Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
And my 2016 Toyota Rav4 hybrid with a 209 hp net (ice and electric) is rated to tow 1700 lbs. But a 340+ hp Mache can't tow that much? Explain that.
Sponsored

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Kudos to the OP for going for it... but it made me cringe a little to hear how deep he has discharged.

Since the MME is an 'SUV', I'd really hope that a receiver hitch is part of the inevitable 'U' in the future. Not having a hitch would be a deal-breaker for me, and I was astounded that towing was not blessed by Ford out of the box.

I put a hitch on, *mostly* for my bike rack..... but also occasional small utility trailering, and I gotta say the hitch bolts up to some super solid chassis rails. personally I am not worried about the MME handling the weight, towing, or stopping. A well loaded trailer has a 'little' tongue weight, which is a lot less than 2 passengers in the back seat and/or rear cargo bay full of stuff.

I will say that there will be pretty significant impact on range... and all the variables of elevation change with weight, speed, and aerodynamics. Trip planning/charging becomes much more of a challenge with 'average' consumption of 1.5-2kWhr/mi instead of 3+kWhr/mi.

at about 16:00 , OP talks about the hitch... and I was interested to see the 7-pin electrical. I am wondering exactly how that was done since there is no wiring harness built in, and the tail lights are LED, so I'm curious to know what lights are on the trailer that are ok ...

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
at about 16:00 , OP talks about the hitch... and I was interested to see the 7-pin electrical. I am wondering exactly how that was done since there is no wiring harness built in, and the tail lights are LED, so I'm curious to know what lights are on the trailer that are ok ...
I'm pretty sure 7 pin connectors do more than lights. Heavy trailers will have electric brakes taking the load off of the cars system.

I'll never ever haul anything so heavy that it'll need it's own braking system.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I'm pretty sure 7 pin connectors do more than lights. Heavy trailers will have electric brakes taking the load off of the cars system.

I'll never ever haul anything so heavy that it'll need it's own braking system.
I'd be amazed if they actually wired up the 7-pin aux power.... I'd bet they just used the 7-pin outlet since the trailer came with a 7-pin plug.

I'd only want/need 4-wire for my little utility trailer. I am thinking I may have to switch the trailer lights to LED to draw less power tho? I will be looking for anybody posting how to DIY the wiring, but I don't have time to even think about it for a while.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Ok I'm not proud of it, but it can be very practical:oops:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Towing with a Mach-E. 1F90D37A-F2B5-4614-A7D0-BABF3100F135
practical indeed!
how did you wire your trailer lights? 4-wire? did you use LED ?

mwsno

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 3
Country flag
Not going to lie, I'm not a fan of all the TFL guys. Spent more than 2 years watching you videos of various cars trying to make a decision (cars, trucks, EVs), and found these guys to be the worst of the reviewers.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
And my 2016 Toyota Rav4 hybrid with a 209 hp net (ice and electric) is rated to tow 1700 lbs. But a 340+ hp Mache can't tow that much? Explain that.
If horsepower were the only consideration, you could tow your car with your speedboat, ?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Horsepower? And you tow?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Yep. No trouble with 1500lb load.
You missed the point I was making, should have used a sarcasm font.

Horsepower isn't on the list of criteria for whether a vehicle can tow. You implied that the Mach-E should be able to tow more than your other vehicle based on horsepower. Pull? Yes, based on torque. Tow, with weight on a hitch? No.

Neilthepilot

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"22 MME Premium, Ram 1500, Wrangler, FR3
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
I'd be amazed if they actually wired up the 7-pin aux power.... I'd bet they just used the 7-pin outlet since the trailer came with a 7-pin plug.

I'd only want/need 4-wire for my little utility trailer. I am thinking I may have to switch the trailer lights to LED to draw less power tho? I will be looking for anybody posting how to DIY the wiring, but I don't have time to even think about it for a while.
Here is a kit for the wiring.
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring - Tekonsha (etrailer.com)

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag

FLmac

First Name
McKenna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 premium AWD SR space white
Occupation
RV Sales
Country flag
Too many times people focus on PULLING a trailer, and not STOPPING a trailer.

Again, the doorjamb sticker lists payload. You have to subtract any mods made to the vehicle (floor mats, crap you're carrying in it, the hitch itself). Then you subtract your weight and the weight of all passengers and any stuff they bring with them. Then, the remaining number is how much the trailer tongue can weigh.

Later today when my wife goes out I'll shoot a picture of my Mach-E's sticker.
Towing a trailer doesn’t effect your payload. The only towing situations that would effect payload would be if you tow a fifth wheel or decide to hitch the trailer to the roof of the car (which isn’t very likely, road legal or safe). Just FYI.
All that really matters is that Ford states you can’t tow with it.
Sponsored