Update on Mach-E launch progress from engineering friends in Mexico

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Actually, I should have used Laredo, TX as the entry border station for the train and that’s about a 675 mile trip North from the Ford plant.

I have read that the train still has to come to a complete stop on the bridge across the Rio Grande and a crew swap made from the Mexican crew to a US crew before proceeding on.

There are on- going negotiations to have the working crew just continue across the border until the next stop and then make the crew change as is done on Canadian border crossings.

I flew International Routes for an Airline for over 30 years before I retired. Sure am glad we didn’t have to make a crew change, as we say crossed the Chinese border going into Shanghai. :)
Second generation international airline pilot here. My dad flew the first 747 into one of China’s provinces. They had to stop and pick up a Chinese crew before entering Chinese airspace. Maybe 1973?

And here I thought dealing with QFE meters was bad enough.

Back on topic ... let the train drivers take it to the layover stop. :)
Sponsored

OP
OP
trutolife27

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
That's consistent with my calculations: at 256/day, 6 day work weeks, 1,536/week, 12,288 but the end of the year.

Thanks!
The first couple of weeks of the launch the line will be running slower. A lot of extra quality control checking on the line going on and variance jobs. Depending on parts also. Ford switched to Just in time parts years ago to save money, and not have excess stock laying around for no need. This does put time constraint on suppliers. I have been through many launches myself with ford, and trust me the first weeks are very hectic and busy. That is why he is saying 10,000 is more likely. The vehicles will come here by rail also.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The first couple of weeks of the launch the line will be running slower. A lot of extra quality control checking on the line going on and variance jobs. Depending on parts also. Ford switched to Just in time parts years ago to save money, and not have excess stock laying around for no need. This does put time constraint on suppliers. I have been through many launches myself with ford, and trust me the first weeks are very hectic and busy. That is why he is saying 10,000 is more likely. The vehicles will come here by rail also.
Yep. No surprise there. Thanks

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yep. No surprise there. Thanks
And don't forget COVID. Each time an employee tests positive there's the risk of shutting down for a day or more for another super-sanitize day.

I also wonder about the impact of working in facemasks. Sitting at a desk is no big deal, but doing a physical tasks can get hot and sweaty under those masks. Might need more breaks.

OP
OP
trutolife27

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
And don't forget COVID. Each time an employee tests positive there's the risk of shutting down for a day or more for another super-sanitize day.

I also wonder about the impact of working in facemasks. Sitting a a desk or something in no big deal, but doing a physical tasks can get hot and sweaty under those masks. Might need more breaks.
Deal with it everyday now working at ford. Hot and no fun. But as far as closing down for the whole day to clean. That playbook has sailed. They shut down the area do a quick deep clean and line is back up and running.

Tsand4

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 1st Ed -rec'd 1/27/21, '14 Fusion Hybrid SE
Country flag
Well, that pretty well cinches it. First Edition buyers will most likely test drive their own cars.
If that's the case, which is looking most likely, I will let you know how it goes. I'm hoping to spend my Black Friday at my Ford dealer picking up my FE.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Update on Mach-E launch progress from engineering friends in Mexico christmas-story-movie-1983-8

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I found this video enormously helpful in understanding 1 vs 2 vs 3 phase electricity as well as U.S vs. UK power configuration.

The U.S standard of 120/240 VAC can vary according to your distance from the final transformer. My utility service is buried, and the transformer sits at a concrete pedestal only thirty feet across the street from my home and meter. I measured and I get up to 126 VAC on any feeder and up to 252 VAC across both feeds. That is superb for me because P = E X I, so my appliances (especially the motorized) get the power they need with a lower current. I measured my water heater current (attached to a 40 A circuit), and it only needs 22 A at 252 VAC to heat my water. Anyway the meter always measures in kWh, so it is still the same cost.

I wonder if that higher voltage allows my Level 2 EVSE to charge a future EV a bit faster.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
yes, it will charge a tiny bit faster.

OP
OP
trutolife27

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So dealers are suppose to within the next to weeks put in the order for their fctp Mache. They are still in PP build phase at the plant and will start building the fctp by end of month.

He told me they are about two weeks behind but catching up. Final calls this week from dealers, last chance to turn reservations into orders.

No problems with the builds in pp phase no water leaks all test came back fine and perception robots are working.

Getting in the new amount of batteries needed seems to be the main concern at this time.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
So dealers are suppose to within the next to weeks put in the order for their fctp Mache. They are still in PP build phase at the plant and will start building the fctp by end of month.

He told me they are about two weeks behind but catching up. Final calls this week from dealers, last chance to turn reservations into orders.

No problems with the builds in pp phase no water leaks all test came back fine and perception robots are working.

Getting in the new amount of batteries needed seems to be the main concern at this time.
I love it. You're getting even better intel from your source in Cuautitlan than I am from mine. I'm especially happy to hear that the builds are going so well.

LandSpeed

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Select IB
Country flag
No -- to get the 48A charging (the fastest at-home rate supported by Mach-E), you need:
  • Ford Connected Charge Station (MSRP $799), or equivalent 48A charger from third party
  • hard-wired circuit rated for 60A
  • electrician will be needed to complete the installation of the charger and circuit
Why do need 60A if the most it draws is 48A?

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Why do need 60A if the most it draws is 48A?
Breakers must be rated 20% more than the continuous load on them. They can peak up to 60A, but the "normal" load shouldn't be more than 80% of the breakers rated amperage.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Be interesting to see how this FCTP info meshes with the page that shows FCTP units starting shipping late-Nov for Dec test drives.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Be interesting to see how this FCTP info meshes with the page that shows FCTP units starting shipping late-Nov for Dec test drives.
Sorry can someone translate FCTP in words please I wasn't able to , thank you.
Sponsored