Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Their record for one shift off the Final line is like 20
So don’t hold your breath but maybe

20 a hour
400 a day maybe?

20 per shift

20 per shift dear lord

You better come down here and start cracking the whip Lol. You worked the truck and navaigator launch to a T we could of used you down here.
I may be late to the party, but I think we know that @trutolife27 is/was an employee of Ford, is that correct? I take from this exchange that he also may have been involved with getting manufacturing going on a new model of vehicle or two in the past. With those assumptions I have a question about auto manufacturing.

How does the beginning usually go with an assembly line? Is it normal for things to just run really slowly to make sure the quality is good? Am I right in assuming that maybe they are running things extra slow to make sure they get things right for now? I am thinking maybe if this were the first few days of a compliance car, there would be a little more of a "that's good enough, keep 'em going" attitude.

Do they check things like panel gaps and alignment as they go and reject/redo assembly parts from time to time as the assembly line gets going?

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3, Tahoe, Mustang Mach E Premium (on order)
Occupation
Communications/Marketing
Country flag
If they have extra parts, I wouldn't mind upgrading my Premium to have red brake calipers...

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
If they have extra parts, I wouldn't mind upgrading my Premium to have red brake calipers...
You can call and possible upgrade now - 844.802.6634 per Ford Instagram post.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I guarantee Michigan won't lose this year!
It genuinely amazes me as an Ohio transplant that all of the Michigan-Ohio nonsense started with "We Want Toledo!"

(yes I know why, but it is still amusing to me as someone living in 2020.)

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
It genuinely amazes me as an Ohio transplant that all of the Michigan-Ohio nonsense started with "We Want Toledo!"

(yes I know why, but it is still amusing to me as someone living in 2020.)
Yeah I don't know why people in MI are sore about it, we got the UP for not getting Toledo (and, honestly, I think I like the UP better than Toledo ;) ).

OP
OP
trutolife27

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
I may be late to the party, but I think we know that @trutolife27 is/was an employee of Ford, is that correct? I take from this exchange that he also may have been involved with getting manufacturing going on a new model of vehicle or two in the past. With those assumptions I have a question about auto manufacturing.

How does the beginning usually go with an assembly line? Is it normal for things to just run really slowly to make sure the quality is good? Am I right in assuming that maybe they are running things extra slow to make sure they get things right for now? I am thinking maybe if this were the first few days of a compliance car, there would be a little more of a "that's good enough, keep 'em going" attitude.

Do they check things like panel gaps and alignment as they go and reject/redo assembly parts from time to time as the assembly line gets going?
during Launch the line is slowed way down and slowly speed back up tell the right JPH are meet.
When models change over so does the jobs on the lines. Parts start being put on in different areas jobs change who put on what part, jobs added here take here. Its a long process.

They have to make sure when the body style changed so does the line so it does not effect the efficiently. Your automobile manufacturers hire company's in Detroit like kuka, valiant, and others to set up the lines and test the process build, and the sub assembly's.

Then you would make 10 to 15 a day ship them to the plant they go to aka Chicago, saint Louis, Michigan, Kentucky. When there the body shell would go down the line and finished building paint, trim, engine, chassis, frame. Everything has to be check and if wrong info sent back up to Detroit to fix. Water leaks, baffles, aero problems, sealer. List goes on and on.

Its a long process. But a plant like the mach-e is all down there, there was not a product in the way. The plant was cleaned out and retooled. Kinda like a brand new plant.

Here is some videos at the plant i work.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
during Launch the line is slowed way down and slowly speed back up tell the right JPH are meet.
When models change over so does the jobs on the lines. Parts start being put on in different areas jobs change who put on what part, jobs added here take here. Its a long process.

They have to make sure when the body style changed so does the line so it does not effect the efficiently. Your automobile manufacturers hire company's in Detroit like kuka, valiant, and others to set up the lines and test the process build, and the sub assembly's.

Then you would make 10 to 15 a day ship them to the plant they go to aka Chicago, saint Louis, Michigan, Kentucky. When there the body shell would go down the line and finished building paint, trim, engine, chassis, frame. Everything has to be check and if wrong info sent back up to Detroit to fix. Water leaks, baffles, aero problems, sealer. List goes on and on.

Its a long process. But a plant like the mach-e is all down there, there was not a product in the way. The plant was cleaned out and retooled. Kinda like a brand new plant.

Love this stuff. Used to tour the Canton Ford Forging plant when I was a kid and dad worked there. Open house was always a highlight of the summer. Thanks for bringing back good memories.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Love this stuff. Used to tour the Canton Ford Forging plant when I was a kid and dad worked there. Open house was always a highlight of the summer. Thanks for bringing back good memories.
I know a guy that used to work in the Brook Park plant. He gave me a tour once. I owned my 1995 Mustang GT convertible at the time. At one point he pointed and said, "that is where your engine was built." I still get excited remembering that.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

Awesome! Thanks for posting!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Great response. Thanks for the quick lesson.

Here's a gymnastics analogy. Give Dominique Dawes a brand new floor routine, including a couple of new moves. It will take her weeks to get it down, months to perfect it. Even longer if she goes to a "first ever" move and will have to spend weeks on that one move alone.

We all want our cars to be perfect.
Sponsored