What is the lvl 2 charging speed of the Mach E? "scheduled charge did not begin" error

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
The next step is to find a dealership that can test charging with a 48A level 2 Ford charger to confirm it is a car problem (checking the boxes, as it were).
Yep, eliminate the EVSE as the cause first. Should be easy to do.
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Here's a quick update with a healthy sanity check baked in. I just spoke with a Ford engineer on a 3-way call with the BEV team's customer service, and he confirmed that the Mach-E can charge at up to 48A. He also confirmed what we understood, in that the delivered current can be higher, and that the on-board charger would regulate that down to 48A max. I described the issue I am having in detail and he thinks there is most likely a software problem. The next step is to find a dealership that can test charging with a 48A level 2 Ford charger to confirm it is a car problem (checking the boxes, as it were). He was a bit shocked that Crossroads Ford of Apex did not have this capability because he thought it was a prerequisite for selling the car, but hopefully another dealership in the area can fully test and diagnose the Mach-E. He also asked me to give him the link to the other thread detailing this problem because he did not know about this issue. Maybe we'll see real movement on this problem now!
P0E5F - Battery Charger Coupler Temperature 'A' Too High

This DTC sets during AC charging and the charge port temperature is equal to or exceeds a threshold of 105°C for 10 seconds. This fault results in the SOBDM stopping charging and go to a fault status until the over-temperature condition clears.

Possible Sources
  • EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment)
  • High Environmental Temperatures
  • Charge Port Coupler Temperature Sensor A (part of charge port)
  • SOBDM
If it does it with a different 48A EVSE, then you need a new charge port. Look for signs of melting.

The next step is to find a dealership that can test charging with a 48A level 2 Ford charger to confirm it is a car problem (checking the boxes, as it were). He was a bit shocked that Crossroads Ford of Apex did not have this capability because he thought it was a prerequisite for selling the car, but hopefully another dealership in the area can fully test and diagnose the Mach-E.
It damn right should be a requirement to have both a NEMA 14-50 and a 48A charge station in order to sell the Mach-E for precisely this reason so charging issues can be duplicated and addressed. The dealer should have to install an 80A charger before they can sell the F150 Lightning as well.

Last edited:

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I've mentioned some of my experiences with the "scheduled charging did not begin" error I've been getting after the BlueCruise update in the thread dedicated to that topic. Well, after taking the car to the dealership for the second time, I've been told that the car isn't rated for 48A, only 40A, and that I should be using the Ford-branded charger at home, not a Chargepoint. I laughed at the brand thing, but is the car only approved for 40A? I've read multiple places it is 48A, and was charging at that speed for a year before the update forced me to drop my charging amperage to 30A.

20220808_174933.jpg
WSM 414-03B High Voltage Battery Charging System
Description and Operation:

AC Charging

The on-board Battery Charger Control Module (BCCM), also known as the SOBDM is a liquid-cooled component that charges the high voltage battery. High voltage battery charging occurs when the vehicle is not operating and plugged into an AC (120V or 240V) Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE). During 120V charging the EVSE cordset is rated up to 12 amps or 30 amps for 240V charging depending on the household receptacle being used. It is recommended to use a dedicated electrical outlet to ensure adequate current supply for charging. A 240V ( AC Level 2) household charging station can also be utilized rated up to 40 amps or commercial charging station rated up to 80 amps.

@Ford Motor Company Please update the Mach-E workshop manual to reflect that the Mach-E will accept up to 48A from a L2 AC charger, and can be used with an EVSE of any current rating. This person wasted a dealer trip because of that error.

jasonpel

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select
Country flag
I've mentioned some of my experiences with the "scheduled charging did not begin" error I've been getting after the BlueCruise update in the thread dedicated to that topic. Well, after taking the car to the dealership for the second time, I've been told that the car isn't rated for 48A, only 40A, and that I should be using the Ford-branded charger at home, not a Chargepoint. I laughed at the brand thing, but is the car only approved for 40A? I've read multiple places it is 48A, and was charging at that speed for a year before the update forced me to drop my charging amperage to 30A.

20220808_174933.jpg
I call BS to the max. "Per workshop manual max level 2 charging is 40 Amps." Really? Then why is the factory-issued charger, specific to this car, set for 48A? That's a nonsense cop-out by the service technician, whom I expect to know the specs on equipment associated with the car.

Ming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME premium SR RWD; 2022 Civic; Tesla MYP
Country flag
I call BS to the max. "Per workshop manual max level 2 charging is 40 Amps." Really? Then why is the factory-issued charger, specific to this car, set for 48A? That's a nonsense cop-out by the service technician, whom I expect to know the specs on equipment associated with the car.
the technician lacks basic electric knowledge. a higher rated supply can't force high current. it's like saying a 200A household supply would toast your light bulbs, chargers, and ovens.

OP
OP

josh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
n/a
Country flag
Update: I was finally able to get a Ford engineer involved with the dealership, and decided to take the car in for a third time in the hopes that they would actually be able to confirm there was a problem with L2 charging above 30A. After only a few hours I got a call saying they found a problem with the charge port and would replace it. The part was ordered and I'm now waiting to schedule the work. My advice is if you get this error (also described by several people in https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/scheduled-charge-did-not-begin-charging-issues.19449/ ) get a Ford BEV engineer involved as soon as the dealership tells you nothing is wrong. It will save some trips to the dealership.

