If you want any of this you need to buy a new Mach-E.
This depends since ford is not completely redesigning the MME for 2024 the hardware they change will probably just be the APIM and it's likely you can swap a AA APIM into a 2021-2023. This is not supported by ford and they don't warranty things like this but it has been done before.

My 2013 Lincoln MKZ had sync 2 I swapped the center console to one from a 2017 that also featured sync 3 for AA a CP compatibility. I think this is a fairly common swap these days. No, I don't have any inside knowledge but based on Ford's history it's likely to work.

here is an example

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2557699318...QTibpEKQciFYtNnjEsyGKLCrUf|tkp:Bk9SR7ru7qrEYQ
Sponsored