scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Andy ought to know. He has had two fail. 🤬🐩 Have you been beating your pony, Andy? 🤪🐩 I am still driving mine like there’s an egg shell on top of the go pedal. ☹🐩
No eggshells on my pedals... My car has been great since receiving the redesigned junction box first week of July.
Sponsored

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I would question why the car is on the used market so soon. It might have issues. I presume the warranty would transfer though so I guess the question is "how lucky do you feel?". :)

Good luck whatever you decide! 👍
I’d not consider any used Mach-e GT built before May 25 unless there was proof of the most current HVBJB part replacement.

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I would try to find a new one personally with an ADM and look at the CA tax rebate and the Fed rebate as the balancer vs. this used one. One should just look at their own payout vs. caring much whether another seller got the markup/profit or the dealer did. Makes no difference in terms of your own finances.

I generally don't like used, especially if the price is the same as new so I wouldn't get used at all, but that's me.

If you're seriously considering this one, then I think you should be able to find something with an ADM as well. Like that other thread of someone buying a car for $5k ADM (talked down from $9k, you just have to do a bit of work).

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/rate-this-deal-need-feedback-on-gt.22502/

A lot of folks say ADM, no way, but that's still not where the market is I don't think at this point. Since you're in CA as well and gas is $6-$7/gallon, $$ can be saved instantly having an EV, especially if you have solar.

Funny comment on surprising the wife. Makes me think of folks surprising the wife with very uncomfortable lingerie or power tools as gifts! :)

OP
OP

Teeg404

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e gt
Country flag
I would try to find a new one personally with an ADM and look at the CA tax rebate and the Fed rebate as the balancer vs. this used one. One should just look at their own payout vs. caring much whether another seller got the markup/profit or the dealer did. Makes no difference in terms of your own finances.

I generally don't like used, especially if the price is the same as new so I wouldn't get used at all, but that's me.

If you're seriously considering this one, then I think you should be able to find something with an ADM as well. Like that other thread of someone buying a car for $5k ADM (talked down from $9k, you just have to do a bit of work).

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/rate-this-deal-need-feedback-on-gt.22502/

A lot of folks say ADM, no way, but that's still not where the market is I don't think at this point. Since you're in CA as well and gas is $6-$7/gallon, $$ can be saved instantly having an EV, especially if you have solar.

Funny comment on surprising the wife. Makes me think of folks surprising the wife with very uncomfortable lingerie or power tools as gifts! :)
5k ADM is reasonable right now especially given all the tax incentives and the price of gas here. A nationwide search did yield some GTPE at MSRP. And yes this surprise is just a risky!

DennisD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Driving School Instructor
Country flag
5k ADM is reasonable right now especially given all the tax incentives and the price of gas here. A nationwide search did yield some GTPE at MSRP. And yes this surprise is just a risky!
I am not sure what the risk is by doing a search?

If you can't find one within the next week, one can always go to the other dealerships that do have ADM.

I personally would wait a little longer but I don't know your situation.

Think of it like this. If you do find one for MSRP, take the extra 5 - 10 k and buy a CD. They are yielding over 4% for a 12-18 month term.

After the term is up, apply that toward buying your wife something nice or just keep it in CD's making even more cash.

Another option would be to purchase stock. It is down around 20% of what it was a few months ago and I would guess it will rebound in around the same 18 month period.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the risk-reward is a no brainer. If you take the advice of some on this forum that says, "buy it today with an ADM" you are basically throwing 5-10K out the window and you will NEVER see it again.

On the other hand, if you call around today you may be surprised (in a good way).

Like I said, you can always take the money and "throw it in the air" if you can't find anything.

Good Luck and please let us know what you do. I am curious at this point.

PS- You can buy an awful lot of gas for 5 k. Be patient.

OP
OP

Teeg404

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e gt
Country flag
I am not sure what the risk is by doing a search?

If you can't find one within the next week, one can always go to the other dealerships that do have ADM.

I personally would wait a little longer but I don't know your situation.

Think of it like this. If you do find one for MSRP, take the extra 5 - 10 k and buy a CD. They are yielding over 4% for a 12-18 month term.

After the term is up, apply that toward buying your wife something nice or just keep it in CD's making even more cash.

Another option would be to purchase stock. It is down around 20% of what it was a few months ago and I would guess it will rebound in around the same 18 month period.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the risk-reward is a no brainer. If you take the advice of some on this forum that says, "buy it today with an ADM" you are basically throwing 5-10K out the window and you will NEVER see it again.

On the other hand, if you call around today you may be surprised (in a good way).

Like I said, you can always take the money and "throw it in the air" if you can't find anything.

Good Luck and please let us know what you do. I am curious at this point.

PS- You can buy an awful lot of gas for 5 k. Be patient.
my sentiments exactly. Thanks for reinforcing it.

Absoluteoy zero risk in doing a nationwide search. I actually did last night and found 2-3 that were at MSRP.

I will wait. At least a month maybe more. I don't want to spend over MSRP at all. It's a bad deal 100%.

i believe I'll find one at MSRP in time for the big Xmas surprise. 🤞🏼

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
The downside of out of state is the CA CVRP can't be applied (that's $2k or $4.5k depending on your income and I assume the OP qualifies since they mentioned it). There was also that other user who had damage/theft of his car while it was shipped. You also have to add in time to manage shipping it or flying out which I'd guess is maybe $500 at least or more? Add in taking time off work and driving back and charging along the way (guess one can use the free 250kWh).

