Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
In the UK I understand that it is necessary to have an order in place and an indication of delivery before arranging for an installation that qualifies for a grant. I just hope that more information is available when it comes to place an order for the car. As with all things it would be good to have this information now as options could be considered.

I realise some pre-bookers will already have BEV’s and charging solutions in place. I would be interested in the thoughts of others.

Clearly my post does not have the excitement of a test drive or build date! I am making do with slightly more prosaic issues.
So you're right - basically to apply for the OLEV grant for a home charging point you have to prove that you have a vehicle that qualifies (ie a PHEV or BEV). This means you need the VIN or the registration document for the new vehicle. This is normally all handled by the supplier who will just send you a list of requirements that you need to give the info for before the order for the charge point is handled.

I've attached the prerequisites list from my BP Chargemaster install I had done a couple of years ago for my current car. Hope this helps.
Sponsored

Attachments

PaulD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Jaguar XK, Peugeot Bipper Tepee
Occupation
Semi retired management consultant
Country flag
The MME comes with a Ford Variopower lead which will have a 3 pin plug for normal 16 amp sockets and a 3 pin commando plug to fit a 32 amp commando socket. This is the charging solution that I am going for in my new stable. £32 for socket and the cost of 15 metres 6mm twin &earth cable and 40amp fuse. Job done (or will be soon) for a fraction of the cost of a wall box even after grant. My local dealer (who I cant buy the MME from) has a wall box in his showroom that he had to buy from Ford to display. I would imagine your dealer should have one too. They are not specific to MME.
[/QUOTE

Interesting that you are proposing to use a commando socket in lieu of a EVSE.

I appreciate that the MME and some other cars control the charging management (timing, % and period. I am therefore not clear what a dedicated charger app might add to charging control and information. Clearly some can monitor and manage load on the house power and shed load should this be necessary.

I am also aware that if a car is ever to be charged outside then it either requires an earth rod installed or magic internal device (unicorn device) to protect against electric shock following the loss of the loss of the protective earth and neutral (PEN) conductor in a TN-C-S earthed electrical system isolating the car if there is any indication of a fault.

As well as the normal protection against over current and the RCD protection.

How does this get dealt with in your situation or are you only ever intending to charge in your garage.

I will potentially charge inside and outside.

I have no electrical training so my information is all web and utube gleaned!

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
Interesting that you are proposing to use a commando socket in lieu of a EVSE.
I must admit when @portlandg first said about using a commando socket rather than an EVSE I was a bit concerned, but didn't want to butt in as I was sure he had his reasons.... and actually after investigating further yes he did have some very valid reasons.

The Mach-E is unique in that the home plug charger that comes with the vehicle has two different fly lead plugs that can be interchanged (the reason it's called a Varicharger I guess) one standard 3 pin plug, and one commando style plug. So you are getting the convenience of not having to install an EVSE, but getting the improved charging speeds from a standard plug in charger cable if you have a 32A commando socket installed.

It's clever, and all the chit chat and negotiation that goes on between a vehicle and an EVSE is actually handled by the Varicharger unit.

For some detail over what an EVSE actually does (and doesn't), and what it brings to the party - this guy's video was really informative....

PaulD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I'm just popping in to add another wrinkle to the question of what EVSE Ford will market for the UK.

I noticed that at the end of the "Remote Vehicle Setup" interview in the FordPass app, there appear to be a few marketing placeholders. Nothing happens when I tap them, and there's nearly no information shown, which is why I'm assuming they are placeholders.

One of them is a picture of this charger:
https://charging.webasto.com/int/products/webasto-pure/

We know, at least according to a Webasto employee who used to be active on this forum (quite a long time ago now), that the two Ford-branded EVSEs marketed for North America are being supplied/built by Webasto.

So perhaps the Webasto Pure is or will be the basis of one of Ford's offerings for Europe? (It's a Type 2 offering, compatible with European standards but not N.A.) There's also "Webasto Live" which is the "smart" version of same.
That is interesting. Certainly Webasto is a significant German manufacturer and I could imagine being a player for Ford in mainland Europe. They do not have such presence in the UK which maybe why they are referring to the Elvi charger here.

PaulD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I must admit when @portlandg first said about using a commando socket rather than an EVSE I was a bit concerned, but didn't want to butt in as I was sure he had his reasons.... and actually after investigating further yes he did have some very valid reasons.

The Mach-E is unique in that the home plug charger that comes with the vehicle has two different fly lead plugs that can be interchanged (the reason it's called a Varicharger I guess) one standard 3 pin plug, and one commando style plug. So you are getting the convenience of not having to install an EVSE, but getting the improved charging speeds from a standard plug in charger cable if you have a 32A commando socket installed.

It's clever, and all the chit chat and negotiation that goes on between a vehicle and an EVSE is actually handled by the Varicharger unit.

For some detail over what an EVSE actually does (and doesn't), and what it brings to the party - this guy's video was really informative....

Thanks for the grant information.
I did understand that the varicharger was able to provide similar charging speed to a EVSE and was therefore a significant improvement over a domestic outlet. I did kind of feel that it was more designed to suit the US market and there electrical systems than ours So had not really considered it. I also did not understand how it could address the potential PEN fault outlined previously.

SashaLondon

First Name
Sasha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD SR
Country flag
I was going to go for the pod-point. Someone said you get an account for the public chargers.

