[Update made it home] Stranded. PaaK and password wiped: "All Phone As A Key access and Backup Start Passcodes were removed..."

amoo3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Ex4
Country flag
Begin update —
After speaking with the dealer I bought the car from and FordPass guides, I confirmed the backup code was not reset despite the message, and was told only a master reset initiated on the vehicle could wipe the backup code. Not super confidence inspiring considering the message in the FordPass app but we were not able to get the fob overnighted and decided to proceed at risk from Boston to DC area with just the backup code. We made it. Lots of unanswered questions still in this thread but the immediate concern of getting home was mitigated via the backup code.

lesson learned; wife’s skepticism of new tech is well founded. Next time listen and bring the fob.
End update —

I got a message late yesterday saying “All Phone As A Key access and Backup Start Passcodes were removed from [ (2021 Mustang Mach-E)] due to Master Vehicle Reset. A vehicle key fob is required for operation.”

I happen to be road tripping and did not bring the FOB with me since I figured with the phone and with the backup passcode that’s two methods to start the car.

Last night after getting the message my PaaK did stop working but I was still able to start via passcode. I have two days left in my road trip so parked it at the nearest Ford dealership overnight and heading there soon to see what we can do.
Anyone had this problem? Is there any way to get back on the road without a fob?

Ford Mustang Mach-E [Update made it home] Stranded. PaaK and password wiped: "All Phone As A Key access and Backup Start Passcodes were removed..." 74B3FC75-CA25-4172-8F82-889F31BC0079
Sponsored

Last edited:

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
I would really like if Ford would stop advertising PaaK. Sure they can work on it but PaaK is not prime time ready.

Pibbman

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Not gonna lie. I am one of those guys here who is completely fine with just relying on my PaaK but this may have just been the ticket to make sure i definitely bring my fob if I go on a long trip.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Not gonna lie. I am one of those guys here who is completely fine with just relying on my PaaK but this may have just been the ticket to make sure i definitely bring my fob if I go on a long trip.
I use PaaK for my commute and other around town errands, but I agree. I'm not sure I would want to rely on it for any longer trip, especially with reports like this.

Hopefully you (OP) can have something done at that dealership. I'm not sure what options they have without a programmed keyfob.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
The real question here is: where did the master reset come from?

That is something that you should only be able to do when sitting in the car with the fob. Did an OTA cause that? If so they need to re-think OTA's!

OP
OP

amoo3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Ex4
Country flag
Update: the dealers here (Boston) all seem to not know how to add a new fob and believe that you need a fob to program a new fob.
The passcode continues to work but the dealer advised that I’m working on borrowed time and after a certain (unknown) passcode starts it will look for a key or lock you out.
Best course of action seems to be having someone overnight the fob to me and extending my trip by a day.

OP
OP

amoo3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Ex4
Country flag
No action was done on my end to initiate any updates fwiw.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Update: the dealers here (Boston) all seem to not know how to add a new fob and believe that you need a fob to program a new fob.
The passcode continues to work but the dealer advised that I’m working on borrowed time and after a certain (unknown) passcode starts it will look for a key or lock you out.
Best course of action seems to be having someone overnight the fob to me and extending my trip by a day.
This brings up the question of what happens when the single keyfob supplied at delivery is lost/stolen/damaged-beyond-repair? There must be some way to program a new fob without an existing?

Honda_Insight

First Name
Dwight
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E +2000 Honda Insight
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I got the same reset message last night. I certainly didn't request the master reset and was not even in the car yesterday! Just woke up and saw the message, so don't know what the effect will be. I am planning a 1 week road trip starting Sunday, so I'm very glad this happened before I left! I DON'T LIKE FORD DOING A MASTER RESET WITH NO PRIOR NOTIFICATION!!!

Last edited:

Benny’66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1966 Mustang, 2021 Mach E GTPE
Occupation
Plant Manager
Country flag
Fortunately you are at a Ford dealer and not in some really remote location like the Grand Canyon. Sheesh. The dealer needs to reach out to Ford or another (more knowledgeable) service department on the steps to program a new FOB!

Last edited:

Honda_Insight

First Name
Dwight
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E +2000 Honda Insight
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
OK, just checked out my MME after getting the master reset message. PaaK indeed is not working, but the good news is: My custom entry door code is still working and my custom backup start code still works. My personal profile is still in the car, apparently the "Master Reset" removes PaaK access, but does not reset personal profiles.

OP
OP

amoo3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Ex4
Country flag
OK, just checked out my MME after getting the master reset message. PaaK indeed is not working, but the good news is: My custom entry door code is still working and my custom backup start code still works. My personal profile is still in the car, apparently the "Master Reset" removes PaaK access, but does not reset personal profiles.
According to the (not super knowledgeable) dealer I spoke to, this is a ticking clock and may stop working at any moment.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag

That is something that you should only be able to do when sitting in the car with the fob. Did an OTA cause that? If so they need to re-think OTA's!
I keep a fob in a faraday bag because I’m paranoid. And this proves that just because you’re paranoid, doesn’t mean they’re not out to get you.

NoVAguy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag

I wonder if this Master Reset getting pushed to some MME's is somehow tied to some of the issues I and others have been experiencing the past few days where our doors have stopped auto unlocking when walking up to the vehicle (https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...s-is-new-and-different-from-the-old-ssm.7729/)

My PAAK and door code were also removed, but I still had my backup code and was able to get into the vehicle by unlocking via FordPass app.

There's been a number of issues the past few days and they all seem pretty odd.
Sponsored