Regulus7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993 C4 Cab, Macan S, SantaFe, Ice Blue MME GT
Occupation
Money Manager
Country flag
Update: I was finally able to get a Ford engineer involved with the dealership, and decided to take the car in for a third time in the hopes that they would actually be able to confirm there was a problem with L2 charging above 30A. After only a few hours I got a call saying they found a problem with the charge port and would replace it. The part was ordered and I'm now waiting to schedule the work. My advice is if you get this error (also described by several people in https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/scheduled-charge-did-not-begin-charging-issues.19449/ ) get a Ford BEV engineer involved as soon as the dealership tells you nothing is wrong. It will save some trips to the dealership.
So I have been using the Ford 32A charger as my 40A EVSE was giving me the charge fault error as well over the past weekend. I had assumed it was the EVSE, at work I can charge at 30A so there is no problem there. I know that my 40A EVSE gets about 105F when its charging, I think its routinely over that as in the past my other BEV I charged with this EVSE without issue and I often noted the temperature at 115 or 120F. So is the problem software related or is it this EVSE specfically that i need to buy another one that either does not have this temperature problem or that can be software controlled to ratchet down to 30A if necessary?

OP
OP

josh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
n/a
Country flag
I am using a Chargepoint Home Flex that was set to 50A for the last year, comfortably delivering 48A to my car until around the time of the BlueCruise update. Since then, it times out pretty quickly unless I have it set to below 30A. I've been using it with zero errors at 24A since this whole thing started. My guess is a similar throttle should help you, and that there is a software issue that is either causing higher temps or has made the car less tolerant of high temps than it used to be. It could instead be the 40A charger, but if the 32A charger is working, my guess is that one is probably delivering just under that and squeaking in below the acceptable threshold.

Texas-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Same issue and same multiple trips to my service department. The dealership does not have a 48A charger and tried to tell me they did charge at 48A, and it was fine. When I showed them the data from the charge session and indirectly called their lie, they admitted they do not have the ability to charge at 48A and asked me to charge again from home.

After an immediate failure at home, I'm scheduled for a charge port replacement... but it hasn't happened yet.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I am using a Chargepoint Home Flex that was set to 50A for the last year, comfortably delivering 48A to my car until around the time of the BlueCruise update. Since then, it times out pretty quickly unless I have it set to below 30A. I've been using it with zero errors at 24A since this whole thing started. My guess is a similar throttle should help you, and that there is a software issue that is either causing higher temps or has made the car less tolerant of high temps than it used to be. It could instead be the 40A charger, but if the 32A charger is working, my guess is that one is probably delivering just under that and squeaking in below the acceptable threshold.
When I first got my CPHF, I was charging the car at 48A and it was getting pretty hot. The fans were on overdrive and compressor at high speed. The A/C compressor chills the battery coolant. The radiator cools the motor and electronics coolant. Nothing cools the terminals at the J1772 port but it does have temp sensors so I hooked up my scan tool and monitored.

As far as I could tell, the temps were in range even at 48A but summer hadn't arrived yet. There is some language in the shop manual that says the charge port can overheat just due to high ambient temps.

That sentence, along with the limited data I observed up to that point was enough to convince me NOT to charge at 48A. 32A had worked for me up to this point and I believe the car has thanked me for it.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
When I first got my CPHF, I was charging the car at 48A and it was getting pretty hot. The fans were on overdrive and compressor at high speed. The A/C compressor chills the battery coolant. The radiator cools the motor and electronics coolant. Nothing cools the terminals at the J1772 port but it does have temp sensors so I hooked up my scan tool and monitored.

As far as I could tell, the temps were in range even at 48A but summer hadn't arrived yet. There is some language in the shop manual that says the charge port can overheat just due to high ambient temps.

That sentence, along with the limited data I observed up to that point was enough to convince me NOT to charge at 48A. 32A had worked for me up to this point and I believe the car has thanked me for it.
I hear minimal fan noise when I charge at 48 Amps. I wonder if software module updates change that. Or maybe the GT has better cooling? Anyway, it is strange you have to turn down the current to quiet the car.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag

what was the problem with the charge port?

OP
OP

josh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
n/a
Country flag
Good question. They didn't tell me and my sales rep rushed off before I could ask. I'll ask when the replacement service happens.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I hear minimal fan noise when I charge at 48 Amps. I wonder if software module updates change that. Or maybe the GT has better cooling? Anyway, it is strange you have to turn down the current to quiet the car.
Yeah. It was changed with one of the updates. I think the GT cooling is about the same as far as thermal heat exchange capabilities. Configuration is different obviously since that front motor takes up so much room and it has the oil-to-water cooler.

When I attended a workshop for a major EVSE manufacturer, the engineers there were very apprehensive about the industry standard for the charge port. They feel it should be much beefier if people are going to be charging at 50A-80A on a regular basis. However, the data sheets show that it can handle the work so maybe it's fine? I dunno.....I don't need 48A so I don't use it. I plug my Mach-E into a basic 32A EVSE on my side of the driveway while my wife's Wrangler uses the CPHF.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
what was the problem with the charge port?
Probably nothing. They saw a code and then followed the diag tree and couldn't duplicate the fault.....likely because they were using a 32A EVSE so they ended up at "replace the component". With luck, they will also attempt to re-install the software for the on board charger and that will do the trick.
Sponsored