Trunk opened on its own and hit the garage door... Come on Ford!!!

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
The problem with my garage door is I don’t have those fins to attach and pool noodles to. So I just pull in my garage all the way and I’m clear if the door. But if the door were to open or close with the hatch open the opener arm would jam against the door. I padded the arm to help, but it would still hit. I put up guide lines to test
My door is similar to yours and it was a bolt on a hinge that dug into my hatch. And it opened while the garage door was opening, just as you suggested could happen. Now that I have adjusted the height of the open hatch so it cannot reach the door, I might turn the kick sensor back on. It would be nice when my hands are full. I guess the reason I have not turned it back on is because I am worried about it opening unexpectedly in places besides my garage. Certainly the car wash would be a disaster, so you have to remember to turn off the kick sensor before handing it over to the car wash kids.
Sponsored

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag

Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus rx350, Toyota rav4
Country flag
I did two things:
1. I limited the door open height to 1 inch less than the garage door height.
2. i put a strip of 1/2 inch pipe insulation from Lowes on a couple of door hinges “just in case”. They cost less than $2 each for 6 feet and fit perfectly.

P.S. The foot sensor works perfectly for me almost every time, but my wife just cannot figure it out……
i think i kick straight in and she tries to swing side to side but anyway for me it works 99% of the time and hasn’t ever opened on its own.

C6679E50-6457-44B8-AE03-32C1A5CE3DD6.jpeg

Mjtee2

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White Premium; Rapid Red First Edition
Country flag
Of course damage to our Mach E’s, due to spontaneous opening of the liftgate, is a major issue but even more concerning is the potential for injury to humans. I have 2 1/2 year grandsons who would not necessarily know what was happening during a random opening and could be injured. So far, I am not having any luck with Ford formally addressing this safety issue both locally and from corporate in Michigan. I assume that legal action would follow any serious injury since Ford is now aware of this problem.

Note: The sensors are currently turned off in my cars.

TheDutchOne

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
My car is kept Pristine inside the garage. The garage door clearence to the back of the car is about 5 inches. I was working out using the TRX app on the phone near the car. The garage door was open during my workout. At some point I closed the grage door because my dog came in. After a while I looked and realized my trunk looked wedged open. It had opened on its own without me hitting any button. I can only speculate that since my phone was close to the car that when the garage door closed the sensor underneath the bumper picked up the movement and opened the trunk. Which I will turn off moving forward (and I like that feature). Just annoyed, I am sure someone can buff out these scratches but I just don't want to deal with it.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Trunk opened on its own and hit the garage door... Come on Ford!!! C6679E50-6457-44B8-AE03-32C1A5CE3DD6

TheDutchOne

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I have had this issue happening to me on 3-4 occasions now. Caused damage as well! As a matter of fact, it did it this evening again!! I have no idea why?

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
I have had this issue happening to me on 3-4 occasions now. Caused damage as well! As a matter of fact, it did it this evening again!! I have no idea why?
Hi there! Can you send us a PM with your VIN and Ford dealership information? I’d be happy to look into this Mach-E concern on my end.

Kanaz

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
My car is kept Pristine inside the garage. The garage door clearence to the back of the car is about 5 inches. I was working out using the TRX app on the phone near the car. The garage door was open during my workout. At some point I closed the grage door because my dog came in. After a while I looked and realized my trunk looked wedged open. It had opened on its own without me hitting any button. I can only speculate that since my phone was close to the car that when the garage door closed the sensor underneath the bumper picked up the movement and opened the trunk. Which I will turn off moving forward (and I like that feature). Just annoyed, I am sure someone can buff out these scratches but I just don't want to deal with it.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Trunk opened on its own and hit the garage door... Come on Ford!!! C6679E50-6457-44B8-AE03-32C1A5CE3DD6
Yup happened to me on my MME GT just shortly after I got it in Oct. put a nice ding in the truck because it was resting against the door about 5 inches and I opened the garage door and the damage was done. When I was on here, I tagged Ford. They responded with asking me my build week and VIN. Since then it hasn’t happened, but neither does my PAAK so I just carry the key

MTNestr

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue FE MME
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Maybe we all need to add some paint protection film in the area where these scratches are happening. Mine has only opened once by itself - luckily no damage.

Has any one had this happen away from home? I would hate to be at a mall when this happens.

