Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
While on the subject of the old Ecotricity chargers… here‘s a couple to avoid at all costs until they get replaced:

- Birchanger Services - M11 Stansted Airport
- South Mimms Services - M25 / A1 junction

Had the pleasure of trying both of these out at the end of last week and both sets were completely knackered.

My recommendation, if you are close to Stansted Airport and need a charge - visit GridServe Braintree instead!
Sponsored

OP
OP
BlackheathDiggs

BlackheathDiggs

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD ER (Black)
Country flag
While on the subject of the old Ecotricity chargers… here‘s a couple to avoid at all costs until they get replaced:

- Birchanger Services - M11 Stansted Airport
- South Mimms Services - M25 / A1 junction

Had the pleasure of trying both of these out at the end of last week and both sets were completely knackered.

My recommendation, if you are close to Stansted Airport and need a charge - visit GridServe Braintree instead!
They seem to roughly halfway through the entire network upgrade, but might be a push to complete it all by the end of September, which was their target. Hopefully these units are replaced soon as they must be popular charging spots.

We’re also still awaiting the software updates on the new chargers that will allow two cars charging on each, compared to only one at present. Hope that happens soon!

mach-e-2021

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Mach-E AWD SR
Occupation
Telecoms Engineer
Country flag
I had a poor experience at Scotch Corner on the A1 over the weekend. Brand new Ecotricity commissioned the week before, both non functional as not accepting contactless. Called up the helpdesk and they said they couldn't start them remotely. Ended up charging on 3KW/h at my Dad's for the 2 hours I was there.
Had a nice drive up the A68 and once back in Scotland utilized the brilliant Charge Place Scotland charger at Jedburgh which is 50Kw/h and free.
My experience of driving from Central Scotland to Portsmouth and back was stressful and glad that 95% of my charging will usually be done at home. To me England seems way behind Scotland in infrastructure, really hope this gets sorted out. Zap Map is ok, the inbuilt charger section of the Ford Sat Nav doesnt seem great, mostly pointing to hotels etc vs Motorway services.
Bets experience on my trip was M6 J1 Rugby services, first proper 115Kw/h charge, really did get the 10-80% in 30 ish mins...... the way it should be.

Saltire

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
Daft question but with the ER able to take 150KW does that mean we can use Tesla chargers that operate at that power?
I know that you need to get an adaptor but with the adaptor does that make it a possibility?

OP
OP
BlackheathDiggs

BlackheathDiggs

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD ER (Black)
Country flag
Daft question but with the ER able to take 150KW does that mean we can use Tesla chargers that operate at that power?
I know that you need to get an adaptor but with the adaptor does that make it a possibility?
For the moment, the answer is no - Tesla chargers will only recognise Tesla cars and give them power. This is set to change following Elon Musk’s announcement that they are going to open up the network to non-Teslas. When that happens, you would be able to use the CCS plug now available on all Tesla Superchargers (which the Model 3 uses) and get up to 150kW of charge speed.

It seems likely that the access to the network will be controlled by an app, which will sort payment of charge etc.

I’m worried though that the cables on the Tesla Superchargers are too short to reach to the charging port on the Mach E. So this might not be that helpful for us!

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
Can anyone either confirm or deny - GeniePoint chargers just don’t work with Mach-E’s

We have quite a few round here at various Morrisons stores and every single one starts off fine, but errors out after about 90seconds.

It’s like there’s some sort of software incompatibility - but I can’t recall anyone else saying this (or I’ve forgotten about it)

Anyone care to comment?

Mjsd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford edge
Country flag
Can anyone either confirm or deny - GeniePoint chargers just don’t work with Mach-E’s

We have quite a few round here at various Morrisons stores and every single one starts off fine, but errors out after about 90seconds.

It’s like there’s some sort of software incompatibility - but I can’t recall anyone else saying this (or I’ve forgotten about it)

Anyone care to comment?
I use ones only for 18kw top up.
No problem at all

Smuddell

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Renault Megane E Tech Launch Edition
Country flag

Anyone care to comment?
I haven't tried our local Morrisons Geniepoint because ZapMap has so many negative comments about it, and there are two reliable Instavolt chargers about 2 minutes drive away! Most of the comments are around charge stopping after a minute or so, charger being completely down, or not charging anywhere near 50kW.

ProximusAl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E - SR-AWD - Star White
Country flag

Anyone care to comment?
I used a GeniePoint when I popped over to Chepstow and it worked fine for me.

It’s actually the only public charging point I’ve used so far.

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
BP Pulse have announced they are increasing their prices from 1st December 2021…

This has been sent to subscribers today, I’m sure this will also impact the Ford BlueOval Charging Network pricing too….