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
Thanks for the grant information.
I did understand that the varicharger was able to provide similar charging speed to a EVSE and was therefore a significant improvement over a domestic outlet. I did kind of feel that it was more designed to suit the US market and there electrical systems than ours So had not really considered it. I also did not understand how it could address the potential PEN fault outlined previously.
Soz - I do sometimes mansplain - it so difficult as some people on here really know their stuff, and others are just starting out. It's difficult to gauge where to aim the response sometimes.

So as far as the PEN fault thing goes - I had never even considered this as a thing. I've just been reading up about it on the web link you provided and it's an odd scenario that I would have thought would be covered by the RCD in a home distribution board. Any excess flow to N through an Earthing fault would be detected and the supply isolated automatically. I'm not a qualified professional, but I'm no novice either in this area - seems like they are just trying to push a unique selling point of their EVSE's.

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
I was going to go for the pod-point. Someone said you get an account for the public chargers.
Pod Point accounts are free - you can download the app and then use all their free to use sites without shelling out a penny or getting their home charger. If you want to use one of their sites that costs, you just supply credit card details in the app.

Ford Mustang Mach-E UK Customers IMG_4376

PaulD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Soz - I do sometimes mansplain - it so difficult as some people on here really know their stuff, and others are just starting out. It's difficult to gauge where to aim the response sometimes.

So as far as the PEN fault thing goes - I had never even considered this as a thing. I've just been reading up about it on the web link you provided and it's an odd scenario that I would have thought would be covered by the RCD in a home distribution board. Any excess flow to N through an Earthing fault would be detected and the supply isolated automatically. I'm not a qualified professional, but I'm no novice either in this area - seems like they are just trying to push a unique selling point of their EVSE's.

No need to apologise I will take all the help I can get.
Regarding the earthing and protection. If I have difficulty in sleeping I watch utube videos by John Ward. They are not everyones cup of tea but I really believe he knows what he is talking about.
Ford Mustang Mach-E UK Customers 6231DDFF-40C8-4319-915C-C89361C4CC86

Stay with it. 38 minutes !! You might want to hear it or you might not!

SashaLondon

First Name
Sasha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD SR
Country flag
Pod Point accounts are free - you can download the app and then use all their free to use sites without shelling out a penny or getting their home charger. If you want to use one of their sites that costs, you just supply credit card details in the app.

Thanks

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
No need to apologise I will take all the help I can get.
Regarding the earthing and protection. If I have difficulty in sleeping I watch utube videos by John Ward. They are not everyones cup of tea but I really believe he knows what he is talking about.

Stay with it. 38 minutes !! You might want to hear it or you might not!
I'll give that a watch. ? Does it come with a Crimewatch style caveat of "Please don't have nightmares" LOL

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Actually the MME is not unique. Tesla owners can buy the commando plug adapter to fit into their version of the variopwer lead. The difference is that the MME comes with both 3 pin and commando. Tesla only comes with 3 pin you have to purchase the commando.( I think anyway)

Mjsd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford edge
Country flag
Excuse me for some vague UK parochial deliberation. I am starting to consider EVSE home charging solutions in anticipation.

I would be interested in the view of others.

Since the MME reveal Ford have been talking about and promoting in publicity material a Ford home charging solution called the connected home charger. Inferring that it might provide some additional or improved facility over other similar chargers. Also that it was universally available not US specific and it’s purchase and installation could be arranged through Ford.

A couple of points:
It would appear that the charger is not currently available even in the US.
I have seen no specification data for the charger nor confirmation that it will be available outside the US. It does have higher power capacity than is typical in the UK.
Ford have some tie up in the UK with Centrica, a utility company, in other European counties different utility companies. However I can find no detail on this, whether it is installation only, supply and installation or whether it is tied to some electricity supply tariff.

Interestingly on the Ford UK price list it lists the following EVSE as an option inferring that this is their recommendation and there would be no Ford Charger. No mention of installation. This would lead one to assume that there is no UK Ford charger.

Electrification EVBox* Elvi Wall Box, polar white Elvi Pole 2450629 2443735 £797.42 £488.00

I am not precious about the type of charger, other than it being reliable, quiet, and smart in both senses of the word. (Any recommendations)

In the UK I understand that it is necessary to have an order in place and an indication of delivery before arranging for an installation that qualifies for a grant. I just hope that more information is available when it comes to place an order for the car. As with all things it would be good to have this information now as options could be considered.

I realise some pre-bookers will already have BEV’s and charging solutions in place. I would be interested in the thoughts of others.

Clearly my post does not have the excitement of a test drive or build date! I am making do with slightly more prosaic issues.
Depends what you want.
I ordered Pod point 10 days ago.
Andersen is a good one but a bit expensive.
For cheap one you can get Chargemaster second hand for 150£ ( simple but do the job)
I ordered Pod point because have all futures which I need and is a relatively good price.
For OLEV grant you need to have a order and delivery date.

SashaLondon

First Name
Sasha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD SR
Country flag
Depends what you want.
I ordered Pod point 10 days ago.
Andersen is a good one but a bit expensive.
For cheap one you can get Chargemaster second hand for 150£ ( simple but do the job)
I ordered Pod point because have all futures which I need and is a relatively good price.
For OLEV grant you need to have a order and delivery date.
Do you have a delivery date?