UK Customers

Tony.T

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota C-HR sadly gone, MME RWD ER now with us!
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I have been on the waiting list for 15 years since my son was 3 and offered a season ticket this season just as he goes to uni in Bristol ??‍♂??‍♂. Can always get a ticket as a member but not rushing back until this idiot goes.
Back on subject these reviews are really helpful and great to see them on uk roads. Got me excited for my test drive Saturday! Quick question to those who have had a test drive are they allowing passengers ie. 18 Yr old son?

When I booked (last week) I was told up to four people, and anyone wishing to drive must produce a full driving license and national insurance
Sponsored

Hotspur28

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E
Country flag
When I booked (last week) I was told up to four people, and anyone wishing to drive must produce a full driving license and national insurance
Great thanks I did not get told that perfect?. Have wound my son up and told him he can have a spin as well now ?

Andeh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1926 Chrysler 60, 1929 Austin 7, 1965 Ford Anglia
Country flag
Evans Halshaw had a minimum age of 28 to drive, not sure if that was set by them or Ford. Luckily my birthday was last month and I just scraped in...

SteveUk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache with crap keys
Country flag
I have been on the waiting list for 15 years since my son was 3 and offered a season ticket this season just as he goes to uni in Bristol ??‍♂??‍♂. Can always get a ticket as a member but not rushing back until this idiot goes.
Back on subject these reviews are really helpful and great to see them on uk roads. Got me excited for my test drive Saturday! Quick question to those who have had a test drive are they allowing passengers ie. 18 Yr old son?
Similar to the mache waiting time.

davkd

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Iconic Silver ER RWD
Country flag
Had my test drive today. One whole hour in a RWD ER in Absolute Black. What a motor!

The black is gorgeous (still happy with my choice of Iconic Silver though).

What can I say that hasn’t already been said?

Ambient Lighting - This was present on the AWD ER in the showroom but, sadly, not on my tester.

Sitting position - you do sit high up and it gives the feel of an SUV. I felt higher up than most other cars around me.

Build quality is excellent. Feels very classy. The panoramic roof is great! I also really liked the grey alloys.

Acceleration was way beyond my expectations.

Plenty of admiring looks.

One pedal driving took a few minutes to get used to but, once I did, I had it on all the time. Very impressive.

I’m so glad I got the chance to drive the car and am 100% convinced this is the best EV currently on the market.

Can’t wait for mine to arrive now, however, it’s slipped a week to 29/05.

Ford Mustang Mach-E UK Customers 19E5E78C-5571-4CDD-A2DB-4B87B2FE600F

Ford Mustang Mach-E UK Customers 6BFBF0C7-C672-40B9-82C0-C66B4CACE1EA

Ford Mustang Mach-E UK Customers 985BB143-8AD6-4722-9C9D-2582569CE4BA

Ford Mustang Mach-E UK Customers 23639698-7745-4CE4-8E69-B5C780516064

Ford Mustang Mach-E UK Customers 7073FB21-94A3-4C9F-BFFE-7D137754DA64

Ford Mustang Mach-E UK Customers 2C0E4119-8FB7-4F5D-90F3-AEE7488E0EC5

Ford Mustang Mach-E UK Customers 53E3F47E-E160-4E92-9CD4-B9F318162E94

Last edited:

davkd

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Iconic Silver ER RWD
Country flag
Forgot one of the most important snippets.

The Ford representative told me the Mach E is capable of fully autonomous driving.

He also said this will be released as an OTA Update and will be Free Of Charge!

Now, given Ford’s communication history, I’ll take this with a pinch of salt! ??

SteveUk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for posting and a great review.

Did you go to a different dealership to get that test drive?

Last edited:

Andeh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1926 Chrysler 60, 1929 Austin 7, 1965 Ford Anglia
Country flag
Forgot one of the most important snippets.

The Ford representative told me the Mach E is capable of fully autonomous driving.

He also said this will be released as an OTA Update and will be Free Of Charge!

Now, given Ford’s communication history, I’ll take this with a pinch of salt! ??
The same representative said the same thing to me... I wasn't convinced but he seemed dead set on it being true, "just waiting for the UK government to approve it" were his words.

We'll see!

davkd

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Iconic Silver ER RWD
Country flag
Thanks for posting and a great review.

That's certainly given me something to think about as we're with the same dealer and wasn't offered this car which is the exact model and colour I'm paying good money for. Instead I'm booked in for a SR version and part of the "tour". If it wasn't for the £3k I'd be thinking of taking my business elsewhere.

Very surprised and disappointed with them.
Hi Steve,

Sorry, it wasn’t with our dealer. I’m booked in for Monday, 19th for that one.

This was Evans Halshaw in Preston who still had a couple of slots left.

