Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Progress is still continuing as they get the plant ready for production. As I posted before, there were some key tools trapped in Dearborn when Covid-19 hit. Ford decided that they needed to make sure to get the pre-production vehicles out as close to on-schedule as possible, so they've been utilizing their plan B to get it done.

Total pre-production run of MMEs for testing and evaluation is about 300 units. Remember, these are for testing only and will be scrapped once testing is complete.

Unfortunately, tooling for two key body parts were still in Michigan. One of those is now in Cuautitlan and they will test stamping the parts out this week. That only leaves one stranded tool.

The plan continues that they will continue to produce that last part in Michigan, shipping the parts to Cuautitlan for assembly. That's fine for the pre-production but those cannot be sellable cars. Once pre-production is complete, the last tools will be shipped to Cuautitlan. My source suggests an August start for production. This i not a sure thing but July is certainly unlikely.

They're making progress with the line testing and increasing the number of workers on the line, heading up to around 300 line workers next month from the 200 working now (remember, a full line was originally planned to be around 1000).

They even have a Mustang Mach E driving around the facility for the first time.

Optimism is still high for US deliveries in late 2020.
Sponsored

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
I wonder if some of the pre-production units will end up in museums or elsewhere? The Ford Museum has a GM EV-1 vehicle. GM actually kept several other EV-1 vehicles despite public announcement that they were to be scrapped.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
And a fabrication vendor setting up something in the plant...

EjHOIum1oY47djoeMECENMPeTI&_nc_ht=scontent.fapa1-1.jpg

ETvHzkFFYf4B4CgZ2ncwQBBYZo&_nc_ht=scontent.fapa1-1.jpg

PSaulet

First Name
Pascal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vw Amarok, Tesla M3, Caterham, Annulé Mach e
Country flag
Can someone inform me of the lead time for a vehicle on the production line?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Can someone inform me of the lead time for a vehicle on the production line?
Not sure if this is what you're asking, but here's some info on order-to-delivery times for new vehicles in the US. This was for 2019, and it lists the Ford Fiesta, which was the vehicle being built at the Cuautitlan plant where the Mach-e is being built. So that's probably a good example. Average order-to-delivery time was 62 days. But that's for US delivery. I would guess that transatlantic transport would add a few weeks to that.

https://www.automotive-fleet.com/341024/average-fleet-order-to-delivery-times-worsen-in-2019

Not quite sure how that timing fits for the Mach-e, since orders will start much sooner just waiting for the plant and parts to be ready to produce. But if the August date mentioned above starts the clock on that, then that could mean the first batch showing up in the US in November. (Although if I were betting on it, I'd probably say December.)

For Europe it looks like 1Q2021 now.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Latest update is the tools will arrive in August and full production begins September. That would explain why Ford can't get them to Europe in time.

PSaulet

First Name
Pascal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vw Amarok, Tesla M3, Caterham, Annulé Mach e
Country flag
How many units per day / month will be produced ?
I believe this has already been specified but I cannot find it anymore... ;)

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
Sounds promising. Hopefully if things progress without any more issues we might see deliveries in UK Jan/Feb time. ??

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
How many units per day / month will be produced ?
I believe this has already been specified but I cannot find it anymore... ;)
I don't think we've seen anything actually announced on that, other than the 50,000 for the first model year (2021). Most of us assume that it'll be year-around production. That would suggest a pace of somewhere around 1000-1200 units per week.

But that's just an assumption.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I've just heard from my contact in Cuautitlan. Pre-production run is almost done and preparations for production are coming along well.

All of the Michigan-made parts have been shipped to Cuautitlan and the last parts for the pre-production units should be made this week, so assembly of pre-production units will be finished soon. Apparently some of the pre-production units may go to dealers to serve as demos. That means those of you waiting to decide will have a better chance to test drive one before you order.

With the last parts shipped from Michigan, the last tools are being prepped for shipment to Mexico. Those tools are scheduled to ship mid-month. They will then install, test and prep them for full production to begin. There are a few pre-production Mach Es driving around the plant now.

Folks are pretty well adjusted to to social-distancing and use of masks, face shields, and other personal protective equipment. Fingers crossed, they will have fully-staffed assembly lines once production begins. Full plant staffing is a bit under 2000.

Production may start by August (hurrah!). As they are produced, the cars will be stacked up in the parking lot as they await checking and approval. As part of the current plant construction, they are building new parking lots right now. Sorry, no estimate on the throughput of the factory, though. I may be able to get that once production gets going. We chatted about the fit and finish and other quality issues Tesla is having. My source said the Cuautitlan plant is "by far the pickiest plant Ford owns. They make sure everything is right." That was music to my ears!

As an aside, no problems from that recent earthquake but they did have to evacuate, including remembering to put on all their PPE!

So things are looking good to put the Mach E back on schedule.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
I've just heard from my contact in Cuautitlan. Pre-production run is almost done and preparations for production are coming along well.
Now you just need him to throw a couple floor mats in there when he sees your GB FE coming down the line.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Great news!
Sponsored