21 MME SR RWD, 23 MME GTPE
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag
I understand that this:

PXL_20210605_013844111.MP.jpg

... is from me driving around during this:

PXL_20210605_013848909.MP.jpg

So I parked and plugged it in, since I've arrived at home where that's easy to do.

But then nothing special happens. I don't hear any fans or chillers or whatnot. Why not?

BTW, charging is delayed until 11 pm per my vehicle's location based settings. The EVSE isn't set up with any sort of time restrictions.
@SnBGC said earlier in this thread that his fans took a bit to kick on. How long have you been plugged in?

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I understand that this:

So I parked and plugged it in, since I've arrived at home where that's easy to do.

But then nothing special happens. I don't hear any fans or chillers or whatnot. Why not?

BTW, charging is delayed until 11 pm per my vehicle's location based settings. The EVSE isn't set up with any sort of time restrictions.
There are three basic cooling strategies.
1. Circulate fluid. Very hard to hear the pumps.
2. Circulate fluid with fan on and louvers open.
3. Circulate fluid, fan on, louvers open, chiller active (compressor on).

Being late in the day, your car may have been able to manage the heat soak by just circulating fluid.

If it was afternoon. In the shade you are more likely to hear the fan turn on.

Tomorrow you might hear the chiller turn on during the peak of the day.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
If it was afternoon. In the shade you are more likely to hear the fan turn on.
I would have thought that the fan would less likely turn on in the shade. Am I confused?

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
I understand that this:

Wow! I'm glad most of my driving is early morning/late afternoon.

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME SR RWD, 23 MME GTPE
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag

LadyGator

First Name
Brittany
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, Ext. Range
Country flag
Correct. More specifically.....it just cools the battery.

The car will charge outside your schedule if that is required to achieve your target charge level by the end of the schedule or your next go time.

I installed a ChargePoint Home Flex at 48A so it will be able to recharge in the 6 hr window. The 32A EVSE I was previously using couldn't charge fast enough so my wife uses that one now. She has a PHEV Wrangler.

20210601_122035.jpg
Were you trying to hit the charging time of only a 6 hour window for lower electricity costs? I'm in Houston, and new to the EV world, and trying to figure out if switching to a new energy plan would help control costs. I've heard of people who get discounted or "free" energy at night.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Were you trying to hit the charging time of only a 6 hour window for lower electricity costs? I'm in Houston, and new to the EV world, and trying to figure out if switching to a new energy plan would help control costs. I've heard of people who get discounted or "free" energy at night.
Remember, you don't need to charge to full or some arbitrary percentage. You just need enough charge to cover your next day's driving with a a bit of cushion to cover unexpected driving. I think @SnBGC does a lot of driving on a regular basis so he needs to be prepared to cover that.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Yes. My energy costs during that 6 hour window is around 6 cents per kW compared to 25 cents in the peak of the day from 2pm to 8pm.

However the times in between are also not too bad (about 7.5 cents) so I have expanded my charge window a bit to allow the 32A charging rate. 48A is just too much for my comfort level. The car prefers 32A charging as well.