“As significant rises in the wholesale costs of electricity are making news around the world, these increased costs naturally have a big impact on the amount we pay for the electricity used in the UK when you charge on our public network.

We've always worked hard to keep the cost of charging as low as possible, and we have been cheaper than many of our competitors for some time.

We are now no longer able to absorb the rising costs and so from the 1st December 2021, bp pulse will be making some changes to the pricing tariff for our public charging network. Please see the full table below for the new costs. To charge an EV from a bp pulse charging point will still cost as little as £0.28p/kWh for our subscribers.

We continue to invest millions of pounds in EV charging across the UK, and we now have more capacity in kWhs on our network than any other charging company. Our charging location in Hammersmith is the most used charging site in the whole of the UK and has delivered almost three-quarters of a million kWhs in 2021.

We know that we’re far from perfect, and that not every customer experience in 2021 has met the standard that we want and that you rightly expect. But we’re working hard to improve this, and in the last few months we’ve doubled the size of our contact centre, tripled the size of our field teams and we're investing millions of pounds in new technology to improve our reliability.

We have 600 people here in Milton Keynes working night and day to deliver EV charging for the UK and for all of you. Thank you for being a bp pulse customer.

Kind regards,
Mark Bloxham

Network Lead
bp pulse UK”

Ford Mustang Mach-E UK Mach E Public Charging Wiki 7CF67A0D-AF92-4143-AA1A-85E5EB8F7BD4

OP
OP
BlackheathDiggs

BlackheathDiggs

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD ER (Black)
Country flag
BP Pulse have announced they are increasing their prices from 1st December 2021…

This has been sent to subscribers today, I’m sure this will also impact the Ford BlueOval Charging Network pricing too….

“As significant rises in the wholesale costs of electricity are making news around the world, these increased costs naturally have a big impact on the amount we pay for the electricity used in the UK when you charge on our public network.

We've always worked hard to keep the cost of charging as low as possible, and we have been cheaper than many of our competitors for some time.

We are now no longer able to absorb the rising costs and so from the 1st December 2021, bp pulse will be making some changes to the pricing tariff for our public charging network. Please see the full table below for the new costs. To charge an EV from a bp pulse charging point will still cost as little as £0.28p/kWh for our subscribers.

We continue to invest millions of pounds in EV charging across the UK, and we now have more capacity in kWhs on our network than any other charging company. Our charging location in Hammersmith is the most used charging site in the whole of the UK and has delivered almost three-quarters of a million kWhs in 2021.

We know that we’re far from perfect, and that not every customer experience in 2021 has met the standard that we want and that you rightly expect. But we’re working hard to improve this, and in the last few months we’ve doubled the size of our contact centre, tripled the size of our field teams and we're investing millions of pounds in new technology to improve our reliability.

We have 600 people here in Milton Keynes working night and day to deliver EV charging for the UK and for all of you. Thank you for being a bp pulse customer.

Kind regards,
Mark Bloxham

Network Lead
bp pulse UK”

Ford Mustang Mach-E UK Mach E Public Charging Wiki 7CF67A0D-AF92-4143-AA1A-85E5EB8F7BD4
The question is - will they put prices down when wholesale prices fall - doubt it!!

coolshades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XF -> Mach E AWD ER, Rapid Red
Country flag
Question- are Ionity the only ones with 150kw chargers for our Mustangs?

OP
OP
BlackheathDiggs

BlackheathDiggs

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD ER (Black)
Country flag
Question- are Ionity the only ones with 150kw chargers for our Mustangs?
I may have misunderstood your question - but there are quite a few networks with 150kW chargers (e.g. Gridserve, Instavolt, MFG) that Mustangs can use, but only some are on FordPass (e.g. BP, Ionity, Shell).

I used a 350kW charger (Gridserve) at Rugby Services and the speed briefly peaked at 159kW going into the Mustang.

coolshades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XF -> Mach E AWD ER, Rapid Red
Country flag
I may have misunderstood your question - but there are quite a few networks with 150kW chargers (e.g. Gridserve, Instavolt, MFG) that Mustangs can use, but only some are on FordPass (e.g. BP, Ionity, Shell).

I used a 350kW charger (Gridserve) at Rugby Services and the speed briefly peaked at 159kW going into the Mustang.
Yeah, I should have specified on Ford Pass!

Applecross

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, SR RWD
Country flag
InstaVolt issues statement in response to unprecedented rise in wholesale energy prices

• InstaVolt announces increase in pricing from 40p/kWh to 45p/kWh, effective from 1 December 2021
Sponsored