Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
Tint is unnecessary. If you were to use a ceramic tint, you’ll feel more heat, because the tint stores heat.

I tinted the roof glass and felt noticeably more heat. Now I use a sunshade in the summer months.

Spend less on a sunshade from Amazon.
Sponsored

Xadion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium RWD SR - Plat Graphite
Country flag
I am in Florida and for heat its fine stock, but the glare and beaming sun sometimes is still harsh. I bought a pop in shade (still needs clips) and it helps and cheaper than tint

Lynsey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT - Star White
Country flag
Yeah, don't do it. You don't need it. I always tint my windows, but with this I just did 70% ceramic all around (not roof). I just wanted the benefits of ceramic (heat/uv), but I didn't really need it darker. It's dark already.

P.S. I'm in So Cal and have not noticed a heat difference between my Select with the solid roof, and my GT with the glass roof. I really enjoy the glass roof and so do my dogs. Nicer driving experience with the glass to notice any small heat difference.

Last edited:

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Definitely totally unnecessary. I’d say that you’re more likely to need a gas-powered generator in the frunk than any kind of shade for the pano roof.
Any suggestion on the gas-powered generator for the frunk?
Specifically, I'd like to hear Jim's thoughts on ease of access for refueling.

machme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 GT
Country flag
In South Florida. Stock it was fine but still tinted with Luminar Air 80 and even less heat. Overall I think Ford did a good job with it stock. Personal preference to tint.

Mach 5e

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e Premium
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Good idea/bad idea/Unnecessary?
I live in Honolulu. Mach-e Premium Aug. 2021. 11,000 miles.
after tinting the two front windows with matching ceramic, I considered tinting the glass roof and even the inside of the windshield for heat reduction. I can honestly say I have never been bothered by the direct beating down sun when driving. The heat reduction would have been to reduce AC to extend range?

The glass is like my hi-rise condo tower and does the job to reflect and filter, so just never thought about it after the first week. IF you park outside for hours on end in the hot sun, then that might be an additional consideration.

Devon

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
I think neither tint or a shade is necessary. I live in CT and feel no heat or overhead glare. I wear a Mets baseball hat with a brim. It’s cheaper.

gordonf238

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD, Ext. range
Country flag
I tinted mine with 30% 3M ceramic film. Kids no longer get blinded by mid day sun and the cabin feels cooler too. I would recommend it.

1969Camaro

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium, 2018 Prius Prime, 1969 Camaro
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
They’re really not necessary. The sun roof is infrared resistant and fairly dark. Ask the Arizona. MME owners about life with a sunroof. I haven’t had a bit of trouble here in the tropics with the sunroof.
You can feel a little heat on the hottest days near 120F. But the A/C in the MME plus remote start is the best of any vehicle I have ever owned... I dont think its worth the risk of the glass breaking.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
The husband has a Tesla, it does not heat up the car I mean if u touch it it’s hot, but it really doesn’t. Everyone here seems to say the same thing about the mme? Personally I like having a closeable one and/or a roof that opens would be nice too! Guess the select hard top had another bonus we will will not get with the converted order huh;) I like the idea of waiting to see if it’s an issue as someone else said…
@ElectrifyME Funny, as we both had select w/ C-T option orders for '22 with the non glass roof which I was really looking forward to.

But now with our forced '23 Premium orders w/ glass roof - I got worried as it gets super hot in sunny So Cal.

Even yesterday where the temps reached 78 degrees in OC, it was toasty in my non glass hard steel top Lightning and had to roll down the windows. Was thinking of traditional glass roofs in the past and thought how it would bake the top of my head....

Will see how the MME does if we ever get it....

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I love the "will see" type comments. Person after person says there's no heat. #TrustButVerify

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
The roof glass is supposed to get hot, that's what the UV glass does. That's literally UV energy that is being stopped at the roofline and not coming down into your car, heating up the interior. The glass absorbs that energy, heats up, and radiates it back out. Most of it radiates upward, though you get some heat transfer into the cabin through conduction, it's fairly minimal. Same goes for a solid roof, cloth covering, or extra tint.
The roof glass is supposed to get hot, that's what the UV glass does. That's literally UV energy that is being stopped at the roofline and not coming down into your car, heating up the interior. The glass absorbs that energy, heats up, and radiates it back out. Most of it radiates upward, though you get some heat transfer into the cabin through conduction, it's fairly minimal. Same goes for a solid roof, cloth covering, or extra tint.
I wanted to believe that I didn’t need to put a snap and cover and when I parked, but I found out that’s not true one day last July I parked the car in my driveway for eight hours without my covering the starting temperature in the interior was 88° in eight hours later the temperature was 161°. The next day when the temperature was exactly the same I did the same thing with my snap in cover covering the sunroof and when starting the temperature was 90° and eight hours later the temperature was 129°. That’s a 30+ degree difference using the cover when the car is sitting in the sun and not moving and that makes a big difference when you start up cooling your car and using your battery that’s my findings in the state of Arizona in July in the sun, with an accurate digital reader, on the same conditions in the same position Two days apart
Jes sayin

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
Here’s what I’m talking about. It’s called the blaze Ray and if you’re in Arizona, you really should have one because if you don’t think it’s getting hotter I’ve proven it is. It’s not a tint. Especially when you’re parking because that tinted panel gives off heat better when the car is moving but not so much when it’s sitting It keeps your car cooler. It makes it darker inside for the gauges to look better and it also prevents people from looking at stuff in your car and wanting to break in and there’s no reason not to have one.
Jes sayin

Ford Mustang Mach-E Tinting the panoramic roof F166B084-3E03-47FE-8A15-7065FB3EF8B4
Ford Mustang Mach-E Tinting the panoramic roof F166B084-3E03-47FE-8A15-7065FB3EF8B4
Sponsored