They appear to be running their test drives differently (although I don’t know why as they are meant to be ‘Ford Driven’ - Excuse the pun).

They did 1 hour, unaccompanied, drive anywhere you want, test drives.

I was hoping our dealer would do this then I could take it home and try it in the garage. ??

SteveUk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah I realised after I posted that, that it can't have been warrington! Cheers.

As far as I know, we get an hour and it's the SR version.

SteveUk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The same representative said the same thing to me... I wasn't convinced but he seemed dead set on it being true, "just waiting for the UK government to approve it" were his words.

We'll see!
I think it's unlikely to be free anyway!

Dudd

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Renault Zoe & Pre-ordered Mach E
Country flag
Slightly different topic. Our other vehicle is a Renault Zoe and yesterday we had an urgent family issue that necessitated a 300 mile round trip. The Zoe has a WLTP rating of something like 245 miles, but real world in slightly chilly weather at 65mph is more like 130 miles.

We have done longer trips in it before but this was our worst experience yet with the UK charging network. I'm pretty good at planning so generally we know where we will stop to charge, and I make sure I have backup options. In this case the planning was definitely needed.

• Stop 1a: Polar at Coldra Court Hotel. Approx 30miles range remaining. Charger accessed ok, and it appeared to be operational. No response on touch screen though, and no response to the app when the app tried to wake it up. Time to move to backup
  • Stop 1b: Polar across the road at a Holiday Inn. Someone pulled up in a Jag iPace right a couple mins before us and they only charge one car at a time
  • Stop 1c: Polar at Newport Holiday Inn express. Remaining charge 15 miles. It started charging then decided the car wasn't attached. We repositioned the car to ensure zero tension on the cable and it started working. 1 hour later we left with about 80% charge (Zoe starts charging pretty fast but tapers away quickly)
That little drama took about 90 minutes, but we had time and factor this kind of BS into our EV trips!

• Stop 2: After an out and back to deal with family business we stopped at the same place as stop 1c above to top-up for the return journey. All good, we were watching the charging station on the app as we approached so we could divert if it became occupied as we were inbound. We decided to pick up the journey speed to 70mph and factor in an additional stop. We had enough charge to make it all the way home if we wanted to do 60mph down the motorway.
All good on Stop 2.

• Stop 3: I was feeling tired, so decided to stop for a cat nap. In an EV we don't like stopping unless we are charging so thought we'd try an expensive Ecotricity stop for 10-15 mins. After 20 minutes getting setup on the app and getting stuck in a loop with the charging stations (there were two and neither worked) we decided to get back in the car and carry on. So much for the "Electric Highway" that Ecotricity call themselves!!
  • Stop 4: We paused for the Polar station at Exeter Racecourse. This was on route and worked just fine but is only open when the racecourse car park is open, so no good for out of hours emergencies. 10 minutes here gave us enough juice to test the speed limit a couple of times on the final leg :)

We choose and occasionally subscribe to Polar because the rate is reasonable, so use them first and consider all other stations backup options.

We didn't find all this particularly stressful because we factored in the extra journey and charging time and had backup options ready to go. A long EV journey is an awful lot more complicated than a journey in an ICE vehicle, but I imagine most here know that.

In conclusion (nothing new here!!) the UK charging infrastructure has a long way to go and we need a lot more multi-car charging sites, with charging points in every car park and 100% reliable charging points with a support network before EV usage can become anywhere near mainstream. It's going to be a painful few years before we get there.....
This sorry tale just got worse. I made a rooky error. Turns out we missed a parking notice in the Newport Holiday Inn Express car park and have just received a £60 fine. Empty car park, no barrier, no signage by the chargepoint that I recall seeing, and nobody from the hotel (looked closed) thought to pop out and tell the only moving thing in the car park that they should register on the machine in the lobby.

We stopped there on the way back too, so I expect this to be 2 x £60 fines by the time the day is out!!

To be honest I'm more disappointed by the fact that the BP Pulse app didn't tell us that we should pop into the hotel and deal with the private parking.

The end result is that I've just wasted 5 minutes of my time lobbying my MP because I think chargers should be more regulated. With so many on private land this is going to turn into a cash cow for dodgy parking companies as it's easy to miss and you get the fine 2 weeks later when you are 150 miles away.....

So, our expensive electric car (Renault Zoe while we wait for the Mustang) has turned out to cost us about £130 on a trip that would have cost £50 in a petrol car.....

Of course, a retrospective look on Zap Map shows lots of comments about the parking charge. We were trying to stick to BP Pulse as members so didn't look at Zap Map, we just used the BP Pulse app!! #minefield

I think I'm done throwing my toys out the pram now. This was my mistake, but the charging networks and their locations shouldn't make this so hard. I've never been hit with a parking fine for filling my car up with petrol......
Sponsored

Last edited: