Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
Is it just the range that gets affected by winter or does the time to charge as well? I live just outside Boston so am a little concerned. We also don't have a driveway and I'm not sure what impact that may have on charging.
So no garage or driveway? I am a bit north of Boston, EV for 7 years now, always garaged in winter. My Select AWD gets about 220 miles in Summer, I am guessing 160 miles in winter with garage. The impact concern would be the car will be using battery power to keep it warm, if it sits on a charger it pulls from that to heat the battery.

With regard to the screen, I love it, find it easy, and I like that it is flat as my kids watch it all the time from the back seat.

Also see a lot of negativity on Paak, I love it, but if you dont you can just carry a regular key.
Sponsored

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Dislikes:
  • FordPass app is garbage
  • PAAK is slow and inconsistent
  • Some aspects of the in-car software are just too limited, slow and difficult (time to power up and become usable, accessing the camera, showing charging rate, as examples).
  • The suspension is not great. Harsh on rough/cracked/uneven roads. But pretty nice on smooth roads and highways.
  • Wouldn't apply to new cars, but I'm disappointed in the HVJBJ situation. I would say that it's affecting my perspective on Ford as a first-time owner. I'm hoping there's more planned on this.
  • Seats in the Premium trim could use more bolstering. But I'm satisfied in general.
  • I really wish they'd find a way to get Netflix on the touchscreen (for charging). In general it seems like a large and beautiful screen that is tragically underutilized.
  • The wireless charger just can't really be used with Carplay. The phone gets dangerously hot.

• Interior and exterior design and styling (for the most part). Just not the narrow wheels.
  • The torque and overall feeling of an EV powertrain
  • I like the touchpad. It's controversial, but I prefer it to the more traditional looking built-in screens. It's a statement.
  • I like Ford's balance between touchscreen and physical controls. It's futuristic, but not as overdone as Tesla.
  • It's a detail, but I love the pony puddle lights. I just wish they were more reliable with PAAK.
  • I really like the headlights. Very bright, with a crisp top edge to the beam. The auto-dimming works well.
  • The glass roof is controversial, but I love it, and I think Ford did a nice job treating the MME glass to limit heat.
  • I like the wireless Carplay experience, how big and beautiful it is, and how it still leaves native car functions on the screen in parallel, and how it also integrates Apple Maps "next turn" directions inside the cluster display.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Loves:
  • Fun to drive
  • versatile/holds a lot
  • charging at home
  • comfortable
  • handsfree bluecruise (when it engages)
  • android auto on the big screen, especially with waze
  • My ER RWD has great range, and is very good on road trips

Things that could be better:
  • handsfree bluecruise doesn't always engage on roads it should
  • not having a frunk open button on the remote
  • every once in a while the infotainment system acts weird

jay1122

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E select AWD
Country flag
Likes: Top notch mustang style exterior. Decent firm sporty handling. Decent interior. I too, hated that center screen ipad slap on design prior to purchase. But after use, it is actually very good. Nice quality screen and very responsive. I actually would want ford to put the exact Mach-E interior on the new V8 mustang. Never liked the mustang interior, feels very cheap with the small screen, plastic panels, cheap buttons, and hand brake lever.

Dislike: Software, Software, Software. USB media fails to load time to time and jumps to radio on startup. Bluetooth phone disconnect quite often during call. PAAK not as reliable, but often times take the phone out of pocket fixes it.

Now about the competitions. I also test drove Bolt EUV, EV6, Ioniq5. The bolt EUV is definitely inferior, but the price represents a good value. The EV6 is the serious contender, comparable interior quality with traditional design approach. The exterior is not as good looking as the Mach E in my opinion. The ioniq 5 SEL I drove has its unique exterior design that I would say is good, but the interior is just way too much of hard plastic. Like Honda civic level car, not a 53K car. No center console, just a hard plastic cup holder. Terrible interior.

The new blazer EV looks promising. The Cadillac lyriq looks good too. But Cadillac being a luxurious brand is definitely going to cost more when spec and features are similar.

OP
OP

beckbear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus NX
Country flag
So no garage or driveway?
Oops -- meant we have a driveway, no garage. I don't do a ton of driving so won't be on charger too much but, it is a concern. When you say it will be using the battery to keep it warm I'm not sure what you are saying. Is it only while charging that it needs to keep the car warm so it can charge or something else? How much charge does it drain in the cold sitting? Based on my driving patterns I definitely won't need to charge it daily

Clicker

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hate having my car leave me high and dry with no warning as stated in my thread "Vehicle Network Communication Error" posted earlier today.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag

Dislikes: Rotary shifter (needs a ratcheting or dual gate inline shifter. The rotary shifter plain sucks)
Placement of hazard flasher switch (they get triggered almost every time my dog gets in the car because he likes to piss me off. The fuel door switch in my ā€˜14 Fusion Energi was there and my last dog used to hit that on purpose)
Poor access to 12 V battery (fixed that with a modification)

Ford Mustang Mach-E What do you love....and hate? B62EDE9C-6EF4-4BD9-8FA6-57549B8AE56F

GT 5 second limit (canā€™t currently do anything about that)
Empty depressions where our EU and CN market friends have cargo rings at the front of the cargo area
Lack of pet mode

These are mostly annoyances and donā€™t affect my driving when I am in dog transport mode (except the last two). Iā€™m sure there is something I forgot. šŸ˜ŠšŸ©

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
Oops -- meant we have a driveway, no garage. I don't do a ton of driving so won't be on charger too much but, it is a concern. When you say it will be using the battery to keep it warm I'm not sure what you are saying. Is it only while charging that it needs to keep the car warm so it can charge or something else? How much charge does it drain in the cold sitting? Based on my driving patterns I definitely won't need to charge it daily
The battery likes a sweet spot of temperature, others here will probably know it better, but something like if its below 50degrees, or above 80, then energy is used to warm or cool the battery. Its not much energy in the summer, but winter is more noticeable. You can view it in the car to see where your energy is going, Driving, Climate, Accessories, Battery...With a driveway you install your charger so you can plug it while parked, then if you notice that drain in winter just leave it plugged when not used.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Is it just the range that gets affected by winter or does the time to charge as well? I live just outside Boston so am a little concerned. We also don't have a driveway and I'm not sure what impact that may have on charging.
Charging time is unaffected. Range is all thatā€™s impacted and only below about 30 F. I would recommend a home L2 charger, if possible. Part of the advantage of an electric car is having a ā€œfull tank of gasā€ every day. Itā€™s not a deal breaker, but Iā€™d be annoyed if I had to DCFC every few days and I live 3 miles away from a DCFC.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
The screen is, interestingly, one of my husband's dislikes about the car. He feels that it is just a big iPad in the center of the car (feels that way about Tesla as well). It doesn't really bother me although I do kind of like the landscape screen in the Lyriq that angles towards the driver. Buying, or not buying, a car because of a screen seems kind of silly but am curious as to the usability of it. Yes, someday I'll be able to test drive and get a better feel for it but, as of now forced to ask questions...
I find the system very usable. Hint: voice commands. Most people (particularly reviewers who whine about the lack of hard button controls) donā€™t seem to have caught on to this technology that has ā€œexistedā€ since 1960s Star Trek šŸ™„

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

Dislikes: Rotary shifter (needs a ratcheting or dual gate inline shifter. The rotary shifter plain sucks)
Placement of hazard flasher switch (they get triggered almost every time my dog gets in the car because he likes to piss me off. The fuel door switch in my ā€˜14 Fusion Energi was there and my last dog used to hit that on purpose)
Poor access to 12 V battery (fixed that with a modification)

Ford Mustang Mach-E What do you love....and hate? B62EDE9C-6EF4-4BD9-8FA6-57549B8AE56F

GT 5 second limit (canā€™t currently do anything about that)
Empty depressions where our EU and CN market friends have cargo rings at the front of the cargo area
Lack of pet mode

These are mostly annoyances and donā€™t affect my driving when I am in dog transport mode (except the last two). Iā€™m sure there is something I forgot. šŸ˜ŠšŸ©
I would never want to contradict the esteemed @HuntingPudel , but I would suggest that the rotary shifter is a matter of preference. Jaguars have rotary shifters šŸ˜€ also, letā€™s hope you donā€™t have to get to your 12 volt battery so often you need to build a special access port for it šŸ˜‰

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I would never want to contradict the esteemed @HuntingPudel , but I would suggest that the rotary shifter is a matter of preference. Jaguars have rotary shifters šŸ˜€ also, letā€™s hope you donā€™t have to get to your 12 volt battery so often you need to build a special access port for it šŸ˜‰
Heh, I detest the rotary shifter. Totally personal preference. Itā€™s fully the reason I didnā€™t trade in my ā€™14 Fusion Energi for one that had CarPlay. šŸ¤ŖšŸ©

I have had to access the 12V battery 4 times. 3 FDRS sessions and once when I got a 12V low warning. The 12V low was before I put in the jump point, as was the first FDRS session. I still havenā€™t lost a clip, but Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s coming. šŸ˜±šŸ©

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
None. I have a one car garage full of stuff, so I park on the driveway. Buy an EVSE (charger) rated for outdoors (I have a Grizzl-E). Charging the car in cold weather is fine, but in freezing sleet or something you don't want to leave it plugged in or it might get coated with ice and thus stuck - other than that you'll be fine. You might consider a carport?

RobbertPatrison

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice White Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
  • Looks and styling, especially of my Ice White edition. A prominent hood visible with sexy curves is visible from the driver's seat. In my previous ICE and EV cars I could not see the hood. I love the design of the white aluminum rims.
  • Fun to drive with effortless power.
  • The 1-pedal drive is great with excellent regenerative braking down to a full stop. I hardly ever tough the brake pedal.
  • Very quiet ride on the highway.
  • Higher seating position, easy to get and out of the car.
  • Interior styling with different materials that work well together: cloth, faux aluminum, and faux leather.
  • Huge center screen with a physical power knob. It generally works well.
  • The small door handles with the round button are cool and practical. It is nice to have an entry code as a backup.
  • Great wireless CarPlay integration on the large screen.
  • Apple Watch app for easy pre-cooling of the car without taking the phone out of the pocket.
  • The rear cross-traffic warning system and blind spot warnings work very well.
  • The headlights are bright.
  • BlueCruise works OK in stop-and-go traffic
  • Fit and finish are quite good. I had zero issues until now.
Dislikes/Could improve:
  • No easy button to open the frunk. The frunk is a pain to close: either slamming it or push with two hands. As a result, I have only once used the frunk.
  • No single button to switch on the 360 camera. The camera view lacks clarity.
  • The premium faux-leather seats use cloth on all areas that are not visible. You can feel some awkward cheapness on the left and front sides.
  • I am not a fan of the fake-leather on the steering wheel: the surface that is touched all the time feels cheap with sharp edges from the stitching. My Volt, Bolt, T-bird and Sienna all had leather wrapped wheels that felt good, even after many years of use.
  • Lane-keeping assistance is poor and unreliable, especially in city streets.
  • BlueCruise is pretty poor: it just does not work well enough on busy and/or curved highways in Silicon Valley. BlueCruise does not see cars in adjacent lanes and therefore steers awkwardly close to other traffic.
  • Inverter whining noise at 30mph.
  • There is no integrated cover for the glass roof. No matter what is claimed about how good the special glass blocks the rays, the bright California sun shining through the roof is irritating and warm. I fixed this with an aftermarket shade.
  • The rotary gear shifter is a pain to put in reverse under pressure while making 3-point turns.
  • The wireless charging pad overheats the phone.
  • The MME's energy efficiency is a little disappointing. Even while driving very slow and smooth in perfect weather, I remain 5% below the EPA range. Under similar conditions I got 15% better than EPA in my previous EVs.
Bugs:
  • The power rear hatch randomly aborts with the horn sounding.
  • PAAK is not reliable.
  • OTA Software updates are messy: no good information on the current version and its features.

Premium AWD extended range.

Last edited:

River Rat

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mustang Mach Ex Iced Bue, 23 Lightning Ext SW
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Overall performance and handling (premium AWD ER)
High quality interior
Sync 4A (yes, we all complain about it, but it is good, and the 15.5ā€ screen is very nice!)
Door opening mechanisms are cool
BlueCruise HandsFree is great in areas where it works (again, remember, this is Fordā€™s first time out of the gate)
Appearance (ok, thatā€™s subjective)
Interior space
Range (see below)

Dislikes
Seats - they should have fore and aft tilt and they should be ventilated. The rear outboard positions should be heated. The rear seat backs should recline like the ones on the Escape
Key fob should have a frunk release
Hard button to turn on cameras at low speeds (below 5 MPH)
Charger door is a joke - go find someone who designed every fuel filler flap for every ICE car since the 1970s and get that person to design the charger door. It shouldnā€™t be the complicated ā€œwill it close?ā€ ā€œWill it randomly pop openā€ thing they have now
Wider tires (subjective)
Winter range (every electric car has this issue and I donā€™t think thereā€™s any way to fix it short of a Ford Nucleon)
I've got a 22 and it has a frunk button on the fob. Agree with seat tilt, also have a 2013 F150 love the seat
Sponsored