David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
I'm afraid the frunk is going to be more trouble than it's worth most of the time. Sounds like it'll be pretty much like opening the hood of the car, or the trunk of a sedan. The edges will probably be dirty, and it's more effort to either pull the inside release first, or fish for the fob in my pocket, or open the phone app. Then fish under the hood for a release (I assume there's one) and manually pull it up.

All the doors just take are a quick button push. The liftgate has a button or foot activation with a power opening. But the frunk hood is manual.

I suspect the frunk will just become long-term storage and/or infrequently-used spare cargo space.
Yeah you know I had always anticipated using it as my primary trunk, but now that you say that I guess all the things I usually have rolling around in the trunk Iā€˜d put up there. Car cleaning supplies emergency kits and things like that.

I still wish under the trunk load floor was more usable, Iā€™d really prefer to put everything there and have the trunk available as well as the front for quicker access. Take out should totally go there, no grease stains.
Sponsored

MerryBrown

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Escape, Red Ford Mach-E on order
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
I'm afraid the frunk is going to be more trouble than it's worth most of the time. Sounds like it'll be pretty much like opening the hood of the car, or the trunk of a sedan. The edges will probably be dirty, and it's more effort to either pull the inside release first, or fish for the fob in my pocket, or open the phone app. Then fish under the hood for a release (I assume there's one) and manually pull it up.

All the doors just take are a quick button push. The liftgate has a button or foot activation with a power opening. But the frunk hood is manual.

I suspect the frunk will just become long-term storage and/or infrequently-used spare cargo space.
Hm, I guess I see mine differently. But then I live in a different climate.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There is not a second release under the hood. It's been shown in multiple videos.
Well that helps a little. Removes one step. Still though, without just a button right at the hood to hit, it's gonna be less convenient to open than the doors or the liftgate.

Ironically, that's one downside of not using an actual key to start cars anymore. I used to always have key fob in hand approaching the car when a key was needed, so it was easy to hit a fob button. But now I have to go fishing in my pocket to find it. And opening a phone app (often in bright sun approaching the car) can be a bit of a pain.

I know, first world problems. ?

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
Well that helps a little. Removes one step. Still though, without just a button right at the hood to hit, it's gonna be less convenient to open than the doors or the liftgate.

Ironically, that's one downside of not using an actual key to start cars anymore. I used to always have key fob in hand approaching the car when a key was needed, so it was easy to hit a fob button. But now I have to go fishing in my pocket to find it. And opening a phone app (often in bright sun approaching the car) can be a bit of a pain.

You can still use the key fob.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yeah you know I had always anticipated using it as my primary trunk, but now that you say that I guess all the things I usually have rolling around in the trunk Iā€˜d put up there. Car cleaning supplies emergency kits and things like that.

I still wish under the trunk load floor was more usable, Iā€™d really prefer to put everything there and have the trunk available as well as the front for quicker access. Take out should totally go there, no grease stains.
We put one of these in the back of our Escape. I'll probably move it to the Mach-E now. We use it mainly to keep groceries and stuff from rolling about much. We shop Costco and Sams Club a lot, so everything is loose. Should be the perfect width for the MME cargo area too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0881LCNFH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You can still use the key fob.
I always have 2 in my pocket though, with keys (and currently a mini bottle of Purell). So it's just enough of a chore to sort through and find the right one.

But I know that's a "problem" of my own doing. ?

MerryBrown

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Escape, Red Ford Mach-E on order
Occupation
Finance
Country flag

I bet it's just a habit thing. You will develop a new habit when you have this car. instead of reaching for the key, you will automatically be holding the phone in your hand. You will be surprised how quickly that can shift for you.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hm, I guess I see mine differently. But then I live in a different climate.
Part of it too is that we're already used to the wonderful foot-activated power liftgate in out Escapes. Those are GREAT. So I suspect we'll just keep doing what we're used for placing most things on a frequent basis. We never even touch the button.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I bet it's just a habit thing. You will develop a new habit when you have this car. instead of reaching for the key, you will automatically be holding the phone in your hand. You will be surprised how quickly that can shift for you.
I usually have phone in hand or pocket, but opening the app and getting to the right screen may be more trouble than it's worth. And sometimes my hands are full. Also, the phone can be hard to see in bright sun.

Maybe there will be a dedicated widget button for the frunk. That would help a little. Just a single press after unlocking the phone.

Even then though, I don't think the frunk will be nearly as convenient as the power liftgate. Stuff is more accessible in the back too (the frunk is more of a lean over and get down into the bottom thing, while the rear cargo area is more open and easy to access).

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
I'm used to my charger. I have my fob in my pocket and grabbing the door handle unlocks it (as long as fob is nearby). I hope the ME will be similar, and don't need to get anything out as long as the fob is near I can press the button on the vehicle to unlock it. I'm care far less about the frunk as it will not be used daily.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm used to my charger. I have my fob in my pocket and grabbing the door handle unlocks it (as long as fob is nearby). I hope the ME will be similar, and don't need to get anything out as long as the fob is near I can press the button on the vehicle to unlock it. I'm care far less about the frunk as it will not be used daily.
Our Escapes are the same. Just put your hand inside the handle and it unlocks automatically (if the fob is near).

The door button is supposed to be the same on the MME. As long as the fob is near, or the paired phone.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
There is not a second release under the hood. It's been shown in multiple videos.
So the way it works is you have to pull the inside lever twice to open the frunk. I guess that's how they get away with not having a release under the frunk because it is double latched. Each pull undoes one.

Interesting though because the instrument cluster says "hood open" not "frunk open".

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
šŸ”‘ ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ šŸ‘€
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
So the way it works is you have to pull the inside lever twice to open the frunk. I guess that's how they get away with not having a release under the frunk because it is double latched. Each pull undoes one.

Interesting though because the instrument cluster says "hood open" not "frunk open".
While you're driving to the big game, having the hood open is going to be a much bigger deal than having the wings go airborne from the open frunk.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I would also expect that to be a configuration setting for those that would prefer the seat at full height for in/out
I think so. I used the voice commands to take us to search for the seat adjustment settings on the owners manual and it worked. I think I saw a way to set owner preference but I didnt change anything. There was a setting in there for Peter or Paul I think so I didnt want to mess with it too much. I presume that is the name of the current caretaker of the car until it gets turned over to the PR and Marketing team on Monday...

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

Correct. Also worth noting....this particular car did not have the front hood release button on the key fob. I presume because it is a pre-production unit? When using the phone app.....it wont open while in motion. Must be stopped and in Park. But you are right that there is no second release like we are used to. It just lifts right up so maybe it will be a more convenient space to access then we think?

Did you notice those massive lifting struts?
Sponsored