As for gas and $5k, that last 1.66 years in CA if someone spends $300/month which isn't a stretch I don't think and I'd guess, a lot of folks who have to commute daily may spend more.

Gas prices won't go down much in CA I think we'd all agree (I still see $6-$7) and some places, hit near $8. At $400/month (about $100 a week), you're talking about 1 year of gas here. CA gas isn't Nebraska.

No one likes ADM, but if someone needs a car, some factors that are facts are 2023 prices are higher, if your income is too high, you're not getting the EV credit neither next year.

OP can just factor everything in their situation, but I'm not a fan of ADM/never since there are a lot of factors at play. Stating things will be better later just because is wrong I feel, especially when the 2023 prices are like $9k more already for the GTPE? Unless Ford can't sell them, I don't think they will cut prices since there is still a large population that are getting their first EV and Ford has constantly complained about costs of building these.

Gas is too much $$ in CA to ignore and there is a certain amount of freedom/power to simply never care what gas prices are. They can be $20/gallon and solar/EV folks won't bat an eye.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Teeg404

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e gt
Country flag
The downside of out of state is the CA CVRP can't be applied (that's $2k or $4.5k depending on your income and I assume the OP qualifies since they mentioned it). There was also that other user who had damage/theft of his car while it was shipped. You also have to add in time to manage shipping it or flying out which I'd guess is maybe $500 at least or more? Add in taking time off work and driving back and charging along the way (guess one can use the free 250kWh).

As for gas and $5k, that last 1.66 years in CA if someone spends $300/month which isn't a stretch I don't think and I'd guess, a lot of folks who have to commute daily may spend more.

Gas prices won't go down much in CA I think we'd all agree (I still see $6-$7) and some places, hit near $8. At $400/month (about $100 a week), you're talking about 1 year of gas here. CA gas isn't Nebraska.

No one likes ADM, but if someone needs a car, some factors that are facts are 2023 prices are higher, if your income is too high, you're not getting the EV credit neither next year.

OP can just factor everything in their situation, but I'm not a fan of ADM/never since there are a lot of factors at play. Stating things will be better later just because is wrong I feel, especially when the 2023 prices are like $9k more already for the GTPE? Unless Ford can't sell them, I don't think they will cut prices since there is still a large population that are getting their first EV and Ford has constantly complained about costs of building these.

Gas is too much $$ in CA to ignore and there is a certain amount of freedom/power to simply never care what gas prices are. They can be $20/gallon and solar/EV folks won't bat an eye.
Well said. So to clarify, if I purchase a vehicle out of the state of california it does not qualify for the state ($2k for my family) CVRP?

if there was GTPE edition locally with only a 5k markup I would buy it because as you stated the costs associated with fetching one from out of state or shipping one, plus i wouldn't get state CVRP. It's a wash if I find one locally with a 5k markup.

the market is inflated. I've talked to multiple dealers this morning who are selling used (pre registered, no tax incentives) vehicles for 5k over MSRP. I won't be the one holding the bag in 12-18 months when 23's are on lots at MSRP

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Goes to show people are still buying them and honestly, dealers won't/shouldn't care if "YOU" (or me or whoever on this forum) won't go for an ADM as long as someone else will. Just how it is. Doesn't matter what we think.

Similar to the stock market, the car market can be irrational longer than you/many people can wait.

Keep at it and eventually, you will probably find something that isn't as crazy as a $20k ADM, but that takes time/possibly $$ and effort. Some folks have more $$ than time as you showed in that letter.

Tesla also cut prices in China so maybe things are slowing down for some stuff at least.

A lot of us like to say, jokes on the dealer, no one is paying that, etc etc etc...but plenty of people are so we're just lying to ourselves if we think the dealers are hurting or no one is paying these prices.

Your email is in that screenshot so you might want to edit it.

OP
OP

Teeg404

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e gt
Country flag
Goes to show people are still buying them and honestly, dealers won't/shouldn't care if "YOU" (or me or whoever on this forum) won't go for an ADM as long as someone else will. Just how it is. Doesn't matter what we think.

Similar to the stock market, the car market can be irrational longer than you/many people can wait.

Keep at it and eventually, you will probably find something that isn't as crazy as a $20k ADM, but that takes time/possibly $$ and effort. Some folks have more $$ than time as you showed in that letter.

Tesla also cut prices in China so maybe things are slowing down for some stuff at least.

A lot of us like to say, jokes on the dealer, no one is paying that, etc etc etc...but plenty of people are so we're just lying to ourselves if we think the dealers are hurting or no one is paying these prices.

Your email is in that screenshot so you might want to edit it.
Irrational is exactly what it is, it's not sustainable.

thanks for the heads up

bean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model y
Country flag
Irrational is exactly what it is, it's not sustainable.

thanks for the heads up
The market is definitely cooling. Dealers that were asking $15K markup are now willing to sell with as little as 4-5K markup. Unfortunately, I was too late for one of them and the others were outside of California.

TheWalkingEye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 ID.4

Has your wife expressed interest specifically in the Mach-E? It’s a lot of money to spend on a surprise unless you have a LOT of expendable income. I caution you in choosing the surprise car for her and suggest a better path is to make the surprise an agreement to buy a new car for her. One that she wants and chooses herself. Of course you know your wife better than I do.

Also, I am firmly in the never pay ADM camp. It is throwing money in a fire.

NormF

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Mach-E GT, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My wife has a 2022 GT (non PE). Paid MSRP. Absolutely love this car. MSRP for a used car seems high. I am guessing prices will stabilize as Ford increases production.