MillieChliette

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTPE ordered
Country flag
Had this happen for the first time today. I was in the driveway playing with my kids. Picked up something to put away in the open garage and as I approached the rear hatch just... Opened. Saw the whole thing happen from about 15 feet away. No possible movement to set the sensor off. Nothing. Thankfully I have the height clearance to not have contact with the open garage door.

I like the feature and it works for me 99% of the time first try. Debating on disabling it now.

Joshw

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
I haven’t had my trunk open spontaneously. But I just had my 3rd incident. My garage has a metal hinge that created a 2 in gash right into the metal of the car. Zero chance of buffing out.

The 1st one was caused by my dog running under the kick sensor. I disabled the kick feature, which sucks because it’s a pretty handy feature.

The second incident was the dog again. I took the car in for the recall and apparently it set the kick sensor option back on. So please be check the setting every time you take it in for service.

The 3rd incident happened just now. 100% my fault. I was using the Ford App and my finger accidentally swiped on the trunk button. Usually you have to hold that down for a good while to work. But this time my luck ran dry. I sprung up from the couch as fast as I could, but the damage was already done.

My beautiful mustang looks like a lion took a mean swipe at it. These gouges are no joke.

I just ordered the foam padding as suggested earlier. I can’t believe I didn’t research this after the 1st moment of sadness. The foam is a brilliant idea. I just hope it does the trick.

I made an appointment with a body shop. There is no way to touch it up because the gouges are so deep.

But here is my main concern. This thing has so many sensors and cameras is supposed to drive itself. How can it not have a function to stop the stupid trunk if it’s going to hit something? I get the foam has a place in this world. But why on earth I have to deploy tactical shielding on my personal spaceship is beyond me. But not doing it is a tough price to pay, literally.

And I thought the Frunk was a stupid design. But that’s just an inconvenience at worst.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
I haven’t had my trunk open spontaneously. But I just had my 3rd incident. My garage has a metal hinge that created a 2 in gash right into the metal of the car. Zero chance of buffing out.

The 1st one was caused by my dog running under the kick sensor. I disabled the kick feature, which sucks because it’s a pretty handy feature.

The second incident was the dog again. I took the car in for the recall and apparently it set the kick sensor option back on. So please be check the setting every time you take it in for service.

The 3rd incident happened just now. 100% my fault. I was using the Ford App and my finger accidentally swiped on the trunk button. Usually you have to hold that down for a good while to work. But this time my luck ran dry. I sprung up from the couch as fast as I could, but the damage was already done.

My beautiful mustang looks like a lion took a mean swipe at it. These gouges are no joke.

I just ordered the foam padding as suggested earlier. I can’t believe I didn’t research this after the 1st moment of sadness. The foam is a brilliant idea. I just hope it does the trick.

I made an appointment with a body shop. There is no way to touch it up because the gouges are so deep.

But here is my main concern. This thing has so many sensors and cameras is supposed to drive itself. How can it not have a function to stop the stupid trunk if it’s going to hit something? I get the foam has a place in this world. But why on earth I have to deploy tactical shielding on my personal spaceship is beyond me. But not doing it is a tough price to pay, literally.

And I thought the Frunk was a stupid design. But that’s just an inconvenience at worst.
I have foam all over my door and hinges but this is one of my fears with having PAAK enabled.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag

Any reason why you have not set the hatch open height to below your garage door? I did that after I put a gash in my hatch.

Recently I covered the gash with black vinyl wrap and you can't see it anymore. You could do that as well. Here is a close up:

20220129_163641.jpg

Joshw

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
Any reason why you have not set the hatch open height to below your garage door? I did that after I put a gash in my hatch.

Recently I covered the gash with black vinyl wrap and you can't see it anymore. You could do that as well. Here is a close up:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Trunk opened on its own and hit the garage door... Come on Ford!!! 20220129_163641
Good question but the height is perfect and isn’t the issue. The problem os the trunk swings out a bit and hits the garage hinge half way.

I bought some foam and it seems to address the issue if the trunk opens by accident again.

here is a pic of the damage.

DF693541-16C6-4D96-BA4F-FE32C0737480.jpeg

skiingj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Today I went to plug in while in my garage with the door closed. Just as I neared the charge port the trunk opened on its own. I don't think there is any damage. I will take a better look when I go out in a few hours. Bummer. I wonder what is causing this. I hoped this is the first and last time.
Sponsored