First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e AWD std Black 22 model
Country flag
Hi,

Just dropped car at local dealer for 1st service (2 years 7000 miles total) and the dealer said car needed a Brake fluid change at £85 on top of the £269 cost of the service. Should this be included ?

Thanks
Sponsored

ack154

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E GT PE
Eh.... 2 years is on the early end of what I'd consider a regular interval. Most recommendations would be every few years (2-3 ish). But for a car that likely barely uses its brakes at all, I'd probably push that to at least 3-4 years.

OP
OP

richeze

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Eh.... 2 years is on the early end of what I'd consider a regular interval. Most recommendations would be every few years (2-3 ish). But for a car that likely barely uses its brakes at all, I'd probably push that to at least 3-4 years.
Thanks, for reply. They said the level was low. Not sure what they are doing for the money with the rest of the service.

ack154

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E GT PE
If it's just low fluid, you can pick up some at a parts store and add yourself. Your owners manual will tell you what type you need and there will be fill marks on the reservoir. But I would also find it strange that the fluid is even low - again, given that the car barely uses its brakes. Sounds more like it could be a scammy service station trying to get a few more £s for no work.

Can't speak to the rest of the service. From what I've seen here on the forum, in the US, at least, a typical service could be anywhere from $30-$100, depending on the dealer. There's obviously not a whole lot to service and the most important thing is typically just a tire rotation and an overall visual inspection of everything. But even seeing if the brake fluid was low would mean they had to pull the frunk cover parts - I'd be curious if they even did that.

Teslaeata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red one
Country flag
Hi,

Just dropped car at local dealer for 1st service (2 years 7000 miles total) and the dealer said car needed a Brake fluid change at £85 on top of the £269 cost of the service. Should this be included ?

Thanks
As a forensic vehicle examiner it’s always been a bug-bear that something that is necessary is not included in the routine service and the cost of a service even if it meant increasing its standard cost!!

If that’s what Ford recommend, and I think it is, I’d let them do it and pay for it. It’s worth it.

Don’t listen to anybody who advises against what the Manufacturer stipulates, minimise risk to safety and liabilities by having done what is necessary.

In terms or brake fluid, it has hygroscopic qualities so absorbs moisture from the atmosphere though reservoir breather, hoses, seals etc.

It’s recommended that brake fluid is changed to avoid lowering of its boiling point due to absorbed moisture content.

Believe me, as somebody who actually tests the boiling point of brake fluid regularly, it really is a “thing”.

The fluid in the whole system from reservoir to each brake wheel using should have new, fresh brake fluid bled through, not just topping up the reservoir.

What I would NEVER allow and pay for are the things Ford don’t recommend and dealers try to sell which are fancy pollen filters, air con antibac/disenfecant (WTF), all the other additives, cleaners etc etc etc that often can come to £hundreds.

Teslaeata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red one
Country flag
Noooooooooooo

Teslaeata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red one
Country flag
If it's just low fluid, you can pick up some at a parts store and add yourself. Your owners manual will tell you what type you need and there will be fill marks on the reservoir. But I would also find it strange that the fluid is even low - again, given that the car barely uses its brakes. Sounds more like it could be a scammy service station trying to get a few more £s for no work.

Can't speak to the rest of the service. From what I've seen here on the forum, in the US, at least, a typical service could be anywhere from $30-$100, depending on the dealer. There's obviously not a whole lot to service and the most important thing is typically just a tire rotation and an overall visual inspection of everything. But even seeing if the brake fluid was low would mean they had to pull the frunk cover parts - I'd be curious if they even did that.
Servicing is different Stateside, every 10,000 miles I heard so could be cheaper per service but more expensive in time as the UK is 2 years unlimited miles which for me is 60,000 miles so I could pay for 3 or 4 services in the US before my car needs servicing once though I do virtually full services in between as I don’t agree leaving a car 60,000 miles between inspections where most of the value of MMe inspections lie in my view.

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
perhaps the specs are different in UK, in US manual ford specifies to replace brake fluid every three years.

mainenance.png

su-ch+mache

First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ford-suv-freunde.com
Vehicles
Escape MY17, Puma MY20, Mach E MY22 AWD ER TP2
Occupation
retired buyer
Country flag
that looks strange, in Germany we have a 2 year inspection interval without any km limits.

But every 3 years brake fluid sounds really fair. the fluid absorbs moisture and then braking becomes dangerous if not changed.

Last edited:

milepost1

First Name
harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Carbonizied gray - FE
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Follow manufacturers manual for service. The Dealer is selling things to make money.

Hartland

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e AWD Extended
Occupation
Civil Servent
Country flag
I have to say I had my first service end of last year & the service was considerably less than £200 that included filter change & comprehensive vehicle report.

OP
OP

richeze

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Had the service done with the brake fluid change done. Just wish ford would be clear on pricing and what was included and wasn't.

It seems that the service pricing on the uk ford website are pricing when you go to a ford dealership that is owned by ford and not a franchised garage.
